Baan Kruat

Magoomba

Hi;

I met my Tee-Ruck 3 weeks ago and she has invited me to her village for the Christmas and New Year week. I have only been in Bangkok for a short time so I really don't know what to expect. All I can find about Baan Kruat is in Wikipedia is there are 26 villages and nearly 10,000 people

She has a nice house made from what looks to be breeze-blocks and painted a nice white and blue. So I will have somewhere to sleep.

My question for anyone who may help me is there much to do in Baan Kruat, or should I pack a few good books?

Thank you for any replies.

That depends on what you like to do.

Fishing, bike riding, trips to ancient Kher temples, the odd beer or six...... you'll be fine.

If you like shopping malls and night clubs ...... bring a lot of books.

John and Thaddeus, thank you for your replies. Fishing and ancient Temples sounds great to me. I think I will take a book or two to read also. As far as beer or 6 I am not sure as I am not much of a drinking person and I am normally asleep by my third, and I am not sure if that is good or not.

She says she lives in Nikon 12 and has told me that this is approximately 12km from the main village towards a temple called Ta Muang. I cannot find anything like that on the internet, so maybe my spelling is wrong or I did not hear it pronounced correctly. I also see there is a place called Khao Phanom Rung. That looks very interesting for a day trip.

I think its going to be nice and quiet time, interspersed with some local sight seeing.

My ex is also from ban kruat been there a number of times.

there are a number of temples in the surrounding area and if you have transport you cana go see them. there is a lake (reservoir i think) nearby where the locals go to relax and down a few.

the next ban over (forget the name) there is a bungalow hotel called muangsud run by a german man and his ban kruat wife. very nice rooms in the middle of nowhere and all the amenities you need so a good place to retreat to if the house gets crowded.

other than that yea just kick back and relax, try chasing some snakes. prakhon chai is also not far, might find a bar or 2 there, never looked myself.

Fishing, bike riding, trips to ancient Kher temples, the odd beer or six...... you'll be fine.

John and Thaddeus, thank you for your replies. Fishing and ancient Temples sounds great to me. I think I will take a book or two to read also. As far as beer or 6 I am not sure as I am not much of a drinking person and I am normally asleep by my third, and I am not sure if that is good or not.

She says she lives in Nikon 12 and has told me that this is approximately 12km from the main village towards a temple called Ta Muang. I cannot find anything like that on the internet, so maybe my spelling is wrong or I did not hear it pronounced correctly. I also see there is a place called Khao Phanom Rung. That looks very interesting for a day trip.

I think its going to be nice and quiet time, interspersed with some local sight seeing.

She says she lives in Nikon 12 and has told me that this is approximately 12km from the main village towards a temple called Ta Muang.

That will be Sai Tho Sip Shorng (it's just the village numbering system, don't worry about it) and that is quite a way from 'civilisation' you will definitely need some form of transport.

BTW Ta Muang is just a bunch of rocks in a field, if it wasn't for the white on blue tourist attraction sign it wouldn't get any attention at all..... Khao Phanom Rung is a good day out thought.

kuma mentioned the lake, that is the Huai Mek Dam situated at the end of Sai Tri See, another good day out, quiet during the week, but quite lively at the weekend and the water can be a little bit too cold for swimming at this time of year.

The resort he mentioned is in Sai Tri Pairt, nice place, but it is still in the middle of nowhere, the Garden Resort or the Kingkruat Resort are much more central.

(if anyone mentions the Wallin Resort, don't even think about it, I'll explain why if we ever meet)

Hi;

I met my Tee-Ruck 3 weeks ago and she has invited me to her village for the Christmas and New Year week. I have only been in Bangkok for a short time so I really don't know what to expect. All I can find about Baan Kruat is in Wikipedia is there are 26 villages and nearly 10,000 people

She has a nice house made from what looks to be breeze-blocks and painted a nice white and blue. So I will have somewhere to sleep.

My question for anyone who may help me is there much to do in Baan Kruat, or should I pack a few good books?

take good care of your money , your 'TEE-RUCK' guckguck have invited you for big shopping tour, buy land, make house icon6.gificon6.gificon6.gif buy new tv for mother father icon9.gif

Hi;

take good care of your money , your 'TEE-RUCK' guckguck have invited you for big shopping tour, buy land, make house icon6.gificon6.gificon6.gif buy new tv for mother father icon9.gif

There is a Farang Watering hole there, called something odd like 'The Farang Connection' run by a nice German chappie. Also a point worth noting, there are supposed to be around 500 Farangs that live in that area. I don't think it is quite that high, although a couple of years back, Ban Kruat was known to have one of the biggest concentrations of Falangs living in one area in Surin and Buriram provinces. I think that might have been overtaken by Sang Kha now, but I do believe there is still a lot of us out there.

By the way, 'The Farang Connection 'in Ban Kruat, although it is nothing to do with us, have our blessing and permission to use the name, in case anyone was wondering.

Also a point worth noting, there are supposed to be around 500 Farangs that live in that area. I don't think it is quite that high, although a couple of years back, Ban Kruat was known to have one of the biggest concentrations of Falangs living in one area in Surin and Buriram provinces.

I don't think there are that many either Mart...... but there are more than quite a few..... most of them are 'stay at home' types doing the Rapunzel thing for blokes.

There is a Farang Watering hole there, called something odd like 'The Farang Connection' run by a nice German chappie.

Wolfie (Wolfgang) is a lovely man and unlike the previous owner, his wife can cook, and he is more concerned about the service over getting the last coin out of your pocket.

By the way, 'The Farang Connection 'in Ban Kruat, although it is nothing to do with us, have our blessing and permission to use the name, in case anyone was wondering.

A couple of us did wonder, so, thanks for that...... we have been telling Wolfie to change the name to "The FC Ban Kraut" (that was not a typo)

I arrived last night after a 7 hour journey from my residence in Bangkok. We left at 11:00am and it was just getting dark at 6:00pm.

Once leaving Bangkok the journey became more interesting. Climbing up those long slow hills, and the beautiful mountain side to look at. From what looks to be the thickest on jungle that no man could traverse, I could see large Buddha's looking over us all. Stopping at the top of the hill, we were presented with a myriad of stonework of all different styles and form. What made all of this even more pleasant, only a few more km away was a lake, where we could have a meal of fish and rice and enjoy also the lovely vista of the lake.

The pleasant roadway stretched on for maybe another 100km, where to my dismay becomes a single lane road. I think there are different rules driving on a single lane road than a divided highway. I can not believe the things I saw and the behavior of the traffic, it defies all logic in my mind. We turned into a 7-11 and purchased a number of supplies and then headed about another 40km to my Tee-Ruck's home.

Her home is very pleasant, and I have the enjoyment of Air-Conditioning, Hot Shower, a spring mattress and a flushing toilet. There also seems to be the normal Red-Dish TV that has little of any great interest to me.

Thaddeus, you are correct, there is only 4 houses here and maybe some small out-buildings. It is very quiet. After dinner last night, I opened my notebook to have a pleasant suprise that my internet connection works. It is maybe one third the speed of what I enjoy in Bangkok but I have internet. This morning we went to visit some family in a village south of Kab Choeng, all with a similar style. We then went to a large ton called Prasat, and sat near the bus station where there seemed to be many "farang" or "barang"

Now with my jottings, I can see they have found some large bird for Christmas. I cannot get an answer if they have ever eaten that type of bird before or not. It looks like a large Ibis and I am not sure what it will taste like. I am sure if they have eaten it before, then they will know how to cook it.

That is my update for the moment, and I think I will have a nice cup of tea. Maybe later I might go looking for the Farang Connection, but I am sure that will be back in the main village. Anyway, My tee-ruck and her family seem to be good company at the moment.

Oh yes, I ould like to purchase a Motor Bike like a Honda XR 250, the Dirt Bike style. Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these, I think it would be fun to ride around for a few days. I have a Work Permit, Visa and International Drivers License but every shop I have seen is the style of bike that I would not feel comfortable riding in rough terrain.

Thank you again for your replies, I appreciate your input to this.

Mate I lived up there just past Nikon 12 about another 5 or 6 km in a place called Ban koka khai for about 5 years about 8 years ago do not think it has changed much but mate take a camera the sceney is great when you get closer to the border as for flangs up there there are a few around the place

bluey

Mate I lived up there just past Nikon 12 about another 5 or 6 km in a place called Ban koka khai for about 5 years about 8 years ago do not think it has changed much but mate take a camera the sceney is great when you get closer to the border as for flangs up there there are a few around the place

bluey

You are staying In Sai To Sip Song, more commonly referred to as Soi 12.You are the only farang there.But there are many farang in the surrounding villages.Ta Muan, I find fascinating, you can find more about its History by googling it, without the "g". 4 temples about 1,000 years old.Phanom Rung is a must see once, but it is now very commercial, but the restoration is first class.Find as many roads as you can to the border, bearing in mind this area was VERY heavily landmined.