Fillmore East

Ajarn

If you want a great hamburger try Mikes I had one the other day and it was delicious!!!

Agreed, but Fillmore has the BBQ'ing, and that's what makes it special in Chiang Mai. :o

The seven-burger (all chargrilled) menu at Chiang Mai Saloon deserves mention too. I dined there with some friends a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and we were impressed with the quality of the farang fare there as well as the friendly service. "Saloon chips" not to be missed either.

For my tastes I'd rank CMS's burgers as number one, Fillmore East #2 and Mike's #3. Hard to beat Mike's for atmosphere though ...

If you want a great hamburger try Mikes I had one the other day and it was delicious!!!

Agreed, but Fillmore has the BBQ'ing, and that's what makes it special in Chiang Mai. :o

The seven-burger (all chargrilled) menu at Chiang Mai Saloon deserves mention too. I dined there with some friends a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and we were impressed with the quality of the farang fare there as well as the friendly service. "Saloon chips" not to be missed either.

For my tastes I'd rank CMS's burgers as number one, Fillmore East #2 and Mike's #3. Hard to beat Mike's for atmosphere though ...

SabaiJai, I wasn't aware that the saloon (on loi kroh, right side, right?) If I hear that 'Academy Fantasia' song on UBC one more time...!! does BBQ'ing... I've only had one burger there a couple of years ago, and I don't remember it being BBQ'd... I'll sure stop back by for a burger. Rod (Ron?) is a nice guy, and his staff are quite sharp, in my experience. Lately, I've been going there for their tasty Chilli-dog, though I think Mike's is tops for that.. But now I'm afraid to get food from Mike's after a small (and gentle!) food complaint escalated out of hand... :D:D

If the Mango Tree would get a litlle Hibachi or something, I'd call their burgers near the top, too :D

Edited by Ajarn

I tried a Mike's burger the other day. It was alright, but the milkshake was a major dissapointment. I don't know what they are using for ice cream, but it was seriously lacking in fat! Basically, it was awful. :D

Fillmore East quietly closed a couple of months ago... There was a rumour that Rod was going to open somewhere else 'soon'... No word since then.

Kinda missing those BBQ steaks and burgers. Anyone with any news?

Can someone explain why, at the Fillmore East, they serve the corn on the cob before they bring the steak?? Maybe I'm different, but I like to eat my corn with with my steak.

SabaiJai, I wasn't aware that the saloon (on loi kroh, right side, right?) If I hear that 'Academy Fantasia' song on UBC one more time...!! does BBQ'ing... I've only had one burger there a couple of years ago, and I don't remember it being BBQ'd... I'll sure stop back by for a burger. Rod (Ron?) is a nice guy, and his staff are quite sharp, in my experience. Lately, I've been going there for their tasty Chilli-dog, though I think Mike's is tops for that.. But now I'm afraid to get food from Mike's after a small (and gentle!) food complaint escalated out of hand... :D:D

If the Mango Tree would get a litlle Hibachi or something, I'd call their burgers near the top, too :D

I assume by 'barbecued' you meant 'grilled'? :D You might have to wait awhile for barbecued burgers ("For purists, real barbecue means smoky slow cooking over low heat in an enclosed space.")

Anyway, I just remember the cheeseburger I ordered was impressively tasty, and the menu said all their burgers are grilled. I found a web link to the Saloon's online menu, which also describes their burgers as 'chargrilled'.

saloon menu

Agreed, but Fillmore has the BBQ'ing, and that's what makes it special in Chiang Mai. :D

I assume by 'barbecued' you meant 'grilled'? :o You might have to wait awhile for barbecued burgers ("For purists, real barbecue means smoky slow cooking over low heat in an enclosed space.")

Anyway, I just remember the cheeseburger I ordered was impressively tasty, and the menu said all their burgers are grilled. I found a web link to the Saloon's online menu, which also describes their burgers as 'chargrilled'.

saloon menu

Yes, as you've realized, I've not been a 'purist' about much for a long long time :D .... I've pretty much forgotton what real smoked meat tastes like. I do get some interesting Cajun food (burned food) at home sometimes, though... :D

The still-biggest selling point for Fillmore is his use of Bull'sEye sauce.... I've looked around a bit to buy locally, but nothing for many months. For the time being, Fillmore is the only place to get that fix :D

Probably the reason Ron closed the old Filmore quietly was so he could sneak away leaving several creditors in the lurch for several 100.000B.

The little Thai place on the corner of Moon Muang & soi 9 has great Falang and Thai food at great prices.

Their burger is 55B. Burger with mashed potatos 60B. Hard to go wrong at those prices.

Very nice people, too.

"Probably the reason Ron closed the old Filmore quietly was so he could sneak away leaving several creditors in the lurch for several 100.000B."

Mali, I find the "sneaking away" to be a bit of a oxymoron as his new upscale location has two illuminated signs reading Filmore East, one shining across the Ping River and the other on Charoenrat Road for all to see. Chiang Mai isn't that big (yet). Anyone who wants to can easily find him.

Edited by Sojourner

"Probably the reason Ron closed the old Filmore quietly was so he could sneak away leaving several creditors in the lurch for several 100.000B."

Mali, I find the "sneaking away" to be a bit of a oxymoron as his new upscale location has two illuminated signs reading Filmore East, one shining across the Ping River and the other on Charoenrat Road for all to see.  Chiang Mai isn't that big (yet).  Anyone who wants to can easily find him.

I suspect Mali may be a competitor actually.

Mali, I find the "sneaking away" to be a bit of a oxymoron as his new upscale location has two illuminated signs reading Filmore East, one shining across the Ping River and the other on Charoenrat Road for all to see.  Chiang Mai isn't that big (yet).  Anyone who wants to can easily find him.

I suspect Mali may be a competitor actually.

"Sneaking away" naw, I know Ron...... nice guy actually. and if he really had fleeced 'several for 100,000 B , I'm sure he would have done the right thing ............ opened a new magazine in Chiang Mai. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Constable,

Nice try but not quite.

Mali is not a competitor.

Mali is one who is owed money.

Somewhere I think I read once ....... " Never a lender or borrower be ........

Don't fret Mali, this is not an attack on you, we have all done it, loaned money..... many times we wish to help a friend, who may turn out to be, and should have been classified as an accquaintance, then turns out to be neither... Sorry to say I've done it before and more sorry to say I will probably do it again......

However I don't count this party in that grouping..

• 1 year later...