2 Killed, Many Injured In Bus Accident

george

2 killed, many injured in bus accident in Phichit

PHICIT: -- Two passengers were killed and many injured when an air-conditioned bus heading to Nan overturned here early Wednesday.

Police said the accident occurred at 2:30 am on the Phitsanulok-Nakhon Sawan highway in Phichit's Wachira Baramee district.

Police said the bus was heading from Bangkok to Nan. The driver dozed off, causing the bus to lose control and overturn, police said.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

Yet another bus loses control of ITSELF , about time the government sent all of the buses to the pad for some RE-EDUCATION , of course , all the bus drivers could accompany them instead of just sitting around picking thier noses .

This is precisely why we travel by train if we decide to leave the car at home. It's more difficult to turn a train over and there are always 2 people in the cab of a locomotive in Thailand.

Sad for the families of the people who died in this possibly preventable accident.

I've always said that Thailand really needs to implement mandatory and random drug testing for all commercial drivers, I've been on more than one bus from Korat to Bangkok where the driver was higher than a kite and felt very uneasy the entire trip. Seems like the regulation of commercial drivers is very relaxed, I've heard of bus drivers not stopping for any kind of sleep for three days straight! I guess they get paid by the trip and if the wheels aren't turning they're not making any money. From now on I only travel by pvt car when leaving town.

My wifes friend was on this bus unfortunately. She was lucky and only received superficial injuries but there was a lot of trauma.

I think that they allow these drivers to go much too far on their own and without breaks.

Very sad for the people who died, probably on the way home to see family.

Yet another bus loses control of ITSELF , about time the government sent all of the buses to the pad for some RE-EDUCATION , of course , all the bus drivers could accompany them instead of just sitting around picking thier noses .

This is precisely why we travel by train if we decide to leave the car at home. It's more difficult to turn a train over and there are always 2 people in the cab of a locomotive in Thailand.

Sad for the families of the people who died in this possibly preventable accident.

Bit tricky, catching a train to Nan, I'd imagine. :o

While I get your general point about rolling a train being harder than a bus, with rail lines only serving a fraction of the nation and no real expansion of the network forecast for years to come (if ever), bus is always going to be the most practical mode of transport inter-city for most folk. Thus, how to make the public bus network more safe and sound (it's pretty darn comfy already, if you take Nakhonchai Air :D ), has got to be a priority for any new govt interested in reducing road deaths. Making sure those drivers don't drive more than 3 hours without a break and no more than 8 hours on a single shift would be a start. That would mean increasing checks and costs, and slowing journey times in some cases, but it would also lower accidents pretty soon, and that would have to be a good thing. At the moment, Thailand seems to get faster and faster roads, and slower and slower railways. :D

Bit tricky, catching a train to Nan, I'd imagine. :o

While I get your general point about rolling a train being harder than a bus, with rail lines only serving a fraction of the nation and no real expansion of the network forecast for years to come (if ever), bus is always going to be the most practical mode of transport inter-city for most folk. Thus, how to make the public bus network more safe and sound (it's pretty darn comfy already, if you take Nakhonchai Air :D ), has got to be a priority for any new govt interested in reducing road deaths. Making sure those drivers don't drive more than 3 hours without a break and no more than 8 hours on a single shift would be a start. That would mean increasing checks and costs, and slowing journey times in some cases, but it would also lower accidents pretty soon, and that would have to be a good thing. At the moment, Thailand seems to get faster and faster roads, and slower and slower railways. :D

Point taken. Yes, most places in Thailand are without rail service unless the town is on one of the main lines. Most people stiill prefer bus service for speed.

Obviously better regulation of driver's fitness and working hours is required. Sadly, I won't hold my breath since making money here seems to be more important than preventing accidents.