Pakistani Tailors Caught Passing Counterfeit Notes

cali4995

source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000008183

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAKISTANI COUPLE TRY TO CHANGE FAKE STERLING BANK NOTES IN PATTAYA

A Pakistani couple brought 22 individual pound Sterling bank notes to be exchanged on 5 January, 2009, at a currency exchange, but several were discovered to be fake. In consequence, the UOB bank official who had been dealing with them reported the matter to the police.

At 8.30pm, on 5 January, Pol. Lt. Col. Ana Thamchaikul, Pattaya Police Investigator, received a report from Mr. Panuwut Yooyen [24] a staff member of the UOB Bank branch in front of Soi 9, Pattaya Second Road. Mr. Panuwut said he had received two fake bank notes from a foreigner and requested the police to investigate.

At the scene, police met the bank staff holding the two 20 pound bank notes as evidence. Mr. Artif Faruki [34] and Mrs. Krola Taren [23], his wife, both Pakistani nationals, were also at the scene.

Mr. Panuwut said Mrs. Krola Taren and her daughter had arrived with 180 individual pound bank notes to change into Thai baht. While he was counting, he had apparently found 2 twenty pound bank notes were different from the others. He then checked them with a checking machine and found they were fake. He informed Mrs. Krola and explained that the bank had to keep them, according to the regulations. Mrs. Krola started to complain and became angry, accusing the bank of substituting her notes. Mr. Panuwut had tried to explain, but she did not understand and called her husband, asking him to come to the bank currency exchange location where they were.

Mr. Artif Faruki, the owner of the tailor's shop, "Fashion Gallery", in Pattaya Second Road arrived at the scene and started to complain further to the bank officer. Mr. Panuwut then decided to call the police because he assumed that they themselves were either members or victims of a foreign currency scam team that had attempted to pass fake notes several times in the past. Each time, the bank staff had retained all the fake notes.

Police also questioned Mr. Artif faruki and Mrs. Krola Taren, who said they did not know the bank notes were fake and presumed that they were among a number of bank notes they had received from their customers, who had used them to purchase clothes. However, police did not believe them and took them to the police station for further investigation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its seems genuine to me? ... i mean they had so many notes, and only 2 where fake. Also if they where trying to do a scam, why have so many real notes and make a scene at the exchange both??

Now I know why I no longer carry 1000 Baht notes.

its seems genuine to me? ... i mean they had so many notes, and only 2 where fake. Also if they where trying to do a scam, why have so many real notes and make a scene at the exchange both??

Now I know why I no longer carry 1000 Baht notes.

Its the oldest trick in the book to put a few bad notes in with the good ones.

Pity i really like tailors aswell.

Its the oldest trick in the book to put a few bad notes in with the good ones.

Pity i really like tailors aswell.

180 notes of 20 pounds = approx. 185.000 baht including 2 fake notes at a value of 2100 baht.

For sure it's a trick.Hang them high.

"Pity i really like tailors aswell." .................i hope that was sarcasm,you cant walk past a tailors shop without them trying to shake ur hand or try there cockney accent or yank accent,german etc depending on what they think you are and usher you into there den.......i dont want a bloody suit,i live in thailand and not planning on going to court here soon haha

Quite interesting - I thought everybody knew that almost all tailor shops are actually money exchanging fronts. Lets face it - how can selling a couple of suits = enough profit to pay either the rent or the freehold on these premises. The average South Asian Tailor shop has zero need to go to a money exchanger.

i think the sure way to prove they are innocent is to show the police their business ledgers, this should account for all that cash, amusing they were not cheating the tax man. :o

was that an intended slip...."amusing they were not cheating".....instead of asuming haha

Quite interesting - I thought everybody knew that almost all tailor shops are actually money exchanging fronts. Lets face it - how can selling a couple of suits = enough profit to pay either the rent or the freehold on these premises. The average South Asian Tailor shop has zero need to go to a money exchanger.

You're on the money there, Digger.

"Wifey" was sent down first as a young woman is less suspicious. When it went wrong, she had to call for back up higher up in the criminal organisation. Pakistanis are continually nicked in Thailand in connection with forgery. More often it's fake passports though.

Doubt they'll do any time though. They know how much it costs to buy themselves out of trouble.

Just thought...

what would a Pakistani tailor be doing with £3600? that's about 180-200K Baht.

Assuming a suit with all the trimmings = 5K then that means he has sold 20 recently for which he has taken Sterling instead of Thai Baht when sterling is on shaky ground.

may be he took some poor "wet behind the ears" new in town tourist to the cleaners?

or may be he takes in laundry? :o

Just thought...

what would a Pakistani tailor be doing with £3600? that's about 180-200K Baht.

Assuming a suit with all the trimmings = 5K then that means he has sold 20 recently for which he has taken Sterling instead of Thai Baht when sterling is on shaky ground.

may be he took some poor "wet behind the ears" new in town tourist to the cleaners?

or may be he takes in laundry? :o

he just gives an extra special discount to the poms if they pay in pounds. :D

You're on the money there, Digger.

"Wifey" was sent down first as a young woman is less suspicious. When it went wrong, she had to call for back up higher up in the criminal organisation. Pakistanis are continually nicked in Thailand in connection with forgery. More often it's fake passports though.

Doubt they'll do any time though. They know how much it costs to buy themselves out of trouble.

Yeah Mr. FBI :o

But much less than any other nationality like British, Americans, Australians involving crime against children and drugs :D

• 2 weeks later...