Tourists Start Making A Comeback To Thailand

george

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing, the agenda of yet another 'soldier' repeatedly HOPING for devastating tourism to Thailand in their subtle ill-support of Jurassic political beliefs revealed, very telling.

I am one of the very few on TV who studied intensively about facts and numbers

Not sure Baden-Powell had a badge for self-applause or doom and gloom but this must deserve a merit (or de-merit) award.

btw, wasn't aware travelsupermarket.com worldwide group was simply a random sampling of a Belfast journalist publication, thanks for pointing this out...

Congrats for re-instating an obviously politically motivated vent declaring tourism in Thailand is dead. Good luck with that whole smear and fear thing. Excepting a few of your brethren, the rest are wanting to move forward now.

Edited by baht&sold

Amazing, the agenda of yet another 'soldier' repeatedly HOPING for devastating tourism to Thailand in their subtle ill-support of Jurassic political beliefs revealed, very telling.

Not sure Baden-Powell had a badge for self-applause or doom and gloom but this must deserve a merit (or de-merit) award.

btw, wasn't aware travelsupermarket.com worldwide group was simply a random sampling of a Belfast journalist publication, thanks for pointing this out...

Congrats for re-instating an obviously politically motivated vent declaring tourism in Thailand is dead. Good luck with that whole smear and fear thing. Excepting a few of your brethren, the rest are wanting to move forward now.

You're posting nonsense again, as usual. I am posting facts.

I wrote, a.o.: "I hope, with you, that 2009 will show an on par tourist season with 2008, which will be down versus 2007, most likely, but it is not realistic."

And yes, contrary to many others I did -and still do- study the facts about Thai tourism. I will post the facts about the 4th Quarter 2008 as soon as they've published them.

You don't post facts you're talking non sense.

Politically motivated...don't make me laugh...me...politically motivated. What a nonsense.

I'm a realist not a dreamer.

LaoPo

You are clearly a prat of the highest order.

Many of us have made statements that a number of factors have caused great pain to the tourist industry.

I very much doubt that those of us that live and work here want it to fail, but let's face it there's no point trying to avoid the issue, numbers are down. The big question is, what are the longer term effects?

Many of us have made statements that a number of factors have caused great pain to the tourist industry.

I very much doubt that those of us that live and work here want it to fail, but let's face it there's no point trying to avoid the issue, numbers are down. The big question is, what are the longer term effects?

Declining tourism will hit most tourist countries in the world for at least 2 years, including Thailand. The point is that many talk a lot but don't study facts and numbers. That's the only way to prepare for the future.

OP promotion-articles like the one we had in post #1 do not change the fact that we are in a worldwide very serious financial and economical crisis and tourism is one of the first industries which will be hit hard, next to the housing-, car- and other investment industries which require a substantial amount of money.

Traveling to Thailand is such a substantial cost for a couple, not to speak of a family of 3 or 4 people.

That's not very nice but I see no reason to deny the truth or to behave like an ostrich.

Because member baht&sold was talking about Belfast which is in the UK let me give some UK tourism numbers here:

2008 versus 2007 Jan>March:

Guest Arrivals at Accommodation Establishments according to the website below*

Pattaya: UK tourists: -27.78% or 37.732/2008 versus 52.248/2007

Phuket: UK tourists: -49.18% or 29.521/2008 versus 58.089/2007

Samui: UK tourists: -4.99% or 35.631/2008 versus 37.504/2007

Koh Phangan: UK tourists -18.39% or 12.066/2008 versus 14.785/2007

Another fact is that TOTAL tourism from the UK to Thailand staid more or less the same in 2007 versus 2006: 746.422/2007 versus 745.525 in 2006.

The UK-tourist % for Thailand is even declining from 5.39% in 2006 to 5.16% in 2007 out of TOTAL numbers of tourists.

Pls take into consideration that the OFFICIAL number is probably quite a bit lower because the number, above, contains also tourists who enter the country multiple times as well as visa-runners.

* http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25

LaoPo

I stayed in the Khao Sarn Road area over the New Year and it was packed out. All the best places for accommodation were full and lots of backpackers had to get well out of the-beaten-track Banglamphu vicinity to find a decent room.

Not one backpacker i spoke to during those 3 days even mentioned the past political situation somehow affecting their trip to LOS. The only thing that came up during some conversations was the latest change in the 15-day visa on arrival.

Backpackers do not pay up front for this and that and if they were really concerned they could have changed/cancelled their travel plans. The airport scenario affecting tourism has been well over-rated.

And oddly enough BP's are the least wanted and most denegrated class of tourist. Methinks, the Thai Govt will be eating humble pie before too long.

Regarding the seeming recovery, a dead cat bounce in my view that reflects the fact that package tourists pre book sometimes months in advance, plus a one off attempt to stir the local market.

Come later in the year those foreign tourists that can afford a holiday may be off to cheaper and more welcoming places like Cambodia, and I doubt many locals will be going anywhere as Thailand will be embroiled in the most terrible of recessions.

I've seen quite a few headline articles about hotel promotions offered to lure tourists back. However, having just done a search of several of the online agents' sites for Bangkok hotels in March, I would say the prices are up from last year if anything. Bargains (discounts or 3 nights for 2 offers) seem very thin on the ground. Is this the old Thai tactic of putting prices up as demand falls? Or did I miss something? I decided to look again in about a month.

Edited by citizen33

I've seen quite a few headline articles about hotel promotions offered to lure tourists back. However, having just done a search of several of the online agents' sites for Bangkok hotels in March, I would say the prices are up from last year if anything. Bargains (discounts or 3 nights for 2 offers) seem very thin on the ground. Is this the old Thai tactic of putting prices up as demand falls? Or did I miss something? I decided to look again in about a month.

Rule No 1 in Thailand: rules do not apply.

Everywhere else in the world, raising prices when demand falls would be suicidal.

Not here it seems to work.

Why is that?

My only answer is because there are so many people desperate enough to come to this country, that they are readypay no matter what.

Now the real question is : why are they so desperate to come to Thailand?

It's an old thai-chinese business tactic from what I understand. And you're right - no one is desparate to come to Thailand. It's a nice place..but there are many nice places. I like it here..but I wouldn't knock myself out or take undue risks to get here.

As I posted elsewhere, the hotels I've spoke to - the new Pullman near Victory Monument has 20% occupancy when it should be 80% (just this weekend) and the Dusit Thani had only 40% when it should have been nearly full (near christmas).

In other words, b-sh-t - just like the all the condo news reports your ead about in the Post and The Nation. Just rubbish by self-interests.

When one gets past all the lies and faulty statistics , what is left to encourage some-one to come to , or stay in , thailand ? Not too much is my opinion , that is why I am currently on the outside looking in , discovered a place without the falsehoods and money grabbing traits of far too many Thai .I never went to Thailand in the first place to become a 'Tree swinger 'as so many have on this forum , I came for peace and contentment in my old age , not to have my ATM emptied by so many at large , prepared to give little in return , nor to live on a native diet to prove what to whom . At this time in my life , I can honestly say i am living far above my initial expectations of life in a far away land amongst a people whos language or life-style I was not conversant with , a people , whom i wish to add , are denegrated by Thai as 'Those of a lower life ', so little do they know or are they aware of what a life actualy consists of , many Thai merely exist in an ancient shroud of history . Shame realy . :o

Rule No 1 in Thailand: rules do not apply.

Everywhere else in the world, raising prices when demand falls would be suicidal.

Not here it seems to work.

Why is that?

My only answer is because there are so many people desperate enough to come to this country, that they are readypay no matter what.

Now the real question is : why are they so desperate to come to Thailand?

If you can back up that statement with proper figures, then I will be impressed.

I suspect though, you are trying to suggest that the tourism industry is built on sex tourists.

A blunt tool. :o

I think there are a couple of reasons that are and will affect tourism in Thailand;

1) The exchange rate at the moment is quite hard for a lot of potential visitors, 49 - 51 thb/£ or euro.

2) The cost of getting to LOS in the first place, it was reported on the BBC news only this morning (GMT) that "Thailand is one of the most expensive places to fly to at the moment, but once there was relatively in-expensive." (unless you drink wine!)

I did hear a whisper that the Bhat was going to be de-valued (I Stress that it was only a whisper and not fact), if this did happen it would be good for tourism short tern, but would have very bad effects long term!

Flight prices could possible start to fall, as airlines buy fuel 6 - 12 months in advance, and with the drop in oil prices, that should start to filter through!

FF

I think there are a couple of reasons that are and will affect tourism in Thailand;

1) The exchange rate at the moment is quite hard for a lot of potential visitors, 49 - 51 thb/£ or euro.

2) The cost of getting to LOS in the first place, it was reported on the BBC news only this morning (GMT) that "Thailand is one of the most expensive places to fly to at the moment, but once there was relatively in-expensive." (unless you drink wine!)

I did hear a whisper that the Bhat was going to be de-valued (I Stress that it was only a whisper and not fact), if this did happen it would be good for tourism short tern, but would have very bad effects long term!

Flight prices could possible start to fall, as airlines buy fuel 6 - 12 months in advance, and with the drop in oil prices, that should start to filter through!

FF

It is an interesting talking point as to which version is correct. The BBC says flights are expensive but the cost of living in LOS is low, but elsewhere on the forum the implication seems to be that flights are at last getting cheaper but costs within the country are rising. I think there is something in the latter view, even for non-wine drinkers. There aren't many Thai bars that will give you a pint of IPA for 50 baht - as is the case at JD W_______'s in the UK.

Edited by citizen33

Thailand offers best value for British travellers

Telegraph UK Jan 5, 2009

Long-haul destinations such as South Africa and Thailand provide the best value for British holidaymakers, according to new research.

Thailand, which topped the poll of affordable destinations, was found to be 41 per cent cheaper than Spain

British holidaymakers will find that their pounds stretch further in long-haul destinations such as Thailand and South Africa, according to new research.

A combination of lower living costs and better exchange rates, together with an increase in the number of flight and accommodation deals has made far-flung destinations more affordable to British travellers, according to the Post Office's Holiday Costs Barometer Survey.

The survey, which compared the cost of everyday purchases such as evening meals, suncream and a cup of coffee, found that many tourist items were up to 50 per cent cheaper in a selection of long-haul destinations than the eurozone.

Thailand, which topped the poll of affordable destinations, was found to be 41 per cent cheaper than Spain, where a bottle of mineral water was almost three times more expensive than in the Far East. In second place was South Africa, where a bottle of suntan lotion was less than half the price of those in Italy.

Andrew Spice, of Post Office Travel Services, said: "Despite its recent troubles, Thailand remains a great prospect for UK holidaymakers. The Thai baht may have strengthened against sterling but prices remain very low in the country and the discounts now available to top resorts like Phuket and Hua Hin will make Thailand unbeatable value."

Other countries offering good value to British tourists were Kenya, where a cup of coffee (£2.01) was nearly 40 per cent cheaper than in Greece (£3.26), and Malaysia, where a bottle of beer (£2.56) was 31 per cent cheaper than in France (£3.72).

Continues here

Thailand offers best value for British travellers

Telegraph UK Jan 5, 2009

Long-haul destinations such as South Africa and Thailand provide the best value for British holidaymakers, according to new research.

Thailand, which topped the poll of affordable destinations, was found to be 41 per cent cheaper than Spain

(Edited for space)

Continues here

This article is in agreement with what i said in my post, however they do not mention the price of the flights to get here!

A Valid point also Citizen33!

FF

If one could snag one of these from UK to KL it may be worth it:

12-21.jpg

It appears Air Asia X UK/KL is booked solid through to mid-March, unfortunately their present capacity is limited.

Following its motto "never give in", AirAsia recently expanded the services of its long-haul budget affiliate, AirAsia X. While other airlines are cutting flights because of the falling number of travellers, AirAsia X has launched a new service between Kuala Lumpur and London, starting at ?99 or Bt5,000 per sector, to boost tourism between Asia and Europe.

Link: Airlines urged to offer more

I admire the motto and approach of Mr Fernandez of AirAsia. He's been like a one-man crusade promoting cheaper air-fares and eliminating fuel surcharges.

May other airlines 'clue in' as well...

Edited by baht&sold

If one could snag one of these from UK to KL it may be worth it:

12-21.jpg

It appears Air Asia X UK/KL is booked solid through to mid-March, unfortunately their present capacity is limited.

Following its motto "never give in", AirAsia recently expanded the services of its long-haul budget affiliate, AirAsia X. While other airlines are cutting flights because of the falling number of travellers, AirAsia X has launched a new service between Kuala Lumpur and London, starting at ?99 or Bt5,000 per sector, to boost tourism between Asia and Europe.

Link: Airlines urged to offer more

I admire the motto and approach of Mr Fernandez of AirAsia. He's been like a one-man crusade promoting cheaper air-fares and eliminating fuel surcharges.

May other airlines 'clue in' as well...

thanks for the info, however, most "tourists" will simply go to their local travel agent and book a package deal, for those who are prepared to do it themselves, by the time you have got to Stanstead airport (Not the most accessable place), added on the price & time to fly from kl to bkk/cnx or wherever it is still not a cheap prospect.

Valuable info though, many thanks

FF

edited for typo

Edited by FatherF

Ok, the 'political agenda' camp wins - apparently tourism in Thailand is declared dead as a validating sacrifice for 'advancement' by some, but for a few in reality.

Long live Doctor Thaksin then, the self-appointed victim (via his 'bought and sold' international PR machine and re-bleated by tar-pit sheep's 'hopes' for a nation = simply the best leadership dirty money and influence can buy and heaven forbid, don't change a thing)

Meanwhile, here's hoping for at least a par season and a better future for Thailand

Edited by baht&sold

I stayed in the Khao Sarn Road area over the New Year and it was packed out. All the best places for accommodation were full and lots of backpackers had to get well out of the-beaten-track Banglamphu vicinity to find a decent room.

Not one backpacker i spoke to during those 3 days even mentioned the past political situation somehow affecting their trip to LOS. The only thing that came up during some conversations was the latest change in the 15-day visa on arrival.

Backpackers do not pay up front for this and that and if they were really concerned they could have changed/cancelled their travel plans. The airport scenario affecting tourism has been well over-rated.

And oddly enough BP's are the least wanted and most denegrated class of tourist. Methinks, the Thai Govt will be eating humble pie before too long.

Regarding the seeming recovery, a dead cat bounce in my view that reflects the fact that package tourists pre book sometimes months in advance, plus a one off attempt to stir the local market.

Come later in the year those foreign tourists that can afford a holiday may be off to cheaper and more welcoming places like Cambodia, and I doubt many locals will be going anywhere as Thailand will be embroiled in the most terrible of recessions.

Interesting thing about backpackers is that they tend to stay longer and spend more overall than many of the "high-end" tourists who live in their resorts and only go on packaged tours. When I was on the promotions board for the tourist town I lived the numers were quite dramaticly different, after removing the accomodation cost from the relevent tourist, the back-packer spent almost 20% more in the local community than the resort dweller. We decided that investing in promoting to the backpacker would give more bang for the buck when piggy backed on the promotional budget of the resorts.

Another thing that is ignored is that the back-packer who has a positive experience will often return as their finances and life allows often as a higher end visitor. The resort dwellers tend to be further up the financial food chain rather than aspirants

Tourists have a short memory and the doom and gloom crowd are going to see that tourists are going to be back sooner than you think.

I doubt it. The problems in LOS have been splashed over our local and natl USA networks; and it's reflected in travel agency bookings here = which are down, down and down. The last but not least, recent, shoe to drop, Santika, I am afraid sealed the fate of my own travel there for the near future.

Besides, as someone else said, BKK is too expensive compared to other countries; add the govt nonsense and safety concerns of the tourists, you've got the perfect storm for a severe un-employment picture that LOS wont realize til next travel season. Best solution is for massive PR campaign, a reset of valuation (coming soon to an exchange near you) of the B and some innovative ideas to "re-face" the LOS...

Thanks,

Randy

Edited by STEELINOX

• 2 weeks later...

I think Thailand is living in a virtual world, claiming and hoping that Tourism will be picked up again.

There is a world wide crisis going on, and tourism will be hit very hard by iy.

In January the hotel bookings in belgium are down with 50%,bussines travels are even down with 65%. I think for other countries including Thailand will not be much different.

To be honest, they don't appreciate the tourists they do get.

Tourists are being harassed and cheated in record numbers and making reports back home.

The word is Thailand is becoming the Land of Scams. A lawless place where foreigners have zero rights.

Travel agents are now telling people to stay away

Saw this on the Stickman site a while ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/

The Tourist Police could stop allot of this if they wanted but they are corrupt too.

As long as Thailand has great food, cheap hotels, cheap booze, cheap "companions" and huge amounts of sunshine there will be tourists to enjoy them... Its the law of supply and demand.

Not if those foreigners are unemployed!

Not if their retirement nest-egg has been obliterated!

Not if their currency as depreciated by 10 to 20%!

Not if their job might be on the line!

Travelling or travelling to LOS --in that case-- is no longer cheap or wise!

Tourists will come back to see with their own eyes that Thailand is the only country bringing those who blocked airports (terrorists) to work with government in key positions.

The only country in the world letting terrorists stay one week in 2 main airports and Army Chief did not obey Prime Minister to clear terrorists out.

Next they'll say some hotels are running full house.

A lawless place where foreigners have zero rights.

How can you expect we have laws for foreigners when we have no laws for our own citizens? The only laws having effects are those that punish Khun Thaksin and his party.