Sending A Fragile Package To Uk From Ubon

davidxl

I've got a large (A3 approx ) picture in a fancy frame that I want to send from Ubon Ratchatani to the UK. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Is Thailand Post the best choice or do other operators such as DHL, Fedex etc have offices or agents here?? maybe at the airport? Would also be useful to use some sort of local packing service as it's fairly delicate, if someone has similar experience please let me know. Thanks :o

Edited by davidxl

Personally if it's fragile and/or valuable I'd send it DHL or Fedex without a second thought. It will cost maybe up to 100 USD for your item depending on weight but you are reasonable sure it will get there in one piece. But that's just me, better to spend 100 dollars and be 99% sure than 10 dollars and be hanging on waiting for confirmation it got there safely. Also note that it will have to survive handling at two airports minimum plus then run the gauntlet of the UK postal system that is anything but it's former quality.

I think both services also offer a packing service for an extra charge.

ps....the cost of reframing will be offset by the savings on postage.

HL :D

Well that's a good point. It's actually a framed mega enlarged photo of a studio wedding photo that we had on display at the village wedding party. I've suggested we take the photo out and reframe it in the UK but my new Panya has a sentimental attachment to it and for some reason doesn't think we have decent picture frames and framers in the UK. Will go to post office on Monday, check out the prices of post and packing and work out the best solution on balance.

Thanks to you and everyone else's responses on this :o

well most if not all picture frames are made of four narrow pieces of wood plus a sheet of hardboard and a sheet of glass. Take it apart and pack the four pieces with the picture in a cardboard tube then you will only have to replace the glass and hardboard. Sentimentality is saved surely as well as money. Good luck.

HL :o

Do not entrust anything slightly valuable and fragile to the Thai post office. I think that they have a special department where they attack all parcels with sledgehammers!

A couple of years back, I moved from up North to Pattaya and as I only have a motorbike I sent a lot of stuff by post. It's cheap but I couldn't believe the state it arrived in. They even managed to destroy a reasonable quality crash helmet and that takes some doing.

When I moved out of Pattaya I had the stuff shipped by pickup by a mate.

mmm... wish I had read the last 2 posts before today when we went to the Post Office in Phibun M town :o . Will have to get the Panya to ask Buddha to protect iton it's journey :D . The very helpful Post Office Manager and my brother-in-law made a fairly good job of packaging it up with cardboard, tape, polystyrene foam and bubblewrap. It then cost 2900B to send by EMS and 40B for packing. Would have been 500B less if we had just gone for ordinary post, but considered EMS was worth it and he said it would take about 3 days so hopefully Parcelforce will leave it with our neighbours back in UK. Will let you know what state it arrives in.

Edited by davidxl

to make things even more interesting I have today sent my silk wedding suit and the wife's wedding dress to the UK by EMS from Phibun PO to save us taking them down to Koh Chang. Shouldn't be a problem with fragileness and the postmaster put it in a strong postal plastic bag before putting it in a standard postal box tied with tape and string. Cost 1900B.

I can't speak for the UK... but when shipping EMS from/to the US it is FedEx that is actually handling the shipping (and Thai Post I believe that handles the routing within Thailand). The US Postal service subcontracts their EMS services to FedEx. If I ship with FedEx directly the prices are almost twice as much. I recently had a shipment via UPS sent to Thailand from the US and it was delivered to my house by a private courier (most likely subcontracted by UPS). My point is whatever carrier you choose look closely who is actually handling the shipping as it very likely could be a subcontractor.

• 3 weeks later...

when you send a parcel to uk or usa do you have to put special customs/tax decleration on it....i sent a small parcel by registered airmail and guy didnt put anything on it apart from little sticker for tracking and it wasnt till after that i thought you had to fill out some form saying whats in it.

what will happen to it,will it get sent out of thailand or back to shop or just lost in space???? anyone had this happen to them,the post shop i sent it from has been open a long time,why didnt they tell me to do this....they should know how to send more than me!!!

when you send a parcel to uk or usa do you have to put special customs/tax decleration on it....i sent a small parcel by registered airmail and guy didnt put anything on it apart from little sticker for tracking and it wasnt till after that i thought you had to fill out some form saying whats in it.

what will happen to it,will it get sent out of thailand or back to shop or just lost in space???? anyone had this happen to them,the post shop i sent it from has been open a long time,why didnt they tell me to do this....they should know how to send more than me!!!

anyone???? :o

Sent a DVD of my two son's at Xmas to the in-laws and that got lost somewhere when sent by Royal Mail but just sent another copy last week and that arrived within 7 days. Saying that, it is the first package or letter sent to my wife's family which has got lost in the last 5 years sent to Ubon and a good record so far.