Demand For Civil Engineers?

Hello all. I'm new to the forum, just back from a three week stay and already planning a return trip.

I'm exploring the possibilities for civil engineering work with either a Thai or an international company. I am currently employed in the USA and will eventually resign my position if the right opportunity presents itself. I have 12+ years experience in site, utilities and drainage design/engineering and project management, a professional license to practice engineering in the US, though very limited Thai language ability (working on that).

With the global economic slowdown, I am afraid my job prospects right now might not be that great. But I'd like to hear from others that might have any thoughts, leads, advice or just to network a little.

Also, can anyone point me to information on engineering licensure in Thailand?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

I would say that your best prospects are with an MNC probably in the Oil & Gas business with an engineering office in Thailand. Unfortunately due to the economic slowdown and fall in oil price many projects are being put on the back burner.

As for Thai companies there are many Thai civil engineers qualified enought for their needs but you never know some of them hire a handfull of expat consultants.

Not sure if forum rules allow me to post company names but a quick Google should give you a start otherwise PM me.

With Obama poised to enact up to US$ 1 TRILLION in economic stimulus us measures in the US, with much of it to be spend on new and upgraded civil infrastructure of all kinds, you really think your employment and earnings prospects are better in Thailand than the USA right now? Come on, we're all adults here...go ahead and tell us her name :D Sounds more like you want to engage in some civil engineering projects (like house building) somewhere in Issan to me :o

But if you are serious, keep your eyes or web-browser pointed to the Post classified pages. It always amazes me how much international recruiting for all kinds of engineering projects by major international companies appears there for work not only in Thailand, but throughout Asia and the Middle East. I guess there is a large pool of expat engineers that call Thailand home and this is a good place for companies to find them.

With Obama poised to enact up to US$ 1 TRILLION in economic stimulus us measures in the US, with much of it to be spend on new and upgraded civil infrastructure of all kinds, you really think your employment and earnings prospects are better in Thailand than the USA right now? Come on, we're all adults here...go ahead and tell us her name :D Sounds more like you want to engage in some civil engineering projects (like house building) somewhere in Issan to me :o

But if you are serious, keep your eyes or web-browser pointed to the Post classified pages. It always amazes me how much international recruiting for all kinds of engineering projects by major international companies appears there for work not only in Thailand, but throughout Asia and the Middle East. I guess there is a large pool of expat engineers that call Thailand home and this is a good place for companies to find them.

Got to agree with Joe here.

Although I'm set up in LOS I never expect an income from the place. Taiwan is my next stop work wise.

Prospects for the OP, as Joe says, are better in the US. There will be a New Deal and a huge effort of public works and urban renewal.

Although, I'd be grateful if the OP could sort out those big bumps on the freeways in LOS. They never got the hang of radius, rather ramps.

I too agree that job prospects should be looking pretty good in the US for civil engineers the next few years, but my long term goal is not practicing civil engineering. For me it is not about the money, job, status, or girl even (though that would certainly enter into the equation eventually :o ). After doing the professional gig here in the States I'm mostly looking for a change of pace and simpler life that I've had a taste of after visiting family and friends in Isaan the last few weeks.

Properties were seen, houses discussed, and preliminary plans were drawn, as mid/long-term goals with the thought of employment short term/contract based to help with the transition (i.e. visa), and as a means to an end. (And yes I am aware of the property ownership issues.) With the money I have saved up and passive income streams maybe the engineering gig is just not worth the trouble, but I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. Unfortunately I'm not yet old enough to get the retirement visa, so I may have no better option right now than to find some kind of employment. I'll keep my eyes peeled per you guy's suggestions.

J

P.S. I'd gladly fix every roadway in LOS is someone would hire me to do it :D

That would be a very bad move. :o

The last thing the civil contractors in Thailand need is for some smartass who knows what he is doing muscling in and spoiling their nice little earner. Why do you think roads in Thailand ALWAYS need fixing?

Well you'd have to learn the Thai contractor's material/profit formula : Half the rebar plus half the cement equals double the profit. :D:D

That would be a very bad move. :o

The last thing the civil contractors in Thailand need is for some smartass who knows what he is doing muscling in and spoiling their nice little earner. Why do you think roads in Thailand ALWAYS need fixing?

Well you'd have to learn the Thai contractor's material/profit formula : Half the rebar plus half the cement equals double the profit. :D:D

Thanks for the tip ... And maybe another reason why the civil engineering gig isn't the best way to go. A guy could find himself intimately connected to that cement I imagine :D

I thought….civil engineering is one of the prohibited works for foreigners in Thailand, unless you can work as a "consultant" in a thai company. :o

Teacup, think you are 100% right....and you also need a Thai professional engineers license as well...not easy to get get if you are Farang and Thai language skills are not up to snuff.

Your possiblities are as a "consultant" to a MNC type company...Some body else mentioned the O&G industry, possible but bear in mind the industry in Thailand at the moment is taking a bit of hammering with the bottom falling out the oil price, so although the plug hasnt been pulled on the vast majority of projects there is a lot of cost cutting going on to keep these projects viable.

I thought….civil engineering is one of the prohibited works for foreigners in Thailand, unless you can work as a "consultant" in a thai company. :o

Teacup, think you are 100% right....and you also need a Thai professional engineers license as well...not easy to get get if you are Farang and Thai language skills are not up to snuff.

Your possiblities are as a "consultant" to a MNC type company...Some body else mentioned the O&G industry, possible but bear in mind the industry in Thailand at the moment is taking a bit of hammering with the bottom falling out the oil price, so although the plug hasnt been pulled on the vast majority of projects there is a lot of cost cutting going on to keep these projects viable.

Not quite correct.

I know a number of Civil Engineers working for MNCs in Thailand in the O&G business. The stipulation is that a Civil Engineer with the Thai qualificaiton of Registered Civil Engineer will be required to sign off on specific drawings/documents (there are defined drawings, calculations and documents requiring this signature) but these 'deliverables' may be produced by foreign Civil Engineers. The consultant in truth is the Thai Civil Engineer and the foreign Civil Engineers will probably be listed as Civil Engineer Assistants or Technicians.

Well I know at least two, civil engineers that is. First one was involved when they started building the MRT and moved on to another country when the project was finished while the 2nd one is still working in Bangkok involved in design & building of elevator shafts for high rises.

Seen more than two russian girls though if mongolians can be counted as russians :o

Well I know at least two, civil engineers that is. First one was involved when they started building the MRT and moved on to another country when the project was finished while the 2nd one is still working in Bangkok involved in design & building of elevator shafts for high rises.

Seen more than two russian girls though if mongolians can be counted as russians :o

My best friend is a licensed civil engineer, and Chinese. We once shared a Mongolian Chinese, who was not an engineer.

• 1 year later...

Seen more than two russian girls though if mongolians can be counted as russians :)

My best friend is a licensed civil engineer, and Chinese. We once shared a Mongolian Chinese, who was not an engineer.

sorry to be so long after the original posting-however i am looking for a civil engineer for my company-- any chance of an introduction?