Thai Scrambled Egg

ThaiPhoo

Why is it that every official from the Big Cheeses right down to the lowest petty official has a chest full of medal ribbons?

Thailand must have been in one hel_l of a lot of military campaigns to warrant such colorful display, but the only military action I can recall was a non combatant contingent to Iraq, who soon had second thoughts and came home again. Hardly a distinguished effort.

Whats with teachers also sporting them? maybe for valor in subduing a classroom revolt! :o

Any ideas?

ThaiPhoo :D

Why is it that every official from the Big Cheeses right down to the lowest petty official has a chest full of medal ribbons?

Thailand must have been in one hel_l of a lot of military campaigns to warrant such colorful display, but the only military action I can recall was a non combatant contingent to Iraq, who soon had second thoughts and came home again. Hardly a distinguished effort.

Whats with teachers also sporting them? maybe for valor in subduing a classroom revolt! :o

Any ideas?

ThaiPhoo :D

Do you know any civil service Thai teachers? Why not ask one what their non-military ribbons are for. :D

My teacher neighbour assures me they are all well earned for:

Most use of the photocopier

Luckiest on the State Lottery

Turning up in the right uniform

Shiniest shoes award

Showing restraint when faced with 30 screaming, foot-stamping, whining, spoilt kids

Newest car on the lot

Borrowing most money over a 40 year working career

1/2 day attendance on how not to teach course

Highest number of songs sang in one night in the local karaoke

Best excuse for not turning up the next morning

And a hundred other well-earned reasons

Some are earned, but most are just decorations. Many soldiers and police served in the south and they are awarded medals for that. Government employees recieve them for passing exams or taking certain courses. The paratrooper jump wings, that you see almost all police wearing, are worthless as they are just part of the uniform attire for certain units. They don't even know what a parachute is. I think that it started during the Vietnam war when Thai commanders noticed that foreign soldiers that wore those wings were better soldiers.

And how about the rope stuff that I see some uniforms are fitted with? Is it a handle or a whip in case of an emergency? :o

those golden braided cords are known as Aiguillettes, it is purely ornamental and usually used to signify honor.

with regards to the medals, all civil servants uniformed or otherwise do get awarded these medals at one time or another for anything ranging from long service, good conduct, meritorious service or even participation in an event.

Awards

the fugitive still holds:

1996 "Outstanding Criminal Justice Alumnus Awards" and "Distinguished Alumni Award" (Criminal Justice Center, Sam Houston State University, USA)

1995 "1 of 3 Thai-Filipino Relations Goodwill Ambassadors" (Philippines Embassy, Thailand)

1994 - "Telecommunication Development for Social Welfare of 1993" (Telecommunication Society, Thailand)

- "1 of 12 Asian Business Tycoons" (Singapore Business Times, Singapore)

- "Asian CEO of the Year" (Financial World Magazine, USA)

- Ph.D., Honorary Doctor of Arts (Communication Arts) (Thammasart University, Thailand)

- First Thai to be granted " Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellowship" (Singapore)

1992 - "1992 Asean Business Man of the Year" (Asean Institute, Indonesia)

- "Chakra Star Honorary Award" in Economic Development (Cadet Academy Foundation, Thailand)

Royal Decorations

1974 Member (Fifth Class) of the Most Noble Order of the White Elephant

1976 Companion (Fourth Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

1980 Companion (Fourth Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

1985 Commander (Third Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

1994 Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

1995 Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

1996 Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

2001 Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Admirable Order of Direkgunabhorn

2002 Knight Commander (Second Class, lower grade) of the Mosr Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao

now you know!

Awards

1996 "Outstanding Criminal Justice Alumnus Awards" and "Distinguished Alumni Award" (Criminal Justice Center, Sam Houston State University, USA)

1995 "1 of 3 Thai-Filipino Relations Goodwill Ambassadors" (Philippines Embassy, Thailand)

1994 - "Telecommunication Development for Social Welfare of 1993" (Telecommunication Society, Thailand)

- Ph.D., Honorary Doctor of Arts (Communication Arts) (Thammasart University, Thailand)

- "Chakra Star Honorary Award" in Economic Development (Cadet Academy Foundation, Thailand)

Royal Decorations

1994 Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

1995 Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

1996 Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

2002 Knight Commander (Second Class, lower grade) of the Mosr Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao

now you know!

H'mm The Order of the White Elephant! Would certainly have a different meaning in the UK. :D

TBWG :o

PS must be plenty of scope for Pink Elephant gongs.

Awards

Royal Decorations

!

I think I should have been awarded the 2003 award for putting up with a mental cow, definitely a medal methinks :o

now you know

Edited by Mantra

Awards

Royal Decorations

now you know!

The awards associated (read different classes of) with the Crown of Thailand and The White Elephant are awarded by the HM and were previously linked to the recipient's donation of often considerable sums of money to the various charities and projects sponsored by the first family. During his prime, ex-PM Taksin was a significant donor to charities particularly those sponsored by the lady of the house and was seen as a way of gaining concession/assistance from there to his various businesses. See Paul Handley's book.

feens

When I was in the USAF, about 222 years ago, I think the silver gilding on the officers' caps were called scrambled eggs. Or birdshit.

That's correct. I was in the Navy about 222 years ago too. "Scrambled eggs" was the slang term for the oak leaves on officers hats. "Fruit salad" was the slang term for medals and ribbons.

Military Hat with "Scrambled eggs"

Example Here

Fruit salad

Example Here

Awards

Royal Decorations

now you know!

That is sooooo funny :o

"Order of the white elephant" :D

When I was in the USAF, about 222 years ago, I think the silver gilding on the officers' caps were called scrambled eggs. Or birdshit.

That's correct. I was in the Navy about 222 years ago too. "Scrambled eggs" was the slang term for the oak leaves on officers hats. "Fruit salad" was the slang term for medals and ribbons.

Military Hat with "Scrambled eggs"

Example Here

Fruit salad

Example Here

I'm sure my late father referred to what an admiral wore on his shoulder as a "kit of tools". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_of...r_rank_insignia

Is/Was this a widely used term (or is my memory playing tricks again)?

Most, if not all, those awards are for clearing paper jams on various office printers.

The top award (wings) is for jumping off an office desk & surviving the leap.

All well deserved!

Our lift operator has wings: presumably she qualified at pressing the emergency stop button!

The gold on General Officers' caps (them who got through Staff College) is the 'scrambled eggs'. [uK, that is]