Our Chicken Killer Dog

jaideeguy

This morning our dog of 5 yrs killed her first chicken. The dog has tried before and we stopped it, and thought she was cured.....but not!!

Wife says the 'Thai way' is to stuff some feathers of the chicken in her mouth and tape shut [i'd use a muzzle] for a couple of days.

I've googled 'chicken killing dogs' and no definative answers there except for getting a remote controlled shock collar.....but they are quite expensive and maybe hard to find here.

my chickens give me eggs.....my dog makes noise and gives me problems so it would be an easy choice for me on which to get rid of, but family is attached to dog.

any suggestions??

I don't know of any way to break a chicken killing dog. The local Thais here simply won't put up with it and when the bucket truck comes around they trade the dog for a plastic bucket. The dog gets a one way ride to Laos.

I don't know of any way to break a chicken killing dog. The local Thais here simply won't put up with it and when the bucket truck comes around they trade the dog for a plastic bucket. The dog gets a one way ride to Laos.
Thats funny gary, i saw that truck in ubon, my wife explained what it was and i was gobsmacked, but its true, have a dog that bites or steals, hes a bucket !,.khao pad maa,.mmm Edited by imaneggspurt

put her on a long chain, keep home or fence for her part of the garden (but still from time to time she will brake loose) - sometimes, as she gets older, she will change her character and forget about killing

The dog is 5 yrs old already and has always been free, but maybe a chain with a runner would be a compromise. I am not attached to the dog and would gladly trade her for a bucket, but the family wouldn't stand for it.

The chickens are confined, but I do like them to free range for a few hours a day. They are falang chickens by the way and I have a lot more THB invested in them than the dog and they give me 20 eggs a day, the dog gives nothing......

This morning our dog of 5 yrs killed her first chicken. The dog has tried before and we stopped it, and thought she was cured.....but not!!

Wife says the 'Thai way' is to stuff some feathers of the chicken in her mouth and tape shut [i'd use a muzzle] for a couple of days.

I've googled 'chicken killing dogs' and no definative answers there except for getting a remote controlled shock collar.....but they are quite expensive and maybe hard to find here.

my chickens give me eggs.....my dog makes noise and gives me problems so it would be an easy choice for me on which to get rid of, but family is attached to dog.

any suggestions??

YES, and there is only one way: the way your wife suggested but a bit different !

I have posted the same ''cure'' some 2 years ago (I think) here on the forum.

Many years ago my dog did the same and killed various chickens in the neighborhood including some lovely ''pet'' chickens from small neighbour's children :D

We were advised (by our VET) to take the last killed chicken and tie it up around her head (tape the dogs mouth first).

Tape all four legs of the dog as well so that he/she can't remove the chicken with his/her legs.

Let him/her lie down for 2 to 4 hours, and........

..........she will NEVER EVER touch a chicken again !

We later had a very large chicken coop with many chickens who also walked free into the garden and we could easily walk into it with the dog....she never touched a chicken again, not even with the chickens walking freely around.

Good luck.

Tip: don't do this when small kids are around because the noise the dog makes could be a bit disturbing and kids find it pitiful....

edit: I'm talking a big black dog, a mixture of Father Dobermann, Mother Weimaraner :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

A friend of mine has a dog whose name is Benji. He loves that dog like a child. I call the dog Benji bucket. That dog has cost my friend many thousands of baht over the years. Biting people and killing all sorts of fowl. My friend has tried everything short of trading him for a bucket. Ducks and geese are the dog's favorite targets.

We caught our dog attacking the neighbor's chickens and baby pigs. Sounds cruel but my husband dragged her over to the dead chicken at our neighbor's house, and yelled at her and whacked her while shoving the dead chicken in her face and mouth. He also hit her with the dead chicken.The dog learned to associate the severe punishment with the chickens and the neighbor's house and never went there again.

While dog trainers may find this cruel it wasn't like we could slowly train the dog, our neighbor's chickens were, like most people, just wandering around and since the dog had already been caught going for a baby pig it was either that or watch a pig get killed and our neighbor most likely end up poisoning all our dogs in order to get rid of the problem.

any suggestions??

YES, and there is only one way: the way your wife suggested but a bit different !

I have posted the same ''cure'' some 2 years ago (I think) here on the forum.

Many years ago my dog did the same and killed various chickens in the neighborhood including some lovely ''pet'' chickens from small neighbour's children :D

We were advised (by our VET) to take the last killed chicken and tie it up around her head (tape the dogs mouth first).

Tape all four legs of the dog as well so that he/she can't remove the chicken with his/her legs.

Let him/her lie down for 2 to 4 hours, and........

..........she will NEVER EVER touch a chicken again !

We later had a very large chicken coop with many chickens who also walked free into the garden and we could easily walk into it with the dog....she never touched a chicken again, not even with the chickens walking freely around.

Good luck.

Tip: don't do this when small kids are around because the noise the dog makes could be a bit disturbing and kids find it pitiful....

edit: I'm talking a big black dog, a mixture of Father Dobermann, Mother Weimaraner :o

LaoPo

Well done. I had a two year old dog, a Blue Queensland Healer (cross with a dingo and Aussie Shepard) before they were a recognised breed late 70's. I got it with a marriage, got rid of the wife but got to keep the dog. I guess you could call the wife a "bucket wife" anywhoooooo. He either killed or tore up on one of laying hens (now this dog would go after the bull when i sent him out to heard the cattle and be right on his heal biting at its hooves as that is what healers do they heard and bite to get the 1/2 ton beasts todo what they want and dogs are born killers with wild things (he completely eradicated ground squirrels on 15 acres because they have to come above ground and he loved to kill and eat the vermin, gophers were tougher prey but he got his share) point is this dog would kill and bite, even occasionlly small people). Soooo the day he got my hen it was into the chicken coop with all the other chickens, shit and all on a short tether. He tried to snap at a few as i watched and I snapped at him and he had learned that my bark was just as bad as my bite (quite an extremely intelligent dog probbly due to lack of interbreeding in the dingo) and there he had to stay for nearly half of a day, imprisoned and stuck with those shitty beast walking over on and around him continuously. He never touched or healed or messed with a chicken ever again. I would go with Lao Po's method as it appears it might work better for a less intelligent type of "bucket dog" that you are stuck with. Choke dee

Our dog doesn't kill the chickens but he steals their eggs, we're increasing the number of chickens so are letting the eggs hatch.

I'd build some shelves above the dog's reach but now the hens lay their eggs all over the place and I'm not sure they'd move their nests willingly.

Our dog doesn't kill the chickens but he steals their eggs, we're increasing the number of chickens so are letting the eggs hatch.

I'd build some shelves above the dog's reach but now the hens lay their eggs all over the place and I'm not sure they'd move their nests willingly.

This is an easy one, get a bucket.

let the dog go after a fighting rooster; usually the rooster wins....

lao pao's method or similar

muzzle the dog

put on cable

keep dog on leash when chickens are ranging; release dog when hens safe in hen coop

fence their free range area with a high and moveable fence so u can move their range (its like a portable hen coop)

any combination of these methods so that the dog never ever gets a chance to play with a chicken again because once they remember that its fun, they will do it again... and its not for food, its for hunt instinct/fun... nothing more fun than a squacking screaming (yes they scream, the hens) chicken flapping around ...

even my lhasa tried once, but one feisty hen put a stop to that real quick...

put a nasty gander in with the hens, most dogs dont like to deal with mean geese; but then neither do children...

use a cap gun type thing so that every time she goes near a chicken, looks at the direction of the chickens there is that load cap gun noise going off: make sure she doesnt see YOU doing the noise. the noise has to be associated with chickens not with humans, so when u arent around, keep her chained until u can hide and let her out, wait, when she even starts in the direction of the chicken, do the noise deal (it has to be loud and frightening, unless she is not deterred by large booms, but most dogs are).

bina

israel

Thanks all for the serious [and not so serious] suggestions. I did get a chuckle from some and several made sense. I'm not too fond of hitting dogs [or any living thing for that matter] and will try to keep the survivors inside their fenced area, but a couple can fly over the 5 foot fence and can become easy prey.

The killer dog hasn't shown her face all day, but will show up for dinner and I may make an attempt to catch her....she is half wild [and sly] anyway and will consider the bucket truck if she gets one more.

Does anyone know the number of the bucket truck guy??

put her on a long chain, keep home or fence for her part of the garden (but still from time to time she will brake loose) - sometimes, as she gets older, she will change her character and forget about killing

jesus christ man,sounds like you have had many dogs

NOT

BE BETTER TO PUT THE DOG DOWN THAN CHAINING IT UP EVERY DAY,WHAT SORT OF LIFE IS THAT.No doubt the dog will bark/howl all day and irritate the neighbours.

How long chain do you suggest???

can the chicks be moved???

if you dont want to get rid of this animal,muzzle it.

LaoPo and sbk match my own experience in treating chicken slayers, for the egg eating pooch ,just punch a hole top and bottom of a fresh egg and blow out the contents ,get a hypodermic needle from your pharmacy and fill it with a mixture of mustard and water which is then transferred into the egg .

Show the egg to your dog then place it in pooches mouth squeezing its jaws to crush the egg , make him hold it in his gob for a minute or two ,the association of egg and mustard will stop his egg stealing. (unless he develops a taste for mustard that is.) :o

Muzzling seems more cruel than the bucket truck....you have to remove it for eating etc. I did price muzzles today and for 169THB, I can get a nylon and velcro adjustable hi tec muzzle that [it says on packaging] 'the dog can drink and vomit while wearing it'.

I passed on that and tonight, i sprinkled some freshly burned chicken feathers as a garnish to her rice and scraps and she backed off real fast. Hopefully that reinforced the memory of her sin.

Mother in law said that force feeding burned chicken feathers would do the trick, but I don't like to force anything.

I've got a few pups and have been giving this subject some thought also. Although I intend to keep the dogs in the garden and not let them roam I'm pretty sure they'll get out at some point. I was thinking of letting them get used to a few of my ducks & geese from an early age. But I've noticed that if the ducks run then the pups give chase , instinct I suppose. They've already wiped out a few ducklings and one swallowed a baby chicken whole yesterday. maybe I need to use some of the shock tactics mentioned above.

Thanks all for the serious [and not so serious] suggestions. I did get a chuckle from some and several made sense. I'm not too fond of hitting dogs [or any living thing for that matter] and will try to keep the survivors inside their fenced area, but a couple can fly over the 5 foot fence and can become easy prey.

The killer dog hasn't shown her face all day, but will show up for dinner and I may make an attempt to catch her....she is half wild [and sly] anyway and will consider the bucket truck if she gets one more.

Does anyone know the number of the bucket truck guy??

Easy to stop the chickens flying, simply cut their flight feathers. Rather than chaining the dog up or muzzling it, best bet surely has to be the bucket guy!

Our TOY POODLE is a chicken killer! She has accounted for at least a dozen. Believe it or not, she has been thoroughly thrashed with the carcasses of several of her victims, I am ashamed to say, yet, still, if she gets the chance, she'll have one. It is easy for dogs to get laying birds that don't have a cock bird present, as they will squat down to be treaded when approached, no pun intended, they become a sitting duck:).....I have lost count of the times I've nearly tripped over a chicken who acts like this. Funnily enough, we have never lost a single duck to the poodle, simply, as they show some aggression towards her & she leaves them alone.

When we moved onto a farm, my 3 year old dog started killing chickens of our neighbors that wandered into our orchards. I called a dog trainer and got this advise which worked like a charm.

Put the dog on a log leash with a choke collar. Walk him out around the free range chickens; when he starts to chase, jerk him back sharp and hard and strong and shout a command, No or Stop. You think that you will break his neck, or choke him out, but the dog trainer assured me that I would not seriously hurt the dog with this method.

It only took a few days, a couple of times a day to cure him. After that, I would see him getting agitated when a chicken came into view, and he would start to chase, but all I had to do was use the command and he would stop, even without the leash. After awhile he pretty much lost interest.

The only thing that really pissed me off is that he didn't bring the chickens to me for dinner. He enjoyed the chase, but left the dead or wounded chicken where the neighbor could find it, so I had to pay up 80 baht and didn't even get to make gaeng keow wan gai. (I didn't have to pay, but I was trying to be a good neighbor and I didn't want them to kill my dog).

to the last threader:

that only works if u are around; trust me we have had dogs living with our deer, chickens, goats, whatever... some are natural protectors, and some are natural predators....

the vinyl muzzle isnt very good to release a dog with; a basket muzzle is better, allowing the dog to open its mouth, drink, even eat (they learn the method)and bark; just cant grab anything except for fingers thrusting through the basket.... and allows a hot dog to pant more effectively;

cable (chain) is not cruet provided they have access to water, food, shelter and protection from children taunting them, and aggressive dogs, AND, u take off chain for free time and socialization when u are aroung...

and definately is less cruel that being a dead dog; no dog wants to be dead (put down rather then chain /cabled)

definately need a nasty rooster as hens are indeed sitting ducks//

to teach puppies not to chase chicks and ducklings u must keep the dog leashed all the time when around them, while u are handleing them etc so they dont learn to chase them... and some dogs just 'have it' and others dont...

our one deer chasing dog got antlered by a rutting male, that stopped 'panda' from chasing deer for a long time (spotted deer males only , we had)

bina

Well they don't stop in Laos, they continue on to Vietnam. On the road through Lak Sao (in Bolikhamxay Province) to the Vietnamese border you can see at least 2 or 3 trucks per day similar to the one in the attached photo. The truck in the photo is smaller than the average truck. Each truck can carry about 1,000 dogs. I guess other roads linking Thailand to Vietnam also carry similar truck loads of dogs. The dogs come from Thailand, i.e. they are the "bucket dogs" that you're all talking about. The dogs have no water to drink, not much room to move and are pissed and crapped on by the dogs higher up in the stack. Not a pleasant ending for "man's best friend".

post-22225-1231420884_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I have 9 dogs now. As just been informed 1 dog has had 3 puppies last few days. I would say feed them well, take them for a walk everyday down to the lake what i do. They can loose energy that way and also not feel hungry from being fed well. This works for me and i live where there is plenty of chickens and goats roaming around.

Sorry if not suitable for you, but dont give the dogs to the bucket van as that is not right for any living animal i see it come past mine every so often and i feel like buying the dogs of them.

Paul

Some time back a lady in the village had a good looking dog. It was a chicken killer so she traded it for a bucket. The truck went to the next village and a guy saw the good looking dog in the truck. He bought it. That guy was a relative of the woman who traded the dog. The woman happened to be visiting and saw that dog. She told that guy the story and sure enough the dog had NOT reformed. It got traded for another bucket.

LaoPo and sbk match my own experience in treating chicken slayers, for the egg eating pooch ,just punch a hole top and bottom of a fresh egg and blow out the contents ,get a hypodermic needle from your pharmacy and fill it with a mixture of mustard and water which is then transferred into the egg .

Show the egg to your dog then place it in pooches mouth squeezing its jaws to crush the egg , make him hold it in his gob for a minute or two ,the association of egg and mustard will stop his egg stealing. (unless he develops a taste for mustard that is.) :o

Is that French or English mustard?

• 2 weeks later...

The dogs have no water to drink, not much room to move and are pissed and crapped on by the dogs higher up in the stack.

Just like all chickens,cows and pigs on the way to the slaghuter house.So is the life of an animal raised for food.

You really do need to get rid of the dog if you cannot get it to stop eating the local chickens unless you want to pay for all of them for a long time.Not a dog trainer so I have no real idea how to train it to stop.I have a begale that use to bark all of the time.I got one of those big water guns and evertime he barked at the wrong time I would squirt him.After a while he learned not to bark at everything and anything.It got to the point that all I had to do was show the water gun and he would shut up.