Thai-style "knock-down" Houses Wanted

^^^^^^ True, but 40 inches is better than 24 inches overhang to protect the walls etc from rain, not completely though, given the weather pattern you've described.

The original concept of long or wide eaves was to protect the walls and windows from the fierce heat of the tropical sun.

Nowadays it's for the original concept plus shading of a/c outdoor units too.

I cannot find any early pics of Thai polehouses with verandahs, maybe verandahs are a 20th century addition?

The polehouse concept was to have cool air under the house, not as some peeps think it is primarily for living over water. 95% of teak or (other) wooden polehouses are nowhere near water in Thailand. :o

I am also interested in traditional Thai houses and there is a lot of funny nonsense here. Of course the sense of such a veranda is not that the water will stay there. The so called traditional knockdown houses are especially prepared for the Thai climate and raining season. So nobody in Thailand would sit under a veranda in the raining season. The houses are built higher, that the water can be under the veranda.

The sense of a high roof in traditional wooden houses for example is that it is much cooler in the house.

The next nonsense I can read here is that you can get a wooden house made of teak for 300000 Baht in Isaan - maybe a 30 sqm house, hardwood and then single-walled. I compared the manufacturers and was also searching in the area of Phrae but you will never get a house of this size for 300000 Baht - or better, show me pictures and I will be happy.

So at least - like always in Thailand - many people who know a lot and at least ...

This was 200,000 Baht, 2 letting rooms etc

post-9688-1236837501_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thaicoon

Thaicoon, that looks like a bargain you got there. Is it really Teak??? Are the walls double or are the studs uncovered inside. Is the roof for effect, the thatch placed over a more permanent roofing material?

By the way, what is a "letting" room??? A room for rent perhaps??

I will be interested to hear how long the thatch lasts (functional life) and how your other projects go.

Thaicoon, that looks like a bargain you got there. Is it really Teak??? Are the walls double or are the studs uncovered inside. Is the roof for effect, the thatch placed over a more permanent roofing material?

By the way, what is a "letting" room??? A room for rent perhaps??

I will be interested to hear how long the thatch lasts (functional life) and how your other projects go.

Hi Ron,

This is a mates in Non Bua Lamphu, he has done this clever, a normal tin roof with a studding to put the thatch on, inside it has a false ceiling, shower room and toilet, and all done out in bamboo weave panels, looks superb, i have not seen it for a year or so, but the thatch will last 4 to 5 years and just replace, thatch panels are very cheap and keep places cool.

in this there is 2 separate rooms with shower which he rents out, and the cost was 200,000 baht. it is a bit plane and simple but still has character with the thatch etc

Wife and i are opening a resort with 3 big lakes etc, this is the sort of thing i am going to build to rent out. as do not want to spend big bucks.

Thaicoon, good luck with yr project, I hope you will make a photgraphic record of work-in-progress for us to follow. :o

PS, what happened to yr old avatar? It was a good'ún !

Cheers, i will put a pic on now we have started, i'll dig it out :D

For this kind of money, you could have a real home. Teak all the way with money left over.

SOLD. Plantation 24'x24': 576 sqft square

with 11' porch extension on 1 side

Plantation style roof and open interior space for bedroom, living room and kitchen. Enclosed full bathroom and closet. 576 sqft interior space. 11 ft porch roof covers a 8 ft deck area (192 sqft) on 1 side, with a 4' porch overhang on 3 sides. Total 768 sqft covered space.

This house is ready to ship.

$64,700 Regular List Price

$52,700 Special Discount Price (save $12,000)

From where?

RAZZ

That's less than 54 square meters. I have a condo bigger than that. The old house I posted the pictures of is about 72 square meters. Supposedly it is mostly teak. That's about $2,800 for the material. Labor here in Thailand is cheap.

• 2 months later...

[/quoteHi Thaicoon,

Do you know of anywhere that sells this type of house,ready made that i can just buy then reassemble on site(or similar) i have a project like the one your planning in the

pipeline, but can't afford to pay the big$$tag that some companies out there are looking for.

PS I think your mate has done a good job for the 200,000 outlay.

Edited by easylife

[/quoteHi Thaicoon,

Do you know of anywhere that sells this type of house,ready made that i can just buy then reassemble on site(or similar) i have a project like the one your planning in the

pipeline, but can't afford to pay the big$$tag that some companies out there are looking for.

My wife and I had this house built on our land. It's small but nice and comfy, it's also teak wood. We paid about 150,000 baht labor plus materials, all told we have almost 2,000,000 in land, house, furnishings, yard, fence, gate and driveway. We wouldn't live anywhere else.

My wife found a group of construction guys paid them for their labor and she told them how to build the house. It's been a project that we've both been a part of and we had it built a section at a time and paid cash every step of the way. It's ours free and clear and we don't owe anyone a cent. It's not the Taj Mahal, but it is Home. :)

post-20763-1242828193_thumb.jpg

post-20763-1242828252_thumb.jpg

My Thai friend bought a Teak house and rented it back the the previous owner. When she went to collect an overdue rent, the house was gone~! Knock down Thai Teak Houses can be stolen~!

:)

Only in Thailand would I believe such a story.

[/quoteHi Thaicoon,

pipeline, but can't afford to pay the big$tag that some companies out there are looking for.

My wife and I had this house built on our land. It's small but nice and comfy, it's also teak wood. We paid about 150,000 baht labor plus materials, all told we have almost 2,000,000 in land, house, furnishings, yard, fence, gate and driveway. We wouldn't live anywhere else.

My wife found a group of construction guys paid them for their labor and she told them how to build the house. It's been a project that we've both been a part of and we had it built a section at a time and paid cash every step of the way. It's ours free and clear and we don't owe anyone a cent. It's not the Taj Mahal, but it is Home. :)

That's a beautiful little spot you have there. It has that "cozy" look to it like you can just hang out in a hammock all day and relax.

Though I am curious, what do you guys with these types of homes do for security?

[/quoteHi Thaicoon,

200k, man thats good.

Does that include paving? fencing? gardening? does it also include land fill? piling? foundations? also electrics? what about plumbing? guttering? etc etc.

Did the labourers you hired do all the trade works? does it also include all materials?

Security isn't a problem... we live in a small village; everyone knows us and the family. My mother-in-law lives down the street, my brother-in-law is a high ranking policeman in the village, another high ranking policeman lives two houses down. Our gate, doors and windows all lock and our dog "loves" strangers... especially if they sprinkle some salt and tobasco sauce behind their ears. :)

We live in Buri-Ram province... my wife has the green thumb, she grows every kind of flower and tree she can fit in the yard. No fruit trees though... only flowering.

The 200K only paid for labor... they smoothed the dirt that we had trucked in, built the fences (cement/block), built the house and carport, finished the wood, roofed the house and carport. We paid for all the materials and kept all the receipts, that way we knew what went into the house and how much it cost. We hired an electician and plumber for their work and a wrought iron shop for the gate. We bought furniture and appliances where we found them on sale and as we went along. Everything was paid for with cash every step of the way; which got us a lot of discounts and knock off's for not using credit cards. We built our house about 3 years ago and did it all in stages, 3 to be exact. The two front porches and a single bedroom with a bath in the 1st stage. Later we built the part behind the porches and bedroom; it's a living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and another bedroom. The Third stage was the carport and the drive way. After we had the 1st stage built, a lot of bankers, and business people started coming by the house and looking at it inside and out. Then the builders asked us to tell everyone that we paid a little more than we did when asked about the cost; in turn they still put us on the top of the list for future work and give us his old rates. He's quite the popular builder now. We've also noticed that there seems to be new interest in that type of house. When I first suggested it to my wife, 3 years ago, she laughed and said that Thai people don't like that kind of house anymore, it was for poor thai farmer, now, she's as proud as can be and has turned down a ton of offers to buy the place.

It's small and cozy... great for entertaining and living and we have one more stage to build to the right of the house. We want to build a guest/entertainment room. It will have a bed that folds into the wall on the left, a sitting area with sofas and chairs in the middle and a small wet bar and 1/2 bath. We hope to have it built this year and then finish the garden and pond area.

We have a restaurant and shoe store in the village and hope to build some motel rooms on the land with the restaurant soon.

Security isn't a problem... we live in a small village; everyone knows us and the family. My mother-in-law lives down the street, my brother-in-law is a high ranking policeman in the village, another high ranking policeman lives two houses down. Our gate, doors and windows all lock and our dog "loves" strangers... especially if they sprinkle some salt and tobasco sauce behind their ears. :)

We live in Buri-Ram province... my wife has the green thumb, she grows every kind of flower and tree she can fit in the yard. No fruit trees though... only flowering.

The 200K only paid for labor... they smoothed the dirt that we had trucked in, built the fences (cement/block), built the house and carport, finished the wood, roofed the house and carport. We paid for all the materials and kept all the receipts, that way we knew what went into the house and how much it cost. We hired an electician and plumber for their work and a wrought iron shop for the gate. We bought furniture and appliances where we found them on sale and as we went along. Everything was paid for with cash every step of the way; which got us a lot of discounts and knock off's for not using credit cards. We built our house about 3 years ago and did it all in stages, 3 to be exact. The two front porches and a single bedroom with a bath in the 1st stage. Later we built the part behind the porches and bedroom; it's a living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and another bedroom. The Third stage was the carport and the drive way. After we had the 1st stage built, a lot of bankers, and business people started coming by the house and looking at it inside and out. Then the builders asked us to tell everyone that we paid a little more than we did when asked about the cost; in turn they still put us on the top of the list for future work and give us his old rates. He's quite the popular builder now. We've also noticed that there seems to be new interest in that type of house. When I first suggested it to my wife, 3 years ago, she laughed and said that Thai people don't like that kind of house anymore, it was for poor thai farmer, now, she's as proud as can be and has turned down a ton of offers to buy the place.

It's small and cozy... great for entertaining and living and we have one more stage to build to the right of the house. We want to build a guest/entertainment room. It will have a bed that folds into the wall on the left, a sitting area with sofas and chairs in the middle and a small wet bar and 1/2 bath. We hope to have it built this year and then finish the garden and pond area.

We have a restaurant and shoe store in the village and hope to build some motel rooms on the land with the restaurant soon.

Well done!

Your house is exactly the style I would like to built one day.

Sorry I read your post wrong, I thought the 200k included everything.

Your house looks fantastic.

Very nice mate.

Do you need aircon, can you put aircon in such a house?

Also, how to deal with termites?

I'm green when it comes to construction and materials used. :D

Very nice mate.

For the rooms that we put air conditioning in; we put paneling on the wall. We got the full wood panels, then had them sanded and finished after they were installed.

As for termites, we treat the house every other year. It stinks for a few days, but then we get used to it and then the smell goes away. The varnish helps alot too. I've never noticed any around anywhere. Someday the house may fall down around us for all I know, but for now, it's nice and it's home.

We talked about building a new house; closer to the restaurant; then we both sat down and said... no other place would feel like home. I know it's corny, but this home was built like our relationship... one step at a time; every decision made together and patched with thoughts, ideas and dreams of both of us. If you have the time and patience; it's the best kind of home. I wired and hung the ceiling fan that no one said could be hung. It's a ceiling fan hung from a suspended ceiling; I just did it. Now it's one of our fond little memories... there are many of those little moments.

Your Thai significant other or a member of the family should be able to find you a reputable electrician, plumber and builder. Ask for their advice and then go to the Home Pro, Supply Shop or a magazine and show them what you like. They're good craftsmen for the most part. We negotiated for the price of labor, not for the job. We told them how much we would pay the crew for the day, not for the type of house we were going to build. All they knew at the beginning was that it was going to be a teak house... that's it. If they had known it all before hand it may have been a different story as far as price goes. On a few parts of the house; we were told that something couldn't be done; we showed them how and they wound up being amazed and very good at copying what we did or explained. The wood railing around the porches was another example. That was my wife's idea, they said it couldn't be done. She thought a while, got some stuff from the store, put a couple of pieces of wood together and now it's a beautiful surrounding rail made out of the limbs that were always thrown away. now... we can't even get them anymore, that railing has been added to so many homes around us, the trash has now become a treasure.

Good luck in your construction; let me know if there's any way that I can help. I can't offer any plans, they're all in mine and my wife's heads. We didn't have any more plans than a note book and a pen and pointing and interpreting each other's ideas. I can't even tell you how many square feet it is; we've never measured the inside of the house; except for when we put A/C in a couple of rooms; so we could determine the BTU required.

post-20763-1242999800_thumb.jpg

post-20763-1242999846_thumb.jpg

By the way... Thanks for the nice compliments and comments. I really appreciate it. Believe me, it's nothing fancy... but it does show well and has a nice curb appearance. It's comfy and cozy... but it's far from a glitzy and regal show palace. Champagne, caviar and china wouldn't fit too well with the decor. I had purchased a complete collection of expensive leaded vases, glasses and decanters. I wound up sending those to my parents... they just didn't fit. We found nice stuff that did fit, but it's more the woodsey, flowery and hand carved and crafted look that compliments the house.

post-20763-1243000828_thumb.jpg

post-20763-1243000852_thumb.jpg

Very nice mate.

For the rooms that we put air conditioning in; we put paneling on the wall. We got the full wood panels, then had them sanded and finished after they were installed.

As for termites, we treat the house every other year. It stinks for a few days, but then we get used to it and then the smell goes away. The varnish helps alot too. I've never noticed any around anywhere. Someday the house may fall down around us for all I know, but for now, it's nice and it's home.

We talked about building a new house; closer to the restaurant; then we both sat down and said... no other place would feel like home. I know it's corny, but this home was built like our relationship... one step at a time; every decision made together and patched with thoughts, ideas and dreams of both of us. If you have the time and patience; it's the best kind of home. I wired and hung the ceiling fan that no one said could be hung. It's a ceiling fan hung from a suspended ceiling; I just did it. Now it's one of our fond little memories... there are many of those little moments.

Your Thai significant other or a member of the family should be able to find you a reputable electrician, plumber and builder. Ask for their advice and then go to the Home Pro, Supply Shop or a magazine and show them what you like. They're good craftsmen for the most part. We negotiated for the price of labor, not for the job. We told them how much we would pay the crew for the day, not for the type of house we were going to build. All they knew at the beginning was that it was going to be a teak house... that's it. If they had known it all before hand it may have been a different story as far as price goes. On a few parts of the house; we were told that something couldn't be done; we showed them how and they wound up being amazed and very good at copying what we did or explained. The wood railing around the porches was another example. That was my wife's idea, they said it couldn't be done. She thought a while, got some stuff from the store, put a couple of pieces of wood together and now it's a beautiful surrounding rail made out of the limbs that were always thrown away. now... we can't even get them anymore, that railing has been added to so many homes around us, the trash has now become a treasure.

Good luck in your construction; let me know if there's any way that I can help. I can't offer any plans, they're all in mine and my wife's heads. We didn't have any more plans than a note book and a pen and pointing and interpreting each other's ideas. I can't even tell you how many square feet it is; we've never measured the inside of the house; except for when we put A/C in a couple of rooms; so we could determine the BTU required.

It sounds wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.

By the way... Thanks for the nice compliments and comments. I really appreciate it. Believe me, it's nothing fancy... but it does show well and has a nice curb appearance. It's comfy and cozy... but it's far from a glitzy and regal show palace. Champagne, caviar and china wouldn't fit too well with the decor. I had purchased a complete collection of expensive leaded vases, glasses and decanters. I wound up sending those to my parents... they just didn't fit. We found nice stuff that did fit, but it's more the woodsey, flowery and hand carved and crafted look that compliments the house.

Yup, nice home (not too sure about the blue roof mind). Why not add it to the 'finished house pictures' thread here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Finished-Hou...es-t257672.html (it could do with a bump :) ).

• 1 year later...

Wow that looks amazing, do you know who the builder was???? Any Idea of what it would cost to get something like built on Phangan?

I am also interested in traditional Thai houses and there is a lot of funny nonsense here. Of course the sense of such a veranda is not that the water will stay there. The so called traditional knockdown houses are especially prepared for the Thai climate and raining season. So nobody in Thailand would sit under a veranda in the raining season. The houses are built higher, that the water can be under the veranda.

The sense of a high roof in traditional wooden houses for example is that it is much cooler in the house.

The next nonsense I can read here is that you can get a wooden house made of teak for 300000 Baht in Isaan - maybe a 30 sqm house, hardwood and then single-walled. I compared the manufacturers and was also searching in the area of Phrae but you will never get a house of this size for 300000 Baht - or better, show me pictures and I will be happy.

So at least - like always in Thailand - many people who know a lot and at least ...

This was 200,000 Baht, 2 letting rooms etc

post-9688-1236837501_thumb.jpg