Good International School

Geekfreaklover

Where you are located in Bangkok will make a huge difference to recommendations. So where are you located?

Soi224

Currently living outside Bangkok in Pak Chong. We are looking to relocate to Bangkok, we will be choosing the school first and then relocating accordingly. My other half is from Bang Na, so we may gravitate towards that location.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Where you are located in Bangkok will make a huge difference to recommendations. So where are you located?

Soi224

Currently living outside Bangkok in Pak Chong. We are looking to relocate to Bangkok, we will be choosing the school first and then relocating accordingly. My other half is from Bang Na, so we may gravitate towards that location.

Bangkok Patana International School has Bang Na campus too.

Bangkok Patana International School

As said many times before, "good" international school is one that is accredited as such.

Cut corner "English program" at 80K baht per year are not International schools.

Be ready to pay 25,000US$ per child if you want "good international school".

Edited by think_too_mut

Thanks. Searching on the internet is a bit of a maze. It's personal reccomendations gathered from personal expereince that I hope to receive.

The kids are only four and five years old. I plan to take them back to the UK in one year. What I am interested in is a school where English is taught and spoken in lessons to prepare them for UK schooling. We don't want to pay too much, as it just for a year to get them up to speed with the language.

Thanks again.

Jim.

Thanks. Searching on the internet is a bit of a maze. It's personal reccomendations gathered from personal expereince that I hope to receive.

The kids are only four and five years old. I plan to take them back to the UK in one year. What I am interested in is a school where English is taught and spoken in lessons to prepare them for UK schooling. We don't want to pay too much, as it just for a year to get them up to speed with the language.

Thanks again.

Jim.

Well, you said: Can anyone here recommend a good international (English language) School in or around Bangkok?

My child (near 5 years old) is in an accredited International school in Japan and my personal experience is like someone staying in Sheraton in Tokyo and recommending Sheraton in Bangkok. Equally good as both are managed the same way and belong to the same group (an equivalent to accredited International schools anywhere in the world).

Thanks again.

Jim.

Well, you said: Can anyone here recommend a good international (English language) School in or around Bangkok?

My child (near 5 years old) is in an accredited International school in Japan and my personal experience is like someone staying in Sheraton in Tokyo and recommending Sheraton in Bangkok. Equally good as both are managed the same way and belong to the same group (an equivalent to accredited International schools anywhere in the world).

Ok shall I rephrase the question... Does anybody know a bad international school?

Thanks again.

Jim.

Ok shall I rephrase the question... Does anybody know a bad international school?

Dozens of them...everywere...all those without International accreditation....but they are not "International". They are "affordable" with more or less English and will do less for English skills than 2 hours per week of private tution.

Better ones have people like Stickman as teachers.

Dozens of them...everywere...all those without International accreditation....but they are not "International". They are "affordable" with more or less English and will do less for English skills than 2 hours per week of private tution.

Better ones have people like Stickman as teachers.

I see; a number of the schools call themselves 'international' to attract international students

Who is the international accreditation body?

does anyone know of a better affordable school?

If it is only for a year maybe a private tutor might be an option? Invest the money in intensive private 1-1 tutoring ratehrthan moving them to a new school for only a year? Like think to mutt has implied, it is hard to know which school will actually provide them with what they need & by the time you do figure it out it will be too late (in the limited time frame you have) to find alternatives. Good luck

My daughter is currently at Patana in Bang Na .... it is generally thought to be one of the top four; Patana, Shrewsbury, NIST (IB) and Harrow. They are all pretty good, but not cheap. Teachers at all these schools seemed very good when I did the tour.

My concern about all these schools is the class sizes. At over 25 per class Patana is one of the worst for this, and the overall feel of the school is like an 80's inner city comprehensive with mass education and one size fits all approach to the children. The teachers have no time to adjust to the needs of individual children, especially as Patana does not even have teaching assistants.

Our previous school in India had class sizes of 12-14 and each class had an assistant as well as the teacher.

For this reason I'm going to look at the KIS school, which has a more community feel, though it's IB rather than English curriculum, and has a lower percent of ex-pat kids.

Good luck with your search.

Have you considered the International School in Khao Yai so that there will be no need to move to Bangkok?

Have you considered the International School in Khao Yai so that there will be no need to move to Bangkok?

Yes, had a look at St Stephens in Khao Yai (just up the road from me) large campus, looks like a good school, but they don't take students under the age of six-seven years old. Mine are four and five.

We will have to keep looking.

Thanks,

j.

Hi,

Please take a look at www.international.stjohn.ac.th and if our good international school appeals to you call me on +66836180297 or e-mail me on [email protected] and I will personally show you around my school. As you have two children I can give you a competitive deal.

Would you really want your child to attend a school who's head master writes a posts like this?

Is it possible and easy to get a one yr visa for my gf (filipino) to stay in Bangkok?

Hi,

Please take a look at www.international.stjohn.ac.th and if our good international school appeals to you call me on +66836180297 or e-mail me on [email protected] and I will personally show you around my school. As you have two children I can give you a competitive deal.

Would you really want your child to attend a school who's head master writes a posts like this?

Is it possible and easy to get a one yr visa for my gf (filipino) to stay in Bangkok?

Hmmm. I have nothing against the intent of the above post. The grammar and spelling, however, leave a little bit to be desired.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

St andrews school has a campus at soi lasalle in Bangna. We have 2 kids aged 3 and 5 at their Sathorn campus and have a house in bangna, so at some point we were planning to transfer them there (if the house is ever finished!).

It's expensive, by thai standards, at around 350k per child per year, but I've had absolutely no complaints. Both my kids are fluent Thai but within about a term of going to the school they were conversing in English and I think at the age your kids are, if they have had prior exposure to English, i.e. you have been around and spoken to them, then I would think they would be ready for the UK after a year.

Hi,

Hmmm. I have nothing against the intent of the above post. The grammar and spelling, however, leave a little bit to be desired.

:o:D

(note to myself...its ok, this is not the teaching forum, you can mock the afflicted) :D

St andrews school has a campus at soi lasalle in Bangna. We have 2 kids aged 3 and 5 at their Sathorn campus and have a house in bangna, so at some point we were planning to transfer them there (if the house is ever finished!).

It's expensive, by thai standards, at around 350k per child per year, but I've had absolutely no complaints. Both my kids are fluent Thai but within about a term of going to the school they were conversing in English and I think at the age your kids are, if they have had prior exposure to English, i.e. you have been around and spoken to them, then I would think they would be ready for the UK after a year.

Thanks. St Andrews is one school we have been looking at. What is the average classroom size at Sathorn?

My daughter is currently at Patana in Bang Na .... it is generally thought to be one of the top four; Patana, Shrewsbury, NIST (IB) and Harrow. They are all pretty good, but not cheap. Teachers at all these schools seemed very good when I did the tour.

I am just curious on what criteria you rate the top 4? By reputation, the top 2 have always been Patana and ISB with Patana following the British system and ISB the American.

I would heartily recommend the bi-lingual school Yaam Saard which has a school in Bangkok. I have a 3.5 year old boy in their Hua Hin branch and I'm very impressed with the amount of love and attention present for the children at the school. Yearly, it's about 100k or less. 12 students per class with one American/one Thai teacher.

I would heartily recommend the bi-lingual school Yaam Saard which has a school in Bangkok. I have a 3.5 year old boy in their Hua Hin branch and I'm very impressed with the amount of love and attention present for the children at the school. Yearly, it's about 100k or less. 12 students per class with one American/one Thai teacher.

Thanks for the tip. Had a look at their website. Looks good.

Thanks. St Andrews is one school we have been looking at. What is the average classroom size at Sathorn?

Hi, not sure about the older kids but in my daughter's age (5) the ratio is about 1:14 (or 1:7 if you include the thai assistant)

I am just curious on what criteria you rate the top 4? By reputation, the top 2 have always been Patana and ISB with Patana following the British system and ISB the American.

I didn't include ISB as the OP was after information on English language schools :o

Seriously though ... I've been disappointed in Patana, 26 in a class, 6 people sharing each text book due to shortages and now non-English speaking children in the class requiring a volunteer translator in the lessons. Looks to me like profitability is more important that pupils.

Seriously though ... I've been disappointed in Patana, 26 in a class, 6 people sharing each text book due to shortages and now non-English speaking children in the class requiring a volunteer translator in the lessons. Looks to me like profitability is more important that pupils.

Of course it is a commercial venture, but shortage? That school is a bit more expensive than mine in Japan, no excuses for any shortage nor for large classes (at their prices).

What are the non-English speaking children in Patana? Thais, Japanese, Korean?

I didn't include ISB as the OP was after information on English language schools :o

This is important info to me as well as we have been seriously thinking of moving to Patana (I have already applied and our kid has already been accepted, hence the importance). I will certainly check these things out.

Thanks for the heads up.

My concern about all these schools is the class sizes. At over 25 per class Patana is one of the worst for this, and the overall feel of the school is like an 80's inner city comprehensive with mass education and one size fits all approach to the children. The teachers have no time to adjust to the needs of individual children, especially as Patana does not even have teaching assistants.

Our previous school in India had class sizes of 12-14 and each class had an assistant as well as the teacher.

For this reason I'm going to look at the KIS school, which has a more community feel, though it's IB rather than English curriculum, and has a lower percent of ex-pat kids.

Good luck with your search.

I think the problems with Patana started when they decided to grow the school at each year group. I have heard that they now have 7 or 8 classes in each year group with up to 26 children in each class. For some reason they also decided to get rid of the Teachers' Assistant assigned to each class.

Seems that the international schools are just getting greedy.

Of course it is a commercial venture, but shortage? That school is a bit more expensive than mine in Japan, no excuses for any shortage nor for large classes (at their prices).

No .... the Japanese and the Koreans speak perfect English .... they are European.

And there's even an English entry exam ... but money speaks perfect English!

No .... the Japanese and the Koreans speak perfect English .... they are European.

And there's even an English entry exam ... but money speaks perfect English!

Russian tycoons sending their families there? The mafia from Russia has not come in a full blown fashion, but their money and their families have?

Edited by think_too_mut