Stainless Steel Rolling Gate

sweeex

Hi, Up in my wife´s williage we have a house,it´s located on the famely plot, together with sisters and aunts house.

After our last visit I bought the material for building a wall around the houses(al 3 of them), the deal was that my brother in law would make/supervice the construktion.

And from what I know (half a world away) it has worked out fine, and at this moment the metal work (bars),, between the concrete pillars are made.

I am a blacksmith by trade so I know that I cant get my standars meet, and havent had that as a goal eighter!! would cost to mush, and then again ,, I havent seen that kind of metalwork? probably it excist some were in thailand? anyone who knows??

the surrounding wall will have 3 gates, and each house wil decide and pay for their choise. I have been lucky and have a thaifamely that dont consider me as mamon, ofcourse we contribute a bit more than the rest, but to resonable ,,,,limmits.

I have heard of a nearby place to the williage were they weld and make stailess steel rolling gates, so,,, my question to you guy´s is any of you have any experiance in these gates??

on our next trip I would like this gate to be in place ,,so It would I would have to order it from this distace,,

I have not and dont know what the resonable price would be? differance between stainless and iron work?

I will be greatfull for any hint´s / Thank´s.

In the Surin area, 4 meter wide, 2 1/2 meter high, decorative stainless steel gates, with smaller opening gate for people, cost about 25,000 Baht for construction and installation. Hope this helps. :o

Thanks! just the info I need, that´s what we have in mind! will send my brother in law to check,

• 4 months later...

Here in Bangkok, where keeping up with the Joneses is an obsession, most people still use iron (or longer laster steel pipe) based gates. Unless other homes in the area are using the same I would not use something that makes mine (or family) a target.

Here in Bangkok, where keeping up with the Joneses is an obsession, most people still use iron (or longer laster steel pipe) based gates. Unless other homes in the area are using the same I would not use something that makes mine (or family) a target.

The reason behind stainless is the lack of maintanance, and yes there are a few places round here with them. I don't see how putting a stainless steel gate on would make my house a target.

Just wondering if anyone has a recent price for stainless steel gates / railings. I am being quoted about 10,000 per meter for (allegedly) the best quality stainless steel.

Spent the last couple of weeks looking at prices for stainless steel gates/railing.Visited about half a dozen places in the Mukdahan area.

All these guys had catalogues and the prices ranged from 3000B-12000B per meter depending on design and grade.

Needless to say the wife chose the most expensive one :)

The reason behind stainless is the lack of maintanance, and yes there are a few places round here with them. I don't see how putting a stainless steel gate on would make my house a target.

If you build a mansion in a ghetto you become the target of those in need of quick cash. So you should always try to blend in. Unfortunataly many foreigners, and there spouse, do not apply such standards and end up living in virtual prisons.

I agree with the maintenance part and if it is becoming common in your area then by all means go for it - only if it signifies a home that might be worth a break-in was my meaning.

Just wondering if anyone has a recent price for stainless steel gates / railings. I am being quoted about 10,000 per meter for (allegedly) the best quality stainless steel.

Spent the last couple of weeks looking at prices for stainless steel gates/railing.Visited about half a dozen places in the Mukdahan area.

All these guys had catalogues and the prices ranged from 3000B-12000B per meter depending on design and grade.

I feel your pain, we have had to have the most expensive because the cheaper stainless steel....er.....stains?

I feel your pain, we have had to have the most expensive because the cheaper stainless steel....er.....stains?

Have finished house on two levels requiring railing on upper level to stop yours truly falling 4m into rubber trees.

What ever happened to wrought iron or even reg mild steel ??? Have lots of time to repaint etc...SS 308/316 seems a bit over the top for a house! snot a@#$%^&*. an ocean going house..mostly see it in the boonies on drug dealer houses. with gold trim and curlyqs etc.....

Maybe just use hardwood?

Easy way to clean ss .....use toilet cleaner .....works like a hot dam_n on a sailboat!!! :D

Have finished house on two levels requiring railing on upper level to stop yours truly falling 4m into rubber trees.

What ever happened to wrought iron or even reg mild steel ??? Have lots of time to repaint etc...SS 308/316 seems a bit over the top for a house! snot a@#$%^&*. an ocean going house..mostly see it in the boonies on drug dealer houses. with gold trim and curlyqs etc.....

Maybe just use hardwood?

Easy way to clean ss .....use toilet cleaner .....works like a hot dam_n on a sailboat!!! :D

The whole point of the exercise it no maintenance, might be OK when I retire but for now i am too busy farking off all over the world and when I come here I come to relax not paint railings or sand wood.

Any one know how SS is graded here. As would like to know what the choices are?

Rule of thumb - stainless steel that does not have a coat of shiny chrome does not stain. That coat of shiny chrome can be used to hide poor quality stainless steel.

The poster on Cool Thai House has the CORRECT idea many items, especially the BOTTOM of the four sections on his beautiful rolling stainless steel gate.

http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.p...0&start=330

We have a well built strong stainless steel 304 rolling gate with two ERRORS, both mine. The first is that I did not research enough on the correct distance between the verticle bars on the bottom section of our rolling gate. One of the two major reasons for a gate is to keep chickens and dogs out of your yard. 4 1/2 inch gaps are TOO WIDE. Hence we had to install plastic "chicken wire fencing" on our 22,000 baht rolling fence. We have a 5 meter wide opening between concrete "decorative" gate columns. That means your rolling gate is at least 5.8 meters wide. The other error made three years prior to the stainless fence company even setting foot on property to take measurements was a "copy design" done by family who built the concrete property fence prior to many loads of dirt being trucked in to raise the building site. The problem is that this design has a 12cm lip or crown at the top leaving another "gap" for dogs and chickens to enter the property. I should have one year ago knocked out the crown or lip PRIOR to the stainless steel being built and attached.

We temporarily placed some bricks in the gap to stop the inflow of poultry and canine units who chase our cats.

So my advise to the original O.P. or anyone in the process of planning a gate is to look carefully at all designs and seriously consider gaps that allow dogs and poultry to enter. There were several grades of stainless and several "thicknesses" of the actual metal to consider when obtaining bids from various vendors. There are electric fencing added on top of our 225 cm high rolling gate and all fence sections at our home. The electric fence company had a full grasp of how to safely install the electric fence on top of a rolling gate with zero complications. There have been no rust spots on our Korean made stainless steel inside our home, on the terraces, near the salt chlorinated pool or the front fence.

The whole point of the exercise it no maintenance, might be OK when I retire but for now i am too busy farking off all over the world and when I come here I come to relax not paint railings or sand wood.

If you have not built a house here yet and you are a tradesman craftsman you will notice the horrible standard of building & shotty excuse for the final product. Since being in the construction trade & metal trades as a kid....after the first minor house project - there is no chance in hel_l I am going to let a contractor with a meat cleaver do the work besides the foundation pour(which I will be assisting) I wouldn't even let them touch the plumbing after finding out he was going to encase all pipes in concrete. The septic system included in the price was a pump out pit (right outside the back door(How Lovely & STINKY) I put in a proper septic system myself. If your a craftsman & care about the quality of the build you will find yourself (as I am ) working harder than I did when I was 18 years old. At least if you can do what you can yourself & have a clue what you are doing- it is just that much less to have to fix later..........Wait until Somchai want's to cement your toilet in place instead of using the rubber gasket provided. & the electrical(no wonder the new BKK airport burned up prior to opening) black electrical tape on bare wires no blocks no junction boxes OMG. It is still worth the hard labor as all the money in the world most likely buy you a great build in LOS. I figure 2 choices in reality. Lower my expectation to the standards(as it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the U.S. or do it myself & have the satisfaction of a good home build. Never had a problem needing a work permit. I even help the local government assisting & instructing proper techniques in setting up drainage systems. (for free of course) since no one seems to ever have a formal engineering degree & they tend to build a drain going uphill so it won't work LOL

Good luck on an easychair retirement. The upside is I am still at 2 kilo's under my optimum weight!!!!

I will even build my next fence or gates myself the welders are only 4000-6000 baht for a good welder Stainless I am sure would cost more, but would stick out like a sore thumb here & make me a rich farang waiting for a line of Kamoies!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Beardog

• 4 weeks later...

Texas Ranger: That is a great looking gate and I think you have a nice stainless fence design. I've attached some photos of the ERROR I made with regards to a GAP between the rolling gate and the Fancy Concrete Fence POSTS which have a "top lip". The problem with the "gap" is not people entering the property, but small dogs and all sorts of fowl will attempt to enter. The other ERROR I made was in terms of the distance between each vertical bar in the bottom section of the rolling gate. Hence the ugly black plastic mesh on the bottom section. 4 1/2 inches is TOO wide of an opening on the bottom section of the fence. The stainless 304 made in Korea installed by a good crew from Buriram does not show any rust in over one year, but we clean it with mild soap once a month.

post-20604-1245992675_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1245992690_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1245992728_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1245992765_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1245992775_thumb.jpg

Cheers mate,

I made not of your comments previously and they helped me in the planning of the gate. I too had just about enough room for a puppy to squeeze himself through the bottom rail so I had an extra bar welded across the bottom of the gate which does the job nicely, also we would have had a similar gap between the post and the gate due to the roller mechanism so I had a vertical and 4 horizontal bars bridge the gap to stop unwanted guests.

Now we just have to listen to the cry when they get stuck outside :)

I am hoping the extra money spent on the better quality stainless pays off in regards to stains but the guy who we know quite well anyway has pledged to replace any rusted / stained items and he has also got a letter of guarantee from the steel factory so he can claim back also if required. Lets see.......

I like your pics and to be honest probably wouldn't have noticed the plastic mesh if you hadn't mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a square meter Texas? How much did the gate end up costing and what is it's dimensions?

What were the hiccups if you don't mind me asking?

awesome gates and fencetoppings! congrats. I am having some gates built soon too. Our main enterance is now an iron gate. My wife says that a local shop can make more like this. it looks really nice, but i am not sure iron is the best.

If you make from iron/steel highly recommend using heavy round pipe for frame rather than more normal square type (which rusts out very quickly). The round pipe will last much longer. In design try to avoid any 90 degree angles in the iron work as they will be the first to rust.

Edited by lopburi3