Gas Masks

dave9988

Considering what happened at Santika, I would like to have a gas mask so that incase of a fire, I can make it out of my condominium alive. I see these for sale on Amazon.com, I wonder if they can be checked in on a flight or if they are available for sale in Thailand.

Thanks.

When I use to live in the UK I worked offshore. I had 2 escape masks in the bedroom in case of emergency. If the crap hit the fan we could put them on and have some chance of getting the kids out.

Dave in an emergency could you find your way to the stairs in the pitch dark. You should be able to. It sounds silly but every rig or new hotel I went to I could. It was a case of out the door, turn right, twenty paces and 6 doors, turn right and ten paces, door on the left etc. It takes a few minutes but could end up saving your life. Its the same on ferries I always know where the nearest boat is or where to get a life jacket from.

Sad but I like life !!!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about this too. I was wondering if you were in your room and the nearest fire exit was down the hallway but everything was on fire, would soaking a blanket in cold water and throwing it over you help at all?

The mask will help filter out the smoke and harmful chemicals. They won’t be of help if the oxygen level falls too far.

I’ve always been taught to know your exits, stay low and make it out quickly and safely.

A wet blanket would help depending on circumstances. Do you waste precious minutes wetting the blanket or do you get out before the fire takes hold.

I’ve been in 2 houses on fire, both times without a mask and not my house. One was caused by kids (not mine) playing with matches in a bedroom and the other a chip pan fire. It doesn’t take long for the smoke to build up and a quick exit was the best method.

Considering what happened at Santika, I would like to have a gas mask so that incase of a fire, I can make it out of my condominium alive. I see these for sale on Amazon.com, I wonder if they can be checked in on a flight or if they are available for sale in Thailand.

Thanks.

Not sure if a gas mask is your best bet.. as has been said you still need oxygen.. but I have seen really small bottles for scuba diving, there for use in an emergency the bottle is about the size of a big bottle of beer and they have a mouth-piece attached on the top ..... there only good for about 5 Min's but better than just a gas mask as they work in a zero oxygen environment.... and yes a wet blanket would help a bit at least stop a few sparks from caching hold... just make sure it's made of 100% cotton or it could end up melting and leaving you in a hel_l of a state......