Coffee Shop, Library, Places To Read, Have A Chat With A Friend

yongli

Hi,

I quite enjoy reading in coffee shops, libraries and the like.

Two places I have been to and like:

Black Canyon, Sukhumvit, Soi Asok (@ Siam Society)

The coffee shops at "The Offices at Central World"

Which places do you like for reading, people watching, having a chat with a friend?

Thank you very much for your input,

Yongli

When in Bangers, I usually brekkie at "DeliFrance", Silom Rd.

Sucker for their small danish pastries.

Evenings, "Coffe World", also Silom Rd.

They have a massive (Meaning HUGE) cup of coffee, and free WiFi for computers.

I indulge in my other addiction, messenger.

CW is a great place to meet up with friends for chats, sit back in comfy chairs.

Obviously I stay in the area normally.

Someone in another thread mentioned the Design Center (I can't remember the exact name) in the Emporium... an incredible place, with an incredible selection of design-related material. I had not known about it until very recently. A very nice place to spend an afternoon. It's for members only IIRC, but membership is very affordable (just a token fee).

@zpete, @girlx and @jcon:

Thank you very much for sharing!

I would like to mention another place I like:

True Coffeshop @ Chamchuri Square (Payathai Road, intersection Rama IV), MRT Stop Sam Yan.

(At the southern end of Chulalongkorn University)

On weekends it might be a bit crowded with students though.

Anything in the library department? Like a public library, accessible for free or for a small fee?

I have always found libraries to be very conducive to reading and used them in many major Asian cities. Of course not so good for chatting though :o

PS: I like your idea with the best of lists girlx! At that time I hadn't seen it.

Edited by yongli

Try Neilson Hays Library on Surawong Road. It has a coffee shop and a lawn attached and if you don't want to join the library you can use its facilities for 50 baht a day. It's a lovely old Victorian building purpose-built in 1869.

someone told me there is a library in central world, but i have never been able to find it- does anyone know what i am talking about?

TK (Thailand Knowledge) Park on the 8th floor has a library, but I think it's a Thai-language facility. The website is unavailable at the moment. http://www.tkpark.or.th/

I believe there's quite a good English-language library at the Stock Exchange building next to the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre, but I haven't been there.

Being a coffee shop fan, I decided to try a few different ones: Yesterday I went to

Coffee Society (@Silom)

Nice Latte, food, open 24 hours

Outside sitting area and three floors inside (it sounds bigger than it is). Free WIFI, if you bring your computer.

You get off @BTS Sala Daeng and exit on the same side as the Parpong Sois.

You walk for 3 min. towards Rama IV Road - it appears.

Today I went to Dasa Bookshop and Cafe, Sukhumvit (after Soi 26)

BTS: Phrom Pong

They have a nice selection of used books - pretty much well categorized, and they have a few coffee tables.

Open 10am to 8pm (according to their website)

Edited by yongli

Phra Atit Road at the river - the one that was part of Manager Magazine, forget the name. Has some books and papers and is gorgeous

Hi Nampeung,

is this a coffee shop, a bookshop or a combination of the two?

Do you remember where on Phra Atit?

Thanks, Yongli

Today my coffee shop exploration took me to Phra Athit Road:

Ricky's Cafe (mentioned by Girlx) looked really nice.

And I found another one:

Coffee & More, 102/1 Phra-Athit Road.

Nice athmosphere, lively, but not too crowded.

If you come from Ricky`s, keep walking towards the Fort. Coffee & More is on the same side as Ricky's. When

you see a gate with a security guard, that's where you have to walk in.

It is in a very nice building. (I think the waitress mentioned, the whole ground belongs to ASTV or some newspaper or both)

The whole Phra-Athit Road is quite nice and good for a stroll on a Sunday afternoon. First you could walk a bit along the river, than sit in one of the coffee shops and then they have plenty of choices for dinner, either along the road, or if you like a river view and don't mind it a bit more expensive, just walk along the river. Quite a few river view restaurants. Funny, the last time I have been to that road is ten years ago ;-) I must have been blind then.

Thanks girlx and Nampeung (maybe that is the one you mentioned?).

PS: If you are close to Siam/National Stadium Bus Number 15 (get on the side where the Nátional Stadium is) takes you Phra Athit.

Edited by yongli

I like the Coffee Shop/Book Shop on the top floor of Amarin Plaza ... the book shop's average, although they do sell old UK magazines for 20 BHT, but combined with the food court it's a good place to hang out and people watch. Also has WIFI.

There's also a nice new coffee shop off Sukhumvit Soi 63 Soi 6 .... Berry something ... and another nice recenty opened one on Soi 33 just after the big Italian restaurant opposite Tenderloins.

Used to like Starbucks, but with the fall in the pound I can't afford the interest on the mortgage to buy a coffee!

Hi Yongli, sounds like you found the one I mentioned :o It's nice and good ambiance. When you come out of there turn right and just before the fort there's a good bookshop/card shop with a nice cafe upstairs. Then just after that there is the famous roti shop opp the fort. Wonderful for Muslim tea and roti with curry sauce

Hi Yongli, sounds like you found the one I mentioned :o It's nice and good ambiance. When you come out of there turn right and just before the fort there's a good bookshop/card shop with a nice cafe upstairs. Then just after that there is the famous roti shop opp the fort. Wonderful for Muslim tea and roti with curry sauce

Hi Nampeung,

:D More ideas, cool. I quite enjoy exploring. I have seen the Roti shop - lot's of people queueing there.

Hey Yongli, come out of Coffee and More and turn left and keep walking for a bit until you come to The Hemlock Restaurant. Not sure about the coffee and no books to speak of but an excellent Thai place populated by Thais and Westerners with good wine.

Also just around the corner (going right) from the Roti shop would be the Joy Luck Club - an interesting bunch gather there at night if Khun Joy is still there.

Do you want to know about the falafel place nearby or are you just into coffee?

Hey Yongli, come out of Coffee and More and turn left and keep walking for a bit until you come to The Hemlock Restaurant. Not sure about the coffee and no books to speak of but an excellent Thai place populated by Thais and Westerners with good wine.

Also just around the corner (going right) from the Roti shop would be the Joy Luck Club - an interesting bunch gather there at night if Khun Joy is still there.

Do you want to know about the falafel place nearby or are you just into coffee?

Hi Nampeung,

other nice places are also welcome. Thank you for sharing.

Yongli

I like the Coffee Shop/Book Shop on the top floor of Amarin Plaza ... the book shop's average, although they do sell old UK magazines for 20 BHT, but combined with the food court it's a good place to hang out and people watch. Also has WIFI.

There's also a nice new coffee shop off Sukhumvit Soi 63 Soi 6 .... Berry something ... and another nice recenty opened one on Soi 33 just after the big Italian restaurant opposite Tenderloins.

Used to like Starbucks, but with the fall in the pound I can't afford the interest on the mortgage to buy a coffee!

Hi Familyonthemove:

Thank you for the info.

So I went to Soi33 to explore a a bit.

Caffe Mocca on Soi33, opposite Novotel. They have indoor and outdoor seating.

Not yet many people, but a nice place.

Nice Latte for 70 THB.

And free WIFI from a nearby restaurant (after a free online registration). Just choose network Basilico and follow the instructions.

BTS Phrong Phong

Edited by yongli

When in Bangers, I usually brekkie at "DeliFrance", Silom Rd.

Sucker for their small danish pastries.

Evenings, "Coffe World", also Silom Rd.

They have a massive (Meaning HUGE) cup of coffee, and free WiFi for computers.

I indulge in my other addiction, messenger.

CW is a great place to meet up with friends for chats, sit back in comfy chairs.

Obviously I stay in the area normally.

Hi ZPete

Today I believe, I finally found the Coffee World @ Silom you recommended. Previously I thought, it was the tiny Coffee World in the basement of Silom Complex :o :

BTS Saladaeng Exit1 walking past Soi4, here we are.

It truly is a nice Coffee Shop, very nice to sit with friends, surf the web... The nicest Coffee World I have seen. Thank you.

@All:

Any other favorite place to chat with friends, make new friends, watch people, read books, surf the net, think and be inspired etc. and you want to share it, please post it.

If you know the name and/or BTS/MRT/Bus/Boat directions, please include them as well. But if not, include the place anyway so we got something to explore :D

I would like to give it a few more days, then post a list, if you girls and guys don't mind.

Yongli

Edited by yongli

My local coffee shop used be down stairs in Fortune Town in Racthada. Can't remember the name of it now though. It's opposite the guitar store.

Free wi-fi, nice staff, good broad selection of customers.

I used sit there for hours working away and always felt more than welcome.

They only have a few magazines lying around the place so there's no books.

Not sure if it's worth travelling quite a distance to get there but it's a great little spot if you live nearby.

Soi 22. The Parrot Cafe.

1 km on the right on the cnr of the 1st sub soi that leads to Soi 20 & The Shrimp's studio.

Run by a young Dutchman, Dick or Dirk.

Free Wi Fi, great coffee and food, esp Brunch! no library.

Outdoor smoking area.

Attentive staff.

A quiet oasis in Soi 22 :o

Sukhumvit soi 24. Got to be at least 6-7 goocd quality coffee shops from one end of the soi to the other take a walk up and down. new one jut opened halfway down next to the 7 11 - looks very nice and set back from the soi inside and outside seating.

Here is the latest one and this one is quite lively:

Wawee Coffee in Soi Ari 1 @BTS ARI

(you can see it from the BTS) - but you have to walk down Soi ARI and then turn left

very nice outdoor- and indoor sitting area. Lot's of people today. So you won't be alone there.

WIFI as it seems, I asked the staff (I didn't bring my puter today)