Thai-style "knock-down" Houses Wanted

I'm interested in the Thai-style houses -- completely built -- that one sees along the highways and roads. These can be disassembled, transported to your site then reassembled.

Anyone know the approximate price (assembled) for a two bedroom, one bath with kitchen and living room?

I'm interested in the Thai-style houses -- completely built -- that one sees along the highways and roads. These can be disassembled, transported to your site then reassembled.

Anyone know the approximate price (assembled) for a two bedroom, one bath with kitchen and living room?

I build "tropical style" knock down homes.....not the ones you see along the highways here though. I have checked out every knock down home I have seen here and they truly are not "knock down". The ones I have seen are poorly built and put together with nails. I use ss screws and ss bolts. There are many differences in my homes and the ones I have seen here (in Thailand), including the prices. The ones here start at about 900,000 baht and upwards . Mine start at at twice that amount. If you would like anymore information, feel free to email me at***email removed per forum rules**

****Please PM the poster for details***

• 2 months later...
Hi, just have a look at www.garden-of-asia.com, only supplier with good informations and warranty. The house Lotus (Teak) is for 720000 Baht and really charming.

Look at the photos. You'd get soaked if it rained and you sat under the veranda! The water would run straight on top of you! :o

http://www.garden-of-asia.com/Pictures/big...erandafront.jpg

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Well spotted, Razz. :o

The eaves should be at least 1 metre wider than the verandah to be effective.

A good example is the simple bus shelter found all over Thailand.

I don't think garden of asia's forte is house design. :D

"The Shower Dept"

Edited by sbk
photos removed per request of site owner

I think what RAZZELL was referring to was the fact that in the picture he linked to, the middle of the veranda was precisely where a gap between two different roofs come close to each other. When it rains the water from both roofs will run right down onto the center of the veranda.

I build "tropical style" knock down homes.....not the ones you see along the highways here though. I have checked out every knock down home I have seen here and they truly are not "knock down". The ones I have seen are poorly built and put together with nails. I use ss screws and ss bolts. There are many differences in my homes and the ones I have seen here (in Thailand), including the prices. The ones here start at about 900,000 baht and upwards . Mine start at at twice that amount. If you would like anymore information, feel free to email me at***email removed per forum rules**

****Please PM the poster for details***

900,000 bt.......what are you smoking in esan a house costs 300,000 :o

I think what RAZZELL was referring to was the fact that in the picture he linked to, the middle of the veranda was precisely where a gap between two different roofs come close to each other. When it rains the water from both roofs will run right down onto the center of the veranda.

I doubt that.

I have never seen a Thai house design with such useless short eaves.

It's not even a traditional design, it reminds me of the "bob" haircuts of Thai girls at a primary school.

Edited by sbk
photos removed per request of site owner

This is the sort of thing i am looking for, there are two of these for sale on the road out of Prackonchi to Prasat, when i stopped to enquire nobody around, i would love to know the prices as making a resort and these would be brill scattered around. any info much appreciated.

Also a mate of mine in Non Bua Lamphu built 2 teak bungalows with bamboo interior 1 bedroon. lounge shower, 2 letting rooms in each for 200,000 a peice, but not as much character as the thai roofed ones.

Edited by Thaicoon

The guy who owns this wooden house wanted to sell it and offered it for 120,000 baht. He has now come down to 100,000 baht. My Thai wife says that is still too high. I think it is about 6 by 12 meters in size

post-17093-1236667721_thumb.jpg

post-17093-1236667737_thumb.jpg

post-17093-1236667755_thumb.jpg

post-17093-1236667773_thumb.jpg

How about a bamboo house/cottage. Here is the url for a vietnam company making and selling pre-built, kit style ones. Used in resorts in various parts of the world.

http://www.bambooliving.com/vietfactory.html

Are there any Thai equivalents doing this type of thing?

Thanks Ron,

Brilliant as they all have the house plans, i am going to aproach a thai i know who i think maybe will knock something up out of teak etc.

I love the pavillion, that would be awsome sitting over a lake on posts.

For this kind of money, you could have a real home. Teak all the way with money left over.

SOLD. Plantation 24'x24': 576 sqft square

with 11' porch extension on 1 side

Plantation style roof and open interior space for bedroom, living room and kitchen. Enclosed full bathroom and closet. 576 sqft interior space. 11 ft porch roof covers a 8 ft deck area (192 sqft) on 1 side, with a 4' porch overhang on 3 sides. Total 768 sqft covered space.

This house is ready to ship.

$64,700 Regular List Price

$52,700 Special Discount Price (save $12,000)

How about a bamboo house/cottage. Here is the url for a vietnam company making and selling pre-built, kit style ones. Used in resorts in various parts of the world.

Thanks Ron,

Brilliant as they all have the house plans, i am going to aproach a thai i know who i think maybe will knock something up out of teak etc.

Great link :o

RAZZ

For this kind of money, you could have a real home. Teak all the way with money left over.

Plantation style roof and open interior space for bedroom, living room and kitchen. Enclosed full bathroom and closet. 576 sqft interior space. 11 ft porch roof covers a 8 ft deck area (192 sqft) on 1 side, with a 4' porch overhang on 3 sides. Total 768 sqft covered space.

From where?

RAZZ

Gary,

As you say, i think very expensive, if you were to build one in thailand with teak etc, be a damm site cheaper, looks like they are covering the export market, they are nice and given me some ideas. i want to build these in a resort, the pavillion would make a superb restaurant, but to cut costs even further do it thai style with a straw roof, which is also cool as you know, also the cabins,

Edited by Thaicoon

A couple of years ago, one guy at the teak furniture zone of Den Chai (south of Phrae) had some prefab teak houses. At a glance, they looked good. I didn't go inside. The guy wouldn't let me take a photo. Can't remember the prices.

I am also interested in traditional Thai houses and there is a lot of funny nonsense here. Of course the sense of such a veranda is not that the water will stay there. The so called traditional knockdown houses are especially prepared for the Thai climate and raining season. So nobody in Thailand would sit under a veranda in the raining season. The houses are built higher, that the water can be under the veranda.

The sense of a high roof in traditional wooden houses for example is that it is much cooler in the house.

The next nonsense I can read here is that you can get a wooden house made of teak for 300000 Baht in Isaan - maybe a 30 sqm house, hardwood and then single-walled. I compared the manufacturers and was also searching in the area of Phrae but you will never get a house of this size for 300000 Baht - or better, show me pictures and I will be happy.

So at least - like always in Thailand - many people who know a lot and at least ...

Per the request of Gardens of Asia, their photos have been deleted. Please do not post further pictures from their site without their permission.

Any further attempts to post photos from their site without their permission could result in a suspension.

Per the request of Gardens of Asia, their photos have been deleted. Please do not post further pictures from their site without their permission.

Any further attempts to post photos from their site without their permission could result in a suspension.

Fair enough, but what a shame the owner of Gardens of Asia can't post a defense of his poorly designed houses. :o

Thanks Ron,

You are welcome. I have other sites on building with bamboo but it looks like teak for you for now.

I like your idea of using alternatives for building and also roofing. Up in the north here they use the leaves from a tall cane-like plant which grows along the rivers, streams. It has a large plume like top. They say the roof will last 5-7 years, which at the low cost of the material and labor, is an attractive proposition I would say, that is if that is the look one is aiming for. And much cooler than tiles, metal or otherwise.

Keep us informed of your progress and good luck with the project.

How Bizzare, How did he even know they were posted here.

There would certainly be a torrent of water coming down between those two roof edges in the wrong season....straight inside the front door. :o

Easy to check links back to his/her website. Or he's a member here. :D

The guys at the US-VN bamboo site have got it right.

They insist that the eaves must be a minimum of 2ft wider than the verandah.

cheers :D

How Bizzare, How did he even know they were posted here.

There would certainly be a torrent of water coming down between those two roof edges in the wrong season....straight inside the front door. :o

Easy to check links back to his/her website. Or he's a member here. :D

The guys at the US-VN bamboo site have got it right.

They insist that the eaves must be a minimum of 2ft wider than the verandah.

cheers :D

A couple things one may want to consider:

1. Veranda / House Direction: In Issan, the wind usually comes from the same direction depending on the time of year. A "2ft" or 3 meter overhang on a veranda facing North wouldn't prevent rain from hitting the house walls; likewise for the other part of the year when the wind/rain come from the south.

2. Distance from deck to base of eaves is another consideration, slope, etc.