Do All Buddhist Masters Have Long Life?

camerata

Did any famous Buddhist masters of any sect have a short life? It seems like all the masters I've read about - including the Buddha himself - lived to a ripe old age despite the short life expectancy in previous centuries and the dangers of living in forests.

We all know that meditatation is good for mental health, relieving stress, etc. I wonder if it's a factor in the ancient masters having long lives? Or perhaps statistically there have been a lot more Mahayana masters, who tended to stay in remote temples away from disease-carrying crowds.

Did any famous Buddhist masters of any sect have a short life? It seems like all the masters I've read about - including the Buddha himself - lived to a ripe old age despite the short life expectancy in previous centuries and the dangers of living in forests.

We all know that meditatation is good for mental health, relieving stress, etc. I wonder if it's a factor in the ancient masters having long lives? Or perhaps statistically there have been a lot more Mahayana masters, who tended to stay in remote temples away from disease-carrying crowds.

This one is hard to nail, but I can give you a few general statements on it.

First of all, most of the historic literature about buddhism came from eastern asia, where age is revered to begin with, so the older sages naturally were given greater creedance, and more opportunities to put their word out.

Now remember that many of these historic personages, from Bodhidharma, to Guatama the Buddha himself are semi-mythical to begin with, and no proof exists that they were indeed real. Now if you are going to tell a story about a fictional character who is noble, and learned, then you would more than likely make him old. It's always possible that much of this literature came from younger writers and it was attributed to their masters. Monks aren't always angels, neither are abbots, or "Masters".

Then there is the obvious one that says the longer one lives, the greater time to learn, write, and teach. That gives the long lived more opportunities to become masters.

As for some magical quality that allows masters to achieve longer life... I personally don't believe in it, but some sects who see a more mystical form of Buddhism may have such beliefs. The Tibeten view of Lamaism suggests to me that looking at that side of buddhism may give you some answers.

Now, on the Mayhanyana scribes being more prolific, my guess is that it's due to the higher literacy rates in eastern asia, but thats just a guess, like everything I wrote, and most of what the 'masters' wrote too :o .

Like a good thesis, Buddhism isn't in the writing.... it's in the research. :D

best wishes

cv

• 2 weeks later...

Some do have a short life unfortunately. A quick check of some of the life spans of the Dalai Lamas will reveal some short ones.

Tenzin Palmo, the English Nun who spent 12 years in a cave in the Himalayas Guru died quite young as well. I think he was in his 40's. As an aside her biography "Cave in the Snow" is a good read.

Lama Yeshe who founded the FPMT one of the larger Tibetian groups in the west. Was in his early 60s I think. Chogum Trungpa who wrote cutting through Spiritual Materialism wasn't very old.

Most of the really famous Masters do tend to have a long life however, it takes time to become really famous. In the Tibetian system you have to study first which can take up to 25 years. Interestingly not all great masters are at the top of the class. Then you have to go on your meditation retreats. That's another 20 or so years usually in isolation for the most part. Then when you leave your cave with all that wisdom and experience you might be still completely unknown. Then maybe if you have some karma with students you might start to pick up some followers. Another 20 to 25 years for your teachings / books to become well known. You could well be pushing 80 at this point. No wonder they all seem old.

Now that's what I call effort. :o

:o Old age is no guarantee of respectability.

Oscar Wilde.