From Bangkok To Chiangmai By Bus

Oked

Has anyone tried going from Bangkok to Chiangmai by bus? I have been told the trip takes about 15 hours. Is it worth it considering that I think about trying this trip not only to get to Chiangmai (which I can do by plane) but also to see a little bit more of Thailand? And how much would a ticket cost me?

Take the Sprinter Train. Goes in the daytime so you can see the country-side. It's also very comfortable and fast, but still stops along the way...

No idea of the price. Contact a travel agent.... About the busses, too...

If you have the time, better had one/two stop in your trip from BKK to CMY.

Train is also a good option.

Where would you recommend to stop? And could you explain why you think those cities are worth visiting?

Sukhothai, lots of Temples (ruin) to see in the "Sukhothai Historical Park".

Some nice pictures

Lampang, a few wooden houses to see

Local Info

And sitting 8 hours in an air-cond bus, is not the best and most confortable way to see "Thailand" ...

I agree, stop in Sukhothai (lots of old temple architecture)...buses go there directly, whereas the train stops in Phitsanulok (pain-in-the-ass bus ride away). If you do go to Sukhothai make sure you visit Si Satchanalai, 50kms to the north...a lot more atmospheric than Sukhothai and less people. If you want to go directly to CM from BKK, buses take between 8 and 13 hours and cost between about 350 and 650 baht from Mochit station (north Bkk). The 650, VIP bus is really worth the extra money as you get a huge seat with lots of recline. The 350 baht bus takes the longest and stops absolutely everywhere. Trains take between about 12 and 16 hours and cost between about 480 and 800 baht for a 2nd class sleeper depending on train rating. If you take the train, get a lower sleeper, air-con, 2nd class ticket. Lower beds are much wider and the air-con ensures a quieter and cleaner journey, not to mention the comfort.

With all this in mind, it'd probably be worth your while taking the bus up, so that you can go directly to Sukhothai, and take the train back...or vice versa. Note! bit easier and cheaper to get into the centre of Chiang Mai from the train station than it is the bus station.

Bus takes about 9-10 hours depending on traffic. Cost is 403 baht for a nice aircon 32 seat VIP bus. DO NOT take a bus booked at a travel agent, hotel or guesthouse, no matter how cheap it is: ONLY from the main Northern Bus station. However you don't see much of Thailand other than highway.

Train has better views, but is slower. Note that if you take the sleeper train that leaves BKK like 19:40pm, it will be dawn by the time you hit the part with the nice views, say between Den Chai (near Phrae) and Lamphun. Train takes longer than bus and is more expensive, but much more comfortable.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Bus takes about 9-10 hours depending on traffic.  Cost is 403 baht for a nice aircon 32 seat VIP bus.  DO NOT take a bus booked at a travel agent, hotel or guesthouse, no matter how cheap it is: ONLY from the main Northern Bus station.  However you don't see much of Thailand other than highway. 

Train has better views, but is slower.  Note that if you take the sleeper train that leaves BKK like 19:40pm, it will be dawn by the time you hit the part with the nice views, say between Den Chai (near Phrae) and Lamphun.    Train takes longer than bus and is more expensive, but much more comfortable.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao,

There is a bus service with BIG seats. Not vip, but some other name. Really quite comfortable. I have only taken the night time buses, but they are quick as ###### and only stop in Phitsanulok for a feed.

there is a VIP bus running from CM to BKK for as little as 149BT ( I don't know how they do it) so I guess if you want to see how cheap you can get around thats the way. CM to Kao San Rd (sorry spelling)

The Train 2nd class aircon is nice, take the lower berth, about 700bt. Get on at the BKK airport or wherever. upper birth cheaper and not as comfy. Plan ahead for the ticket, can buy return at the same time.

For going back, this last trip from CM to BKK I got off at "Ban-suer" and caught the subway from there down to Asok. Just thought I would throw that in for the people who avoid taxis at all cost.

The 650 baht VIP is the 24 seater with two seats on the one side of the aisle and one on the other. That's the price you pay at Mochit or CM. Great ride. Mind you, if you're spending that much on a bus you may as well fly.

• 3 months later...

:o Taking Your Life in "the drivers" hands.

Not me...train or fly...

To many accidents..do not trust drivers..

Bill

:D

Has anyone tried going from Bangkok to Chiangmai by bus? I have been told the trip takes about 15 hours. Is it worth it considering that I think about trying this trip not only to get to Chiangmai (which I can do by plane) but also to see a little bit more of Thailand? And how much would a ticket cost me?

Took the "Sprinter" train from Bang Sue (BKK) to Chiang Mai. Depart Bang Sue 0900; arrive Chiang Mai around 2000. One snack, meal, and two coffee/drink breaks provided. B511

Returned by 32 seat "VIP" bus. Departed Chiang mai at 2100, arrived Mo Chit, BKK next morning at 0630. Again a snack, coke and one coffee in the morning. Had a voucher for a bowl of noodles at a rest stop. B403 Have heard good reports on the 24 seat Super VIP bus, worth a try.

Caution!!!

Road construction on ALL roads leading into Chianmai make them almost inpassable except by 4X4.

Recent rat infestation at train station may cause some confusion and delays there.

Airport functional but ......you dont want to know

Songkran festival in Chiangmai?

"Suwan Tantipat, Chiandmai govenor chaired a ...comittee meeting to find methods to prevent or reduce ....accidents during the Sangkran Festival" Too many deaths and injuries during last years festival.

Other current news:

"Air Polution in Chiangmai soars"

"Changmai rehearses emergency situation"

"Govenmant under attack for failed bird flu policies"

"Motorcycle bag snatcher fells Itialian"

Futhermore:

There is a reason for the free rabies vaccinations for dogs at the local Wats here.

Romors that the Aids rate exceeds 100% are unfounded

As are rumors that the local Muslim population is sympathetic with thier brothers in the south and are planning a "rally" here in CM.

For more information on these and other stories and rumors please contact me

Capt. of drawbridge Guard

E Mail: [email protected]

Im here and the draw bridge is up.

:o

Caution!!!

Road construction on ALL roads leading into Chianmai make them almost inpassable except by 4X4.

Recent rat infestation at train station may cause some confusion and delays there.

Airport functional but ......you dont want to know

Songkran festival in Chiangmai?

"Suwan Tantipat, Chiandmai govenor chaired a ...comittee meeting to find methods to prevent or reduce ....accidents during the Sangkran Festival" Too many deaths and injuries during last years festival.

Other current news:

"Air Polution in Chiangmai soars"

"Changmai rehearses emergency situation"

"Govenmant under attack for failed bird flu policies"

"Motorcycle bag snatcher fells Itialian"

Futhermore:

There is a reason for the free rabies vaccinations for dogs at the local Wats here.

Romors that the Aids rate exceeds 100% are unfounded

As are rumors that the local Muslim population is sympathetic with thier brothers in the south and are planning a "rally" here in CM.

For more information on these and other stories and rumors please contact me

Capt. of drawbridge Guard

E Mail:  [email protected]

Im here and the draw bridge is up.

:o

You forgot:

"Thai Doctors caution Songkran tourists: Chiang Mai moat water a health hazard

Chiang Mai

The National Doctors Association of Thailand strongly caution water revellers to beware of ear flukes and amoebic dysentery which may be caught from the water in the moat surrounding Chiang Mai's Old City. Travellers are adviced to all celebrate Songkran in Pattaya where the water is much cleaner and people in general are more friendly."

Lance now that sounds like the way to go, in comfort with a few drinks etc.

skycop :o

Took the "Sprinter" train from Bang Sue (BKK) to Chiang Mai. Depart Bang Sue 0900; arrive Chiang Mai around 2000. One snack, meal, and two coffee/drink breaks provided. B511

Returned by 32 seat "VIP" bus. Departed Chiang mai at 2100, arrived Mo Chit, BKK next morning at 0630. Again a snack, coke and one coffee in the morning. Had a voucher for a bowl of noodles at a rest stop.  B403  Have heard good reports on the 24 seat Super VIP bus, worth a try.

I try not to take a bus if i can take a train or if i can afford it. I'll fly. Jackr i'm still coming up to CM for Songkran. Still up for that beer with me an chuchok?

Yes mate. Got Chuchok's number, so I'll give him a bell closer to the time (14th April yeah?)

Cheers

meadish sweetball

"Thai Doctors caution Songkran tourists: Chiang Mai moat water a health hazard

Chiang Mai

The National Doctors Association of Thailand strongly caution water revellers to beware of ear flukes and amoebic dysentery which may be caught from the water in the moat surrounding Chiang Mai's Old City. Travellers are adviced to all celebrate Songkran in Pattaya where the water is much cleaner and people in general are more friendly."

Thanks.

Will add this to the new flyer to be printed by the Drawbridge comitee.