Chiang Rai Flower Festival

lannaman

Last evening (1st Jan) the traffic jam extended nearly back to Denha Market. I was on my motor cycle so after some tricky weaving in and out of the cars and coaches I got to the river with relative ease, although a little gased with all the exhaust fumes.

The festival site was surprising quiet, it was only 7pm and I surpose most of the hordes of Bangkokians were still in the trafficjam. Also the shows had not started, and there where many free tables in the Singha Beer eating area. By 8pm it was a lot busier.

Getting out again was worse, as the exit road (there's a one way system) was very narrow and so no room for Mbikes to pass the two files of vehicles.

I strongly recommend not going there by car, unless early in the morning. However I think yesterday was the peak day and today our BKK friends are speeding back to their congested city, leaving our streets a little clearer.

They will surely have to do something about the traffic another time, or maybe the Thais are a good deal more patient than Lannaman!

post-42984-1230882548_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1230882662_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1230882701_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1230883037_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1230883075_thumb.jpg

I just got back, yes it was a long haul getting in at 11.30am when we arrived at the traffic lights. Probably another 40 minutes to get there.

Same same last year but I forgot. Probably forget next year as well.

Worth the trip though, the Thais loved the food stalls and spread a mat on the lawns and bought a positive buffet. I bought some dried strawberries that were really delicious and a bag of sunflower seed kernels.

Mrs bought some topiaries (she's out planting now while sceadugenga recovers from the ordeal) and some silk shawls for my relatives down south. I picked up some carved buffalo horn ornaments for the same purpose, but also to get me through the fast lane in Australian customs!

Last evening (1st Jan) the traffic jam extended nearly back to Denha Market. I was on my motor cycle so after some tricky weaving in and out of the cars and coaches I got to the river with relative ease, although a little gased with all the exhaust fumes.

The festival site was surprising quiet, it was only 7pm and I surpose most of the hordes of Bangkokians were still in the trafficjam. Also the shows had not started, and there where many free tables in the Singha Beer eating area. By 8pm it was a lot busier.

Getting out again was worse, as the exit road (there's a one way system) was very narrow and so no room for Mbikes to pass the two files of vehicles.

I strongly recommend not going there by car, unless early in the morning. However I think yesterday was the peak day and today our BKK friends are speeding back to their congested city, leaving our streets a little clearer.

They will surely have to do something about the traffic another time, or maybe the Thais are a good deal more patient than Lannaman!

Somebody was listening to Tina Turner (in her younger years) in one of the cars you passed, but you might have missed it as you were concentrated on navigating. It took me, the Tina Turner fan, 1 hour and 5 minutes for the three kilometers from Den Ha to my house at walking distance from the festival. My reward was the concert. It was a good one by a Thai Tina and I could enjoy, at least the acoustic part of it from my home.

I will not use the car for a couple of days. I tried to bring it out of 'the zone' this morning, but a little bit after ten it was already too late. It's going to be the motorcycle for a couple of days.

I am sure it is beautiful and I will certainly have a look but not before Monday, the last day (hehehe!).

Indeed Dear Lannaman, the Bangkokians are overrepresented this year. I went to the Doi Mae Salong area for the countdown and almost every second car on the road seemed to have Bangkok plates. Even the two guesthouses in Thoed Thai (Hin Taek) were full. Also Mae Sai must have been overcrowded (the border is normally open until late during this night). In one of the rooms of Steves guesthouse eight people slept. Chiang Rai is full.

Anyhow, all the best for all of you for 2009!

Let's make something of it!!!

Limbo :o

As I live south of Chiang Rai on the old Chiang Mai road I wondered if I could turn right and get out through Doi Hang on the way home; but as I had twelve other people with me getting lost may have caused a mutiny with my being set adrift in a long boat.

320px-Mutiny_HMS_Bounty.jpg

Edited by sceadugenga

Maybe the Bangkokians have twigged onto global warming, and were sussing out a dry haven for the future. Bkk will be metropolis for fishes in 50 years time. The smog from all those Fortuna exhausts will only hasten the day!

Hey, this maybe good news as we can sell our properties to them and all move to Northern Laos.

As I live south of Chiang Rai on the old Chiang Mai road I wondered if I could turn right and get out through Doi Hang on the way home; but as I had twelve other people with me getting lost may have caused a mutiny with my being set adrift in a long boat.

I eventually escaped by the same route. There were a few other lost folks that I encountered along the way, fools didn't want to follow me; I've cycled around there and know it well.

Today the Mrs' family have gone there in the car, good luck to 'em! L'man is enjoying some good music and a peaceful day at home.

I go out to Don's Foods regularly, I've a mate coming to stay next month so we'll have a good explore out there, looks interesting. (With my new camera). :o

We are all looking forward to all the amazing pix with your new toy. Catch up with that strange critter and the boys in brown.

Thanks for the nice picture! And right you are!

Yes sceadungenga, man of adventure, it is possible.

Coming from Pattaya noi, passing through Ban Hong Oh take the left road in Doi Hang at the 'V-crossing' .

It goes a little bit downwards. After the districts office first one to the left.

If you just follow this one (through the little village with the temple with the Big Buddha) you will finally arrive at the quarry.

You have to go to the right at a certain moment. It will take a little bit longer if you take the first dirt road to the right (to the white Buddha in the mountains), because then you have to turn back again...

You have to take the second dirt-road, that has been improved enormously.

Take to the left at the quarry, pass the old stone-breaker at your left and you will be soon at the old Chiang Mai road in Ban Nong Moh.

And then it's up to you, to the right or to the left!

Recommendable? Of course not! And certainly not with twelve people on the back after dark! Mutiny for sure!

But a nice ride during daytime (for instance with a bicycle) absolutely. It is really a beautiful area.

Limbo :o

I used to be quite adventurous at one time, but then I got fat and drowning my sorrows made me get fatter.

A new lifestyle regime is working wonders and maybe some new adventures are in store this year!

I've been meaning to have a run to Keng Tung for years so it could be the first step, or perhaps the river boat up to China.

I just got back, yes it was a long haul getting in at 11.30am when we arrived at the traffic lights. Probably another 40 minutes to get there.

Same same last year but I forgot. Probably forget next year as well.

Worth the trip though, the Thais loved the food stalls and spread a mat on the lawns and bought a positive buffet. I bought some dried strawberries that were really delicious and a bag of sunflower seed kernels.

Mrs bought some topiaries (she's out planting now while sceadugenga recovers from the ordeal) and some silk shawls for my relatives down south. I picked up some carved buffalo horn ornaments for the same purpose, but also to get me through the fast lane in Australian customs!

Yes off topic but I'm interested in the last sentence here. We went to Perth recently & spent half our vacation in the queue for security clearance going in to the country.

Take something to "declare". A wooden ornament is ideal. Write it on your immigration card that you fill out while the plane is landing and when you're finished at immigration the officer will usually direct you to the much shorter "something to declare" line after you collect your baggage. All baggage has to be scanned leaving the airport and it can be a lengthy procedure.

Security clearance is something different I suspect, unless you are referring to baggage search and scanning.

We went this morning by long-tail boat from the town and managed to beat all the road traffic. It was a perfect and relaxing way to get there

That is worth remembering for next year.

All in all we didn't think the festival was as good this year as last. Anyone agree?

A better time to see flowers and not people.

This morning we were near Denha so took ourselves to the Flower Festival site.

Most of the flowers are still in place and remain beautiful, although the tulips looked sad. Drove straight in and out and only a few other people milling about. Apparently they will stay watered and not moved until 10 days after the closure of the event. Worth another look without the hassle.

We also enjoyed a peaceful walk by the river.

Today's photos attached.

post-42984-1231480115_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1231480133_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1231480149_thumb.jpg

post-42984-1231480170_thumb.jpg