Nude Calendar Sparks Controversy From Public Health Ministry

sriracha john

551000015770503.jpg

2009 Leo Beer Calendar

Licensed to thrill

An alcohol manufacturer is feeling the heat from the Public Health Ministry over its calendars of nudes

The popularity of nud_e calendars by alcohol companies has been growing each year, since the economic crisis, that they have proven to be a hit. This year, however, they have become a controversy, pitting a manufacturer against the Public Health Ministry.

Boon Rawd Brewery's 2009 nud_e calendars for Leo beer is facing the wrath of the ministry, which says that it violates the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2007.

"nud_e calendars have become popular again since the economic recovery," says Witawat Jayapani, president of the Advertising Association of Thailand. "And alcohol sellers have bigger budgets to spend on making these calendars as part of their sales promotion."

In 1985, a famous actress received Bt100,000 to pose nud_e. But during the economic crisis and with strong social opposition, alcohol companies did not gain as the desire for nud_e calendars waned, Witawat says.

Then, as lately as 2001, another famous actress reportedly bagged as much as Bt3 million for posing nud_e.

Anyone disseminating pictures of nudes or so-called "farm sex" or even posting Internet messages considered to provoke dangerous behaviour - such as persuading people to commit suicide - will probably be found guilty, says Culture Surveillance Centre Director Ladda Thangsu-pachai.

She says the Judicial Council is considering if some part of a draft bill tackling such crimes should be changed or not before proposing it to the Cabinet and then the Senate for consideration.

"The act is expected to be launched within three months," she adds.

Dr Saman Futrakul, Director of the ministry's Alcohol and Tobacco Consumption Con-trol, says he is monitoring Boon Rawd Brewery to see whether it will continue distributing the calendar. He warned the company last week not to do so or he would inform the police.

Witawat believes that the distribution of nud_e calendars will face more resistance in the future.

Top model Methinee "Luk Ked" Kingpayom was in charge of the controversial nud_e-calendar project for Leo beer. She has been leading the project for the past five years.

Cheers beer is another which has gone in for such calendars this year.

- Daily XPress / December 22, 2008

I think the Public Health Ministry would have more important things to concentrate on, than a moral crusade.

Maybe it's a spelling mistake in The Dailyxpress. and it is actually the Ministry of Pubic Health. :o

nothing against the photos at all - the are nicely shot - but i fail to see what topless chicks have to do with beer?

everyone knows what happens once the beer goggles are on :o:D :D

I think the (subliminal) message is, drink enough beer and pretty soon every girl you see will look like these calendar girls ! :D

I think the Public Health Ministry would have more important things to concentrate on, than a moral crusade.

Having failed in combating HIV/Aids, they needed a new scapegoat, that they actually could defeat.. :o

What kind of calendars do companies send the Health Ministry. I haven's seen girls simulating sex with farm on a calendar for more than 40 years. The picture posted on this thread was neither nud_e or could cause anyone, anywhere, except Persia, to commit suicide.

Perhaps the culture police should consider workshops for teenagers who will be hitting the streets of urban cities here to work as prostitutes to feed there families who have no income anymore. The should be telling the parents it is not acceptable to sell young children into the business and give them a talking to on the reasons why.

This sounds just like the Information and Technology Ministry that used to have a guy who thought he know about the internet but never really used it. I personally will give them 35 Million Zimbabwe Dollars to refocus on peoples health.

Scatilly clad yes, nud_e no.

I just can not imagine much of a market for "farm sex" calendars,

no matter HOW much beer that gets imbibed in...

New government and a ministery has to make an announcement

to show it's doing something... to not get replaced,

Anything, something, not sleeping.

Same same.

Edited by animatic

Anyone disseminating pictures of nudes or so-called "farm sex" or even posting Internet messages considered to provoke dangerous behaviour - such as persuading people to commit suicide - will probably be found guilty, says Culture Surveillance Centre Director Ladda Thangsu-pachai.

What do nud_e pictures, farm sex and suicide have to do with each other? Absolutely nothing. What a non sequitur. The Culture Ministry should change itself to the Mindless Head in the Sand Ministry.

Those calenders aren't nud_e, at least the covers. The models are topless and covering their nipples, as if nipples are somehow offensive. Anyway, it's the same in many countries but it always boggles my mind. What's the big deal with nipples and nudity?

Does this mean if I drink their beer, that pretty girls like that will like me?

How about an equal opportunity beer ad poster, say, with revealing photos of the primary beer drinkers themselves: middle-aged ex-pats in Pattaya, off-duty Phuket policemen and their wives, et. al. ....wouldn't that be more realistic? ....and less liable to offend the Thought-Control folks.

Those calenders aren't nud_e, at least the covers. The models are topless and covering their nipples, as if nipples are somehow offensive. Anyway, it's the same in many countries but it always boggles my mind. What's the big deal with nipples and nudity?

Without trying to ignite a major debate, there is a large segment of our societies that seem to think violence and destruction are acceptable, but any kind of sex or nudity is a violation of moral standards.

It's rather pathetic that I could have posters of protesters being beaten, kicked and clubbed in the streets, and no one would blink an eye. Yet put up something showing a scantily clad woman (or women), and risk the wrath of the "moral majority minority". :o

Says a lot about our societies.

Would be cool to have the calendar on the wall but these ladies are no more beautiful or sexy than many walking down the street.

Those ladies in school uniform we had a thread on would be a lot sexier in calendar form!!!! IMHO of course :o

Considering the reputation Thailand has and the need to get some more tourists in you would think the authorities would not shout quite so loudly. Those calendars cannot really do that much harm. No nudity just pictures of beautiful ladies, where is the problem? Maybe there are a few prudes out there who would like to turn the clock back and have all the ladies covered from head to toe in traditional attire.

Spoilsports :D

The girls are not nud_e. Culture Surveillance Centre Director Ladda Thangsu-pachai has a vivid imagination. Certainly far more dressed than the typical pole grabber at many of Thailand's entertainment venues.

I suggest that she have her budget redirected to the department of infectious diseases so that the sex worker STI surveillance program can be funded.

The girls shown are topless, but not nud_e, but I would need to see more pictures for a definitive opinion to be given. :D

Perhaps hunky-men photos might also appeal to other posters ?

If the Ministry wishes to promote Public Health, perhaps these young ladies might be shown demonstrating the use of showers and soap, or the calendars might carry suitable messages promoting safe-sex ? :o

Edited by Ricardo

I refuse to respect any govt that repeatedly does idiotic things like this. Their sense of duty and what the government can/should do is probably one of the stupidest systems I've ever heard of.

Was watching a movie on Star Movies last night... it hit me. Can't watch someone smoke a ciggy on TV but can watch a chick smoke out of her baby chute no problem. If they take care of the latter then maybe I'll pay attention to the first.

There are waaaayyy bigger problems in the country. Till they can take an honest look at themselves they'll continue to be a laughing stock....sad too. Could have done a lot with attention/money that came from Tsunami.

Paul

Without trying to ignite a major debate, there is a large segment of our societies that seem to think violence and destruction are acceptable, but any kind of sex or nudity is a violation of moral standards.

It's rather pathetic that I could have posters of protesters being beaten, kicked and clubbed in the streets, and no one would blink an eye. Yet put up something showing a scantily clad woman (or women), and risk the wrath of the "moral majority minority". :o

Says a lot about our societies.

Yes brutal absurdity. They will publish a photo of the woman run over by a train,

and people dead on gurneys and horrendous mutilations,

but show a nipple and the culture comes crashing down.

These prats know there is more sex easily available here

than any 50 countries of comparable size, this is just their attempt

at making it look like it is not SOP. We all know that 30 minutes walk or drive,

and 1,000baht, can find you a naked human willing to do most things here.

But the aging wives of hiso Government guys get on their cases less for this.

The ones the complaining most are the ones getting it the least

and most likely often from jealousies.

As a western foreigner here in Thailand, I find that the 2008 Leo Beer calendar not to be nud_e.

Last year's 2008 Leo Beer calendar:

Leo2008-1.jpg

This thread is entirely too short! Lets see the rest of the calendar :o

My wife looks exactly like the bird in the middle, after I`ve drank 13 cans of Leo.

Edited by sassienie