Newbie Aussie Needs Some Guidance/help Please

prvj

A respectful hello to you all. I am an Aussie newbee who has met a younger thai girl in Udonthani over the web. We have been talking on the phone and exchanging emails for months now and it has come time to meet her in person. Investigations reveal that she indead does work for a small store and all other details given by her check out.

I have a Diploma in Workplace Training and assessment systems and Diploma in Frontline Management. I have worked in australia as a Lecturer in a large college in Brisbane, and have run a small training acadamy of my own, teaching english and computer subjects to new immagrants.

My enquiry is: how would I get permission to look for work in my field when I arrive and, how do I get a visa which allows me maximum time in thailand to explore this relationship and support myself at the same time.

Thankyou for your time.

Regards

Paul

A respectful hello to you all. I am an Aussie newbee who has met a younger thai girl in Udonthani over the web. We have been talking on the phone and exchanging emails for months now and it has come time to meet her in person. Investigations reveal that she indead does work for a small store and all other details given by her check out.

I have a Diploma in Workplace Training and assessment systems and Diploma in Frontline Management. I have worked in australia as a Lecturer in a large college in Brisbane, and have run a small training acadamy of my own, teaching english and computer subjects to new immagrants.

My enquiry is: how would I get permission to look for work in my field when I arrive in thailand to explore this relationship and support myself at the same time.

I also need some email pals to talk with about thai customs, expectations and honesty of thai girls, etc, etc.

Thankyou for your time.

Regards

Paul

First the visa.

A double entry Tourist visa will give you 60 day plus a 30 day extension,

then you hop out and back at one of the many borders for another 60+30 days.

That gives you almost 6 months to find out what ticks in Thailand.

Another alternative is a Multi Entry Non Imm O visa from Perth or Brisbane consulates.

You will have to do a border run every 3 months, but you can stay about 15 months

this way

I am not sure that you education or skill will be very relevant in Thailand.

There will be Thais who can do they same thing for a great deal less money

than you need to earn to get a Work Permit.

Having said that, come and look around and see what is available, you may be lucky.

Work is more likely to be available in Bangkok rather that the North East.

There is nothing to stop you looking for work whilst on a Tourist Visa, but once you find

a job you will need to get a Non Immigrant B visa. Then you employer will assist

you in getting the work permit.

You should not work on a Tourist Visa, or without a Work Permit.

My enquiry is: how would I get permission to look for work in my field when I arrive and, how do I get a visa which allows me maximum time in thailand to explore this relationship and support myself at the same time.

I also need some email pals to talk with about thai customs, expectations and honesty of thai girls, etc, etc.

Thankyou for your time.

Regards

Paul

The only thing i can say is that you will get some honest , and otherwise , replies about Thai ladies , you will be expected to refrain from calling females 'Girls ', you do not need permission to look for work only advise on how to go about it , good luck in your endeavors . Udanthani EH .

It's a little hard to tell from your post what exactly it is that you want to do here. From what you have written, it would appear that teaching is the most likely occupation. Technically, you need to have a Bachelor's Degree to do that. You might want to check out the teaching forum. There are restrictions which don't allow you to get a Work Permit on a lot of other occupations.

Best of luck to you.

If you have that much going on for you in Australia, stay there, let her come to you for a few months to see how it works out.

Oz

My wife came out here to Australia before we were married, we had been introduced in BKK by mutual friends, and she lived with them and worked in their restaurant for a few months while we went through the process of deciding whether we would get married.

Mind you, she had a pretty good job in BKK, and a degree, so it was relatively easy for her to get a visa. And if things had fallen through, she could have gone back fairly easily to her former life.

Plus, I had worked in Thailand for four years, so I understood Thai culture - to a certain extent. Financially I am pretty secure, also, so we have never had any problems about money. Yes, I have helped her family - I have helped my own family and friends over the years - and am happy to do so.

Not sure about a girl from Udon Thani, working in a small shop. Would she get a visa? Would it be fair to her to ask to take the chance of coming here, if things do not work out? What would her family think about it all?

I am even inclined to think that if she is willing to take the chance and come here that her motives might be questionable - if she is a person of good character and so on, she would have an awful lot to lose if things do not work out.

I think it would be far, far better to take a six weeks exploratory trip to Udon Thani, during the summer holidays, and do some research on the ground. That will allow you to work out (1) what sort of person she is, what sort of family she comes from, what her friends are like, etc etc -all the normal things that you should be finding out about her and (2) whether you could in fact actually live in Thailand.

If you then decided to proceed, the next step might be for her to apply for a students' visa, and come out here for a few months, with at least the semblance of a proper motive (to study) - and then take it from there if it seems to be working out. You are going to be expected to be the bread-winner, so it is very important for you to think very, very carefully before giving up your livelihood in Australia. If she is the sort of adaptable, flexible, intelligent person that can make a success of a mixed marriage, then she should be able to settle down here in Australia - in fact, it should be easier for her to live here, than it would be for you to live there. IMHO.

But, be warned, plenty of fools have rushed in over the years - there are many, many threads on the perils and pitfalls of falling in love with the wrong person for the wrong reasons.

Teaching English is certainly an alternative for generating some income in Thailand, although salaries are generally speaking on the low side (THB 30,000 per month would be good compensation). Many schools are also not motivated to get a work permit for foreigners teaching English and will just pay you under the table while you break the law. If caught, you would most likely be fined and deported. Try to find a school that will get you a work permit. A work permit will also allow you to get a Non-Immigrant "B" visa, which grants a 90 day period of stay on each entry. If you will be living in Udon Thani, runs to the Lao border at Nong Khai every 90 days would be pretty easy.

OP you have been treated kindly by my fellow posters and the advice they offer is very very good - In LoS buyer beware.

Udon Thani is just up the road from us nice place but in my opinion it has that feeling of some of the more exploited southern cities about it, and I think it is fair to say A single girl from Udon on the internet is no innocent rose so do your homework research (if necessary be a secrect squirrel) before any serious commitments especially monies monies monies I hope you get the drift.

Bon Voyage from another from the land down under the home of the Vegimite Sandwich.

Edited by mijan24

Ditto regarding you have too much going. what's her salary, 6000 Baht?

ladies have to kiss many a frog to find a prince. Why should this be any different to men? Look before you leap and get to know her folks as well.

You might be marrying the whole family, figuratively speaking.

Generalisations won't work. Get to know her and take your time.

Once you lived together for a year, take it from there. Take it easy!

post-7704-1229999681_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all of the members who took the time to reply to my post.

I accept that my spelling may not be perfect but typing is not my forte.

I am sure you are all perfect spellers and may God bless you for that.

To all the members with constructive comments, thank you so so much. You show intellegence and caring.

To the others, including Mr "one born every minute".....how did you meet your Thai Lady?

In a bar...introduced by others in your circle...on the internet?

I am a well educated male who has been through the western self centred woman cycle a few times in my 54 years and over it.

I just want to meet a genuine Thai Lady with whom I can spend what time I have left on this Planet in some sort of happiness/peace.

How do I do that in Brisbane, Australia? Internet intro agencies? Put an advert in local thai papers?

Give me a break Guys.

Thanks again

Paul

To all the members with constructive comments, thank you so so much. You show intellegence and caring.

To the others, including Mr "one born every minute".....how did you meet your Thai Lady?

I am a well educated male who has been through the western self centred woman cycle a few times in my 54 years and over it.

I just want to meet a genuine Thai Lady with whom I can spend what time I have left on this Planet in some sort of happiness/peace.

How do I do that in Brisbane, Australia? Internet intro agencies? Put an advert in local thai papers?

Give me a break Guys.

Thanks again

Paul

The admission that you're a 54 year old male who's incapable of a relationship with a "self centred" (ha!!) western woman, says everything!

Thailand is ideal for you, you'll find a woman who will tell you you're 'so hansum' in no time! Even better, you're clearly ready to believe it and pretend it was what you wanted all along!

By the way, well educated??? Who are you kidding? If you were truly intelligent you wouldn't be considering a relationship with a COMPLETELY (and the women you're going to meet are) uneducated and stupid woman in Thailand.

Edited by F1fanatic

Give me a break Guys.

Thanks again

Paul

The admission that you're a 54 year old male who's incapable of a relationship with a "self centred" (ha!!) western woman, says everything!

Thailand is ideal for you, you'll find a woman who will tell you you're 'so hansum' in no time! Even better, you're clearly ready to believe it and pretend it was what you wanted all along!

By the way, well educated??? Who are you kidding? If you were truly intelligent you wouldn't be considering a relationship with a COMPLETELY (and the women you're going to meet are) uneducated and stupid woman in Thailand.

Ouch! :o

the OP like most of us who are here has become fed up with the way many western women have become,not very feminine anymore.

"Not very feminine"? Or do you really mean "not very subservient".

If you have money in your pocket you can buy subservience in Thailand - no doubt about it - you cannot buy subservience in most Western countries. I think that is because women now have far more career and life options, in developed countries, than just limiting themselves to a future as a handbag for a man.

My (Thai) wife is feminine, but absolutely not subservient - fortunately - we have a wonderfully fulfilling and mutually interesting relationship. I have worked with a number of educated Thai women over the years, and none of them were subservient, but all were feminine in much the same way as most of the Western women I have known.

Give me a break Guys.

Thanks again

Paul

Congratulations F1F.

You just failed the attitude test, big time.!

I'll bet that you are great company in a bar. :D

The OP came here for advice, not a load of <deleted> from you. :o

Edited by GungaDin

Give me a break Guys.

I think you need to ask yourself "what do I want?"

Do you want to pursue this Thai lady because she is your only option?

Do you want to pursue this Thai lady because she is much younger than you?

Do you want to pursue her because she is Thai? (to the exclusion of other Asian ladies)

You live in Brisbane, I live in Melbourne, I am a couple of years younger than you, but I could go out tomorrow & meet any number of Asian ladies in the 35-50 age group ( I am happily married, so it's not going to happen). The point is - they are out there, in Brisbane, no internet or dating agencies required.

The thing is you need to get out there & meet some people. By far the easiest to meet are the Filipina's, get to know someone who is married to one & his wife will be able to introduce you a whole heap of them.

Talk to the Asian serving ladies at your local bread shop, sandwich bar, canteen where you work, at the supermarket, just chat to them & for the most part you will be surprised at how friendly they are, especially if you are a regular. These are all places that guys I know have picked up Asian women.

Where my wife works there are any number of Vietnamese, Cambodian & Chinese middle aged women looking for husbands.

These women are here, in Australia, they don't need a visa, they have a job, all they are doing is looking for a decent husband.

But of course, if your mind is set on someone younger.......

There's one born every minute springs to mind! :o

Then again "nothing ventured nothing gained" & at least he is asking about things so obviously likes to test the water and is not afraid to listen to experiences - your post does nothing except to show you know the words but do you know the experiences if so SHARE if not read and ask yourself can I contribute, so far the answere to the latter is a resounding NO.

Give me a break Guys.

Thanks again

Paul

Congratulations F1F.

You just failed the attitude test, big time.!

I'll bet that you are great company in a bar. :D

The OP came here for advice, not a load of <deleted> from you. :o

Gungadin you have hit the nail on the head I could have a beer with the OP F1F would be another thing and it certainly would not be beer - then again he/she may suprise us all and just crawl back into his/her hole - me thinks no??

very interesting and honest post loosecannon,its something i never thought of,am here now and very happy and love living here more than i did in australia but maybe those still in OZ and thinking of coming to thailand to find a wife/girlfriend will think again after reading your post,especially right now as its more expensive to come to thailand with the exchange rate as it is.sometimes i think australia is quite a cheap place to live too,except for rents and property prices.

very interesting and honest post loosecannon,its something i never thought of,am here now and very happy and love living here more than i did in australia but maybe those still in OZ and thinking of coming to thailand to find a wife/girlfriend will think again after reading your post,especially right now as its more expensive to come to thailand with the exchange rate as it is.sometimes i think australia is quite a cheap place to live too,except for rents and property prices.

samuibeachcomer would have to agree, I am the same here now and glad to be back/here - we are probably a little different to many, met in Townsville Aust but after 10+ years decided to live back here for many a reason.

A good sensible post by loosecannon which indicates he shows more wisdom than his "nom de pleum" loosecannon or is loosecannon more a facade than a name??

Give me a break Guys.

I think you need to ask yourself "what do I want?"

Do you want to pursue this Thai lady because she is your only option?

Do you want to pursue this Thai lady because she is much younger than you?

Do you want to pursue her because she is Thai? (to the exclusion of other Asian ladies)

You live in Brisbane, I live in Melbourne, I am a couple of years younger than you, but I could go out tomorrow & meet any number of Asian ladies in the 35-50 age group ( I am happily married, so it's not going to happen). The point is - they are out there, in Brisbane, no internet or dating agencies required.

The thing is you need to get out there & meet some people. By far the easiest to meet are the Filipina's, get to know someone who is married to one & his wife will be able to introduce you a whole heap of them.

Talk to the Asian serving ladies at your local bread shop, sandwich bar, canteen where you work, at the supermarket, just chat to them & for the most part you will be surprised at how friendly they are, especially if you are a regular. These are all places that guys I know have picked up Asian women.

Where my wife works there are any number of Vietnamese, Cambodian & Chinese middle aged women looking for husbands.

These women are here, in Australia, they don't need a visa, they have a job, all they are doing is looking for a decent husband.

But of course, if your mind is set on someone younger.......

Thankyou Loosecannon for your comments. What you have said is real thinking stuff. I have had a little mixing with local thai and other asian ladies over the years and I find them to be as materialistic as western women. I have thought about what I want and why. I am not going to purge my soul here, especially when there are insensitive, jaded and obnoxious members like F1F reading it.

As far as my comment about thai ladies being feminine, the comment ("Not very feminine"? Or do you really mean "not very subservient".) was way off the mark. I agree with samuibeachcomber when he said (i think western women have lost their femininity through the feminist movement of the last 30years.do not mistake femininity with subservience,am just talking of a the feminine side and IMHO western women have lost it and asian women have not.) . I am not looking for subservience, major youth or anything specific other than a female with whom I can communicate on all levels, love and be happy.

If one looks at the reality of love and relationships, we see a 60% divorce rate in Oz, and rising. Why? Is the western relationship different to a ferang and Thai Lady relationship?

your question to loosecannon is really for another topic.basically i believe over the last 30 years the world has become a very selfish place,and its no different in thailand.in years gone by there were more checks and balances.for example divorce was quite difficult to get and the religions of the world had more moral authority.since the advent of technology,the credit card,and in general consumerism,the new religion has become money,and the church has become irrelevant.govts.have made divorce easy,women now have better jobs than men and often are paid more........women in the west really dont need men anymore(generalising here ok)

Now in thailand its different for the majority of thai women.firstly education is poor so they dont have the skills necessary to find well paid jobs,their men walk out of relationships wether married or not and leave them to support the children and of course there is no govt.welfare to support mother's with children.now this is where we come into the equation cos they need some financial security and if they are good women they in turn will look after you and that i guess is what a lot of us are looking for so its a good deal.

but the danger is some thai women will prey on guys looking for emotional security and try and extract vast amounts of money as soon as they meet you with lame excuses,and as i said before once you start dishing out it can be difficult to stop.so like in the west you need to take time to get to know someone first and if they do start asking for unreasonable amounts of money its time to do a runner.there are many good thai ladies as there are many good falangs but it can take time to find the right one.fools rush in where angels fear to tread comes to mind.i hope you find what you are looking for,just dont rush it ok.