Amusing Phrase In Thai

Blinq

I came across an amusing question on hxxp://www.thai-language.com/ref/phrases It's the 4th one from the bottom and it's how to ask someone if they're a man or a woman....lol.

I must admit I was tempted to ask that question many times when strolling up and down Bangla at night and being accosted by what appeared at first glance to be a good looking lady. You just never know sometimes. :o

Edited by Blinq

I came across an amusing question on hxxp://www.thai-language.com/ref/phrases It's the 4th one from the bottom and it's how to ask someone if they're a man or a woman....lol.

I must admit I was tempted to ask that question many times when strolling up and down Bangla at night and being accosted by what appeared at first glance to be a good looking lady. You just never know sometimes. :o

If you had asked they would have said they are ladies. And that is because they are ladies. You being convinced otherwise is simply because you are brainwashed by a discourse dominant in the West of clear sex separation which does not match the brute reality. You need to educate yourself with Foucalt's "History of Sexuality" and then read Hacking ["Making up people" in "Reconstructing Individualism" 1986].

You are being transphobic. Just imagine altering the question slightly:

"I must admit I was tempted to ask if they are gay many times when strolling in the shopping mall and being talked to by what appeared at first glance to be a nice bloke. You just never know sometimes."

Ho,ho,ho isn't homophobia funny. I'm killing myself.

If you had asked they would have said they are ladies. And that is because they are ladies. You being convinced otherwise is simply because you are brainwashed by a discourse dominant in the West of clear sex separation which does not match the brute reality. You need to educate yourself with Foucalt's "History of Sexuality" and then read Hacking ["Making up people" in "Reconstructing Individualism" 1986].

You are being transphobic. Just imagine altering the question slightly:

"I must admit I was tempted to ask if they are gay many times when strolling in the shopping mall and being talked to by what appeared at first glance to be a nice bloke. You just never know sometimes."

Ho,ho,ho isn't homophobia funny. I'm killing myself.

You seem to be ignoring the word accosted in the original post. I don't see any comparison between that and talking to a gay/straight guy in a mall.

I can't say that it had ever crossed my mind to actually asking someone this question. It seems quite personally intrusive.

Although such questions have crossed my mind in some particular encounters, I too have never thought of asking the question as a matter of civility alone. And I daresay it is far easier to just move onto the next question that to read Foucault.

Nah, it's not a problem. You say "koon bpen katuhy chai mai?"

If it's a ladyman they might get a little coy but a real woman

will get seriously indignant. But hey, at least you will KNOW. :D

Either the person is a trans or a real woman, for sure you'll loose your chance :o if you ask such question.