Policeman Cheats Bt1.2 Million In Traffic Fine Rewards

george

For the dozens of Posts who have an 'attitude', reflected in comments, that 'corruption' only exists in Thailand and for the few who, rightly, pointed out that it exists everywhere; here are some random examples.

Just Google these topics> RCMP corruption, Chicago police corruption, books on police corruption.

Companies bribe politicians all over the world to get contracts.

Do you think those bought off police and politicians in American mobster movies have no basis in fact?

Have you heard of Stevens in Alaska? Wait until the building of the Palin's 1/2 million dollar house by 'friends who are contractors' comes out. It's on Utube, even. 'Todd Palin house contractors' might get it. The same contractors were building the sports center down the road.

What about the millions of unmarked money the Americans borrowed from the Chinese to pay Iraqis in the 'splurge'. The stupidest strategy in the history of military encounters. You pay reparation after victory!

There are thousands of examples, yearly, world wide of police, political and military blunders: you don't have to get all racist against the Thais to the extent it occurs here as well.

As for that night club disaster, there was an overcrowded houseboat that sunk and killed people in British Columbia, look at all the stadium deaths around the world when football fans stampede. How may NA rock concerts have had deaths.

That Post led to an 'only in Thailand' rant as well.

If Thailand is so BAD for so many of you who whine and complain in these pages, why don't you go home where things are so rosy?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police officer allegedly cheats peers out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards

CHIANG MAI: -- Some 50 traffic policemen of the Chiang Mai head office Friday field complaint against their peer, alleging him with cheating them out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards.

The policemen filed complaint against Police Senior Sergeant Major Thanawat Sinpieng, 47, at the Muang district police station.

They said Thanawat was assigned to withdraw the money of traffic fine rewards for December from the Krung Thai Bank's San Pa Khoy branch in the Muang district on December 29 but he disappeared.

The money was for sharing among 150 traffic policemen, they said.

They said Thanawat was earlier assigned to withdraw the money several times with no problem.

He has disappeared with his family.

-- The Nation 2009-01-09

This is the best news I have read in months

What you are saying is that to fight corruption with police officers taking money, they allow them to take equal amount of money even if they force the drivers to pay the full 'required' amount (at the station, not in hand). So the officers gets the same amount, the drivers pay more and the government gets more in revenue. Interesting... fighting corruption by still allowing them to take the same amount...

You cant fight corruption when you pay your cops a scandalous salary !! Is this a joke ?? As en ex-cop, my state gave me a salary high enough so I did not want to be corrupted.

Do you think getting a 5000/mo to take care of a family is enough while they can make so much money easily, of course the practice is hatefull but this is life and no one can tell me the government do not know about that... I even think the government is part of that corruption deal with the police...

I agree my police pension alone is worth more than any police officer makes in this country.They are way under paid and have to make it up somewhere.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!! :o:D:D:D

So was this an account with bribe/payoff money, since surely the legally collected money wouldn't be distributed to some officers from some bank account but going back to the treasure department and benefit all citizens...?

Edit: Monthly amount of 1.2m, divided amongst 150 officers = 8k baht extra in pocket money.

8000 baht as a reward for helping to make the streets a little bit safer. After all the griping we've seen on this board about enforcement of the law, do you really begrudge them that money?

As a pedestrian that has been nearly run over several times by Thais and Farang drivers yapping away on cell phones while behind the wheel, I personally wish that the amount was a little higher.

For the dozens of Posts who have an 'attitude', reflected in comments, that 'corruption' only exists in Thailand and for the few who, rightly, pointed out that it exists everywhere; here are some random examples.

Just Google these topics> RCMP corruption, Chicago police corruption, books on police corruption.

Companies bribe politicians all over the world to get contracts.

Do you think those bought off police and politicians in American mobster movies have no basis in fact?

Have you heard of Stevens in Alaska? Wait until the building of the Palin's 1/2 million dollar house by 'friends who are contractors' comes out. It's on Utube, even. 'Todd Palin house contractors' might get it. The same contractors were building the sports center down the road.

What about the millions of unmarked money the Americans borrowed from the Chinese to pay Iraqis in the 'splurge'. The stupidest strategy in the history of military encounters. You pay reparation after victory!

There are thousands of examples, yearly, world wide of police, political and military blunders: you don't have to get all racist against the Thais to the extent it occurs here as well.

As for that night club disaster, there was an overcrowded houseboat that sunk and killed people in British Columbia, look at all the stadium deaths around the world when football fans stampede. How may NA rock concerts have had deaths.

That Post led to an 'only in Thailand' rant as well.

If Thailand is so BAD for so many of you who whine and complain in these pages, why don't you go home where things are so rosy?

Kenia have the most corrupt police in the world, also in brasil you must go outside and you must have some dollar only for the "fine"....you right i said the same, like you i see more in many country...But sometimes the thai policemen are the most ridicolous for try to save their face....not only them here.

Edited by oceano

So was this an account with bribe/payoff money, since surely the legally collected money wouldn't be distributed to some officers from some bank account but going back to the treasure department and benefit all citizens...?

Edit: Monthly amount of 1.2m, divided amongst 150 officers = 8k baht extra in pocket money.

8000 baht as a reward for helping to make the streets a little bit safer. After all the griping we've seen on this board about enforcement of the law, do you really begrudge them that money?

As a pedestrian that has been nearly run over several times by Thais and Farang drivers yapping away on cell phones while behind the wheel, I personally wish that the amount was a little higher.

Are you kidding us?

I would love if the police had:

- Higher salary

- Higher acceptance/graduation demands

- Efficient Internal Affairs-dep.

Unless all three happens, the others are fairly useless.

Police officer allegedly cheats peers out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards

CHIANG MAI: -- Some 50 traffic policemen of the Chiang Mai head office Friday field complaint against their peer, alleging him with cheating them out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards.

The policemen filed complaint against Police Senior Sergeant Major Thanawat Sinpieng, 47, at the Muang district police station.

They said Thanawat was assigned to withdraw the money of traffic fine rewards for December from the Krung Thai Bank's San Pa Khoy branch in the Muang district on December 29 but he disappeared.

The money was for sharing among 150 traffic policemen, they said.

They said Thanawat was earlier assigned to withdraw the money several times with no problem.

He has disappeared with his family.

-- The Nation 2009-01-09

At least, now we know where all fines go.

They should do there job without getting anything for writing a ticket. All money collected from fines should go back to the treasury not the police pockets.

They should do there job without getting anything for writing a ticket. All money collected from fines should go back to the treasury not the police pockets.

Totally agree laidback.

And it's not only just about the money.

The whole purpose of fines and police records is to improving road safety and deter poor drivers.

Police records lead to higher insurance premiums and licence suspension/cancellation.

Bribery leads to no record, and consequently unsafe drivers get off with a discounted fine.

Now, lets for a moment promote you to the postion of Police Chief in charge of road traffic.

A police force which has been routinely accepting bribes for many years.

Perhaps as much as 75% or more of fines are syphoned off through bribery.

The current regime has taken steps to reduce this corruption by offering a percentage of the takings.

Not moral, but an attempt to reduce bribery to some extent.

How would you address the problem?

PS: The 1.2 million baht might only equal 7 years pay, but could last 14 years if augmented with casual work, or investment in business or land/home.

:o

Edited by rockyysdt

Any police incentive remuneration based on a percentage of the ticket amount, whether on the spot or at the station, is absurd! This system plainly breeds corruption.

As someone said here, what's next? the tax collector getting a percentage of the taxes?

And the excuse that Thai police is underpaid doesn't hold up, police EVERYWHERE are underpaid, including New York, Italy and Greece, just to mention some places where I have personal experience...

In the end, Thailand should aspire to the standards of Korea and Japan, to improve the image and conditions of the country as a whole, not of Indonesia...no offense to Indonesia :o