Bkk-kk

callum06

I have always flown, but Thai friends tell me that the VIP air-conditioned buses are good. Different companies offer more or less good service, so you need to identify the better services. Buses to Udon will also stop in khon Kaen on request. The train is pretty slow but does have a certain amount of novelty. Sorry not to be more precise. It may be worth looking at the Khon Kaen forum.http://khonkaen.com/english/forum/

Here is a recent post:

Nakhon Chai Air run a 24 seat First Class service a couple of times per day, one leaves Khon Kaen around 11.00am and the other is in the late evening. Nakhon Chai are located at the air-con bus station on Klang Muang road (opposite Kaen Inn) and you should book in advance for first class as it is very popular since the air fares have risen. First class has seat-back video screens and a good level of service, cost is around 600 baht one way.

____

You will need to do a web search for their internet site, but it is said the English website has gone down and the new Thai site is not yet updated. I expect others on the forum will know more.

Edited by Lite Beer

[

The night sleeper train would be fun for the kids. First Class. A seperate compartment with 2 bunks. They will allow 1 adult and 2 kids. 2nd class . A compartment with a lot of bunks, but pretty private. You have to book in advance. Time table http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

Bus. Nachonthai air have a first class bus service. Really good. Massage chair. Individual tv screens with movies and games. Sorry but the site is in Thai. http://www.nca.co.th/newweb/news/detail.php?news_id=39

The bus was around 600 Baht.

[

The night sleeper train would be fun for the kids. First Class. A seperate compartment with 2 bunks. They will allow 1 adult and 2 kids. 2nd class . A compartment with a lot of bunks, but pretty private. You have to book in advance. Time table http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

Bus. Nachonthai air have a first class bus service. Really good. Massage chair. Individual tv screens with movies and games. Sorry but the site is in Thai. http://www.nca.co.th/newweb/news/detail.php?news_id=39

The bus was around 600 Baht.

Nahkonchai Air bus First Class bus is superb way to travel - you get food and drink served by a person wearing a hostess badge (male and female wear "Hostess" badge!!!), blankets, toilet and great countryside.

You need to book the First Class early, VIP closer to the time, but for Songkran would suggest book now

If you take the coach from the Northern bus terminal there are many tour operators running this route. Make sure to get a service using a double decker coach as these ones have only three seats to a row upstairs plus a lot more leg room....very comfortable. Journey takes about 7 hours. I prefer daytime travel as you can enjoy the view on the way.

The train takes longer but is also o.k. but I would be careful of a first class cabin. Sometimes they set the air conditioning way too low and it can be absolutely freezing !

I would agree with Citizen33 Nakhon Chai air is the way to travel from BKK/KK. Service is excellent on the "standard" and 'first class" coaches and they have an excellent safety record. Would not recomend travelling on the "VIP" double decker buses, the Khon Kaen depot is near where I live and almost daily they bring in another wreck. Make sure you book well in advance or you will be walking during the Songkran period.

Have always had good service with Chan Tour bus service. It has one row of two seats and a single seat row, only three across. No video in the seatbacks but the do have Thai meals and a movie which is in Thai. about 350 baht one-way.

NCA have 2 types of VIP. One is 8 rows of 2 * 2 = 32 seats and the other is 8 rows of 2 + 1 = 24 seats.

I haven't been on the 24 seater as it is not on my route but Pattaya to Buriram was about Bt415 or something for the VIP.

Ask about them playing video in the daytime (night-time they do not) with sound all around as it is infuriating.

Food stops are crap but included in the price. Eat well before and bring your own snacks. I'd personally make some sandwiches (I did).

Haven't done that route on the train but the train should have a buffet car which is good for some OK food (in my experience on different routes). It will be much slower but is not expensive. 1st class carriages are usually right at the back and about a mile from the buffet and the rolling stock is old. I'd check out the travel times and prices but whilst I'd go for the train, I'm not sure I would with my baby daughter in tow.

Me too, their website has been knackered for perhaps 2 years now.

but a more detailed look shows it to be as much use as a chocolate fire-guard as it is out of date and does not show the interim stops, such as what time is the bus from Pattaya to Korat ? You have no idea.

Nice try but still need something we can use.

Edited by torrenova

• 3 weeks later...
Will be traveling from Bangkok to Khon Kaen just before Songkran with 2 young naughty boys, my budget doesn't cover flights so it is either the bus or the train!!

Any advice would be great... cheers

Callum :o

I have an alternative suggestion.

If you do have relationships in Khon Kaen, then get them to arrange a local minivan to pick you up in Bangkok. I have my self done simular, and the price was baht 1.500 each day including driver. And add gasoline to that.

If you are travelling more persons, it is cheap compared to flying - and actually very fast. Espacially because it taks you directly from a to b - with out having to go to aiport or busstation check in etc.

If you're travelling by road you need to leave several days before Songkhran, I made this journey by bus last year and it was an absolute nightmare, took about 11 hours on the day before.

If you travel by bus, the Nakhonchai Air First Class (as opposed to VIP) buses are definitely worth the extra, you have your own video and a choice of some english movies.

If there are several of you travelling you might also consider renting a small car, you can drop off a KK airport for a small surcharge if you rent with Thai Car Rental