Ciproflox (cifloxin) For 3 Days

surface

Doctor prescribed me Cifloxin for food poisoning, but when I got home I noticed I only have 6 pills to be taken twice daily. Is such a short time normal for this antibiotic?

Is this the same stuff as Cipro? I was given that years ago in the US before my first trip to Thailand, but I never took it as the doctor said it had rather strong side effects. Can't remember what I was carrying it around for... in case of food poisoning perhaps?

It says to take it with meals, but I have NO appetite at all. Can I just take it with a glass of OJ or water, or should I really try to eat something?

Doctor prescribed me Cifloxin for food poisoning, but when I got home I noticed I only have 6 pills to be taken twice daily. Is such a short time normal for this antibiotic?

Is this the same stuff as Cipro? I was given that years ago in the US before my first trip to Thailand, but I never took it as the doctor said it had rather strong side effects. Can't remember what I was carrying it around for... in case of food poisoning perhaps?

It says to take it with meals, but I have NO appetite at all. Can I just take it with a glass of OJ or water, or should I really try to eat something?

[/quote

I think 3 days is normal providing it is the right drug for the ailment.

Eat crisps/crackers, then bland food. If you come from farangland stick to boiled pots and bread maybe.

I don't think you should drink juice at all.

Try ORS (oral rehydration salts) available at 7/11 too.

Search yahoo/google to check it's an appropriate drug, could have sworn it is for skin and URTI.

Depends on the condition. Most food poisioning can be wiped out in 1 day (such as Ecolli infection). Cipro is a very potent drug. Other bacteria such as Salmonella can take months. I was on Cipro for 2 months one time for a very serious salmonella and C-diff infection. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Learned my lesson with stomach illness. These days I take it seriously and treat it immediately. If you are not well, then go back for more. BTW... many of the local pharmacies have fake drugs, they just don't work. Good thing you got yours from the doctor.

It was almost 3.5 years ago. When lots of other antibiotics did not work for a persistent deep wound infection, I was on Cipro of some kind for a month or two. It did absolutely no good (wrong bacteria). Was not cheap. I would check for side effects, take it for three days if you think you must. If it does not work, go to another doctor.

It was almost 3.5 years ago. When lots of other antibiotics did not work for a persistent deep wound infection, I was on Cipro of some kind for a month or two. It did absolutely no good (wrong bacteria). Was not cheap. I would check for side effects, take it for three days if you think you must. If it does not work, go to another doctor.

The fact that it didn't work for your foot infection PB doesn't really invalidate this drug for use on another person for a different complait

According to Wilki, it's a broad spectrum antibiotic, which is indeed suitable for a wide range of stomach bugs.

Obviously the logical way is to pinpoint the bacteria that is causing the problem and then go from there. But most stomach upsets are thankfully short lived.

I suppose it makes sense to prescribe antibiotics on the assumption that a 3 day course may do great good, with a very small chance of harm, but isn't it a 50/50 shot whether the cause is viral or bacterial ?.

3 days of Cipro/ciprofloxacin is correct for food poisoning. It's what my doc in the US gave me when I came here, to use in case I got it. Food poisoning can't be viral. Not all stomach upsets are food poisoning, but there are usually other symptoms that allow a proper diagnosis to be made.

Cipro & Cifloxin are the same thin essentially, a broad spectrum antibiotic.If you take with food you will avoid many of the side effects so recommend you eat first.

Understand your concern about three days versus seven days - three days for food poisoning is ample, were it a stronger and more resistant type of bug such as a chest or urinary tract infection you would indeed need a longer duration.

3 days of Cipro/ciprofloxacin is correct for food poisoning. It's what my doc in the US gave me when I came here, to use in case I got it. Food poisoning can't be viral. Not all stomach upsets are food poisoning, but there are usually other symptoms that allow a proper diagnosis to be made.

Good posting- very informative.

Good posting- very informative.

Yes, thanks cathyy. What are the other symptoms BTW?

Understand your concern about three days versus seven days - three days for food poisoning is ample, were it a stronger and more resistant type of bug such as a chest or urinary tract infection you would indeed need a longer duration.

That makes sense. Thanks.

BTW... many of the local pharmacies have fake drugs, they just don't work. Good thing you got yours from the doctor.

Where did you get that info from?

Or are you just spreading gossip?

Cheers

It's happening all over the world. They have even been found at MAJOR pharamacies in the US, the pharmacies were clueless as their suppliers had been fooled. They make them in China, and likely elsewhere, and use some pretty nasty things in them.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fake+drugs+...lient=firefox-a

http://www.bangkokpost.com/131008_News/13Oct2008_news05.php

True , though the point I was making is its just as likely to be fake from doctor/hospital as a pharmacy.

Cheers

Agreed. Best you can do is inquire with the manufacturer as to it's legitimacy based on a serial number or something.