Ping Pong Bomb Explodes Inside Government House

george

Ping pong bomb explodes inside Government House

BANGKOK: -- A ping pong bomb exploded inside the Government House complex Thursday afternoon while the prime minister was chairing a meeting of senior security officers.

The bomb exploded at 2 pm while officials were clearing the compound to make preparations for Children's Day celebration.

The bomb was hidden inside a pipe behind the Thai Kufah Building where Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was chairing a meeting of security agencies.

It accidentally went off when workers removed the pipe.

The bomb was believed to be hidden when the People's Alliance for Democracy seized the Government House last year.

-- The Nation 2009-01-08

^Back on topic

Its the other way round. Its ping pong balls inside a casing. Fired out at high velocity. Fast enough to crater tarmac.

Are you sure? I got the impression from photo's I saw from the October 7 coverage that they're basically ping-pong-sized balls - and assumed that they're filled with the same mixture as you get in the tiny paper-wrapped fireworks that detonate when you throw them against a hard surface. Same principle - bigger scale?

from what i can find out, they are more of a smoke bomb than an explosive device.

Maybe a bit of karma?

"A ping pong bomb exploded inside the Government House complex Thursday afternoon while the prime minister was chairing a meeting of senior security officers"......................... "The bomb was believed to be hidden when the People's Alliance for Democracy seized the Government House last year."

FF

So is this a dangerous item akin to a grenade or mine or is it just a firecracker.

From the previous posts i am still not aware if BOMB is the correct terminology.

I don't think "Inside Government house" is the correct terminology either. The pictures I saw were of a sewer/drain grating in the grounds, and outside any building.

So is this a dangerous item akin to a grenade or mine or is it just a firecracker.

From the previous posts i am still not aware if BOMB is the correct terminology.

I don't think "Inside Government house" is the correct terminology either. The pictures I saw were of a sewer/drain grating in the grounds, and outside any building.

Usual journalese. The Nation article text actually says inside the "complex" but "compound" is less ambiguous and more accurate - as per the text in the Bangkok Post version (and names those present at the PM's meeting):

Explosion at Government House

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 8/01/2009 at 04:51 PM

A bomb exploded at the Government House on Thursday, when Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was chairing a meeting.

Police said they suspected that the small device was placed near the Thai Ku Fah building inside the Government House compound, when the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) occupied the complex in August last year to oust the government led by the dissolved People Power party.

The explosion happened in the afternoon, when Mr Abhisit was holding a national security meeting with Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, Army Chief Anupong Paojinda and National Police Chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan.

It did not cause any injuries.

According to police, the explosion occurred when a worker was closing a manhole during security checks at the building in preparation for Children's Day celebration to be held there on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Special Branch Police chief Thiradej Rodphothong said he has assigned police to inspect the complex carefully Thursday and Friday to ensure safety for children who will come to visit the Government House on Children's Day celebration.

"There will be lots of children coming to the Government House, so we need to make sure it is safe for them," he said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1357...s-at-govt-house

Either way, it's still not good. But no doubt we'll start seeing suggestions that it was thrown into the compound and those awfully nice PAD guards just put it somewhere safe...... :o

from what i can find out, they are more of a smoke bomb than an explosive device.

Maybe a bit of karma?

"A ping pong bomb exploded inside the Government House complex Thursday afternoon while the prime minister was chairing a meeting of senior security officers"......................... "The bomb was believed to be hidden when the People's Alliance for Democracy seized the Government House last year."

FF

Not possible that it was planted by the YELLOW because the YELLOW are peaceful unarmed protesters made up of mostly children, woman and the elderly from the Bangkok Elite. Could be from the other side (mainly poor and uneducated farmers), trying to scare the Bangkok Elite.

Are you blokes really going to try and debate which side put it there?

Wouldn't it be easier to just say that some IDIOT put it in there? There is no shortage of idiots involved in what has been going on you know.

:o Its just stupidity at its best....forget about the shirt colour & forget about the persons agenda, its just and example of great stupidity!

Wouldn't it be easier to just say that some IDIOT put it in there? There is no shortage of idiots involved in what has been going on you know.

:o Its just stupidity at its best....forget about the shirt colour & forget about the persons agenda, its just and example of great stupidity!

I would go further and say SOME FUC#WIT put it there... and I don't give a rats ar$e what colour his shirt was!

I'm with you on this one, Neverdie...

I would go further and say SOME FUC#WIT put it there... and I don't give a rats ar$e what colour his shirt was!

I also echo this sentiment. The issue is the stupidity of it, there are other topics on which to debate the political slant. First stop should be to codemn ANYONE who plants explosive devices.

Of course it was some moron that left it behind. Or made it from the beginning.

Thought people didn't have to state the obvious...but of course, when some posters are cheering grenading of yellows and stuff like that, maybe it has to be said...

The point is that the YELLOW has no boomb. Not even one. In fact they had been subjected to daily bomb attack by the RED.

Let say if the YELLOW have bomb, they would have thrown some back when the RED attack them. Just like Isreal in Gaza.

So the bomb that is found must be one the thrown in from the RED long time ago, but refuse to go off.

I actually have no living blood relative left. The last one of my family left alive was a foster sister who was very seriously injured when those filthy murderers blew up the Sari Club in Bali. At the time she was on 7 days of R&R whilst serving with the armed forces in a neighbouring country. Anyone that has had any training or experience with exploding devices whether they be real bombs or IED's will realise what a foul thing they are. My foster sister is still undergoing treatment, has lost the proper use of one of her limbs and her scars of the event will remain with her for life. Many others lost their lives. Many people that are injured by these devices don't die immediately and suffer horifically. Anyone who plants anything that explodes anywhere would have to be the Opitamy of all life.

Forget about the colour of the shirt they were wearing......these cowards of the world that do this sort of thing are the pits....very moronic, idiodic farts of the world :D

I wonder if there are any more presents left by the PAD.

Surely it fills us with confidence to know that the airport was thoroughly cleaned and inspected before it was reopened for business.

God or Budha I hope nothing was overlooked during the airport inspection.... The news of a bomb no matter how small going off in the airport would really be bad....

If you care to re-read my post, I never claimed that the PAD left the device there, i was quoting "" the article which said

"The bomb was believed to be hidden when the People's Alliance for Democracy seized the Government House last year."

I was however commenting on the irony of the fact that the new PM (put into power via PAD unrest) was having a meeting with the security council when a device allegedly left by the PAD was discovered!

FF

If you care to re-read my post, I never claimed that the PAD left the device there, i was quoting "" the article which said

"The bomb was believed to be hidden when the People's Alliance for Democracy seized the Government House last year."

I was however commenting on the irony of the fact that the new PM (put into power via PAD unrest) was having a meeting with the security council when a device allegedly left by the PAD was discovered!

FF

I never quoted you Fatherfigure.....I was actually looking at someone else, perhaps you might like to do a little bit of re-reading! Take a deep breath and relax, its all good....jai yen yen.

Can I add some fuel to the fire by reminding that PAD always complained about undercover agents hiding among them? They exposed them occasionally, but who is to say that many slipped through and were able to do whatever they wanted?

Planting fake evidence against PAD is a perfectly good reason to inflitrate its camp.

Can I add some fuel to the fire by reminding that PAD always complained about undercover agents hiding among them? They exposed them occasionally, but who is to say that many slipped through and were able to do whatever they wanted?

Planting fake evidence against PAD is a perfectly good reason to inflitrate its camp.

Ohhhh Wilber! :o:wai::D:D:D:D

Anyone got any tin foil hats?

:D I was going to ask TAWP for a link to where people were "cheering grenading of yellows" :o, but your post is much more ridiculous. Pass the tin foil hat.