Feel Useless

carriew

is there anyway we can help from the uk? will send cash via red cross but can we help directly?

I feel so useless sitting here in my safe uk home

Contact your local governement department of foreign affairs, maybe you canhelp with efforts there ?

can we send anything over without majority being swallowed by admin?

is there anyway we can help from the uk? will send cash via red cross but can we help directly?

I feel so useless sitting here in my safe uk home

Contact your local governement department of foreign affairs, maybe you canhelp with efforts there ?

can we send anything over without majority being swallowed by admin?

I've worked as a fundraising consultant in the past, and can assure you that the Red Cross, and Salvation Army spend very little of the donations on administration.

cv

wissh i could do more.

Imagine a doctor without bandages.

A person trapped under a building and no equipment to dig him out.

A person floating on the sea with no rescue boat to find them.

A child that survived the waves, who has no cholera vaccine, and is in danger of dying from disease now.

If you don't think that you are doing enough, remember that the money you give buys the vaccines that keep that child alive, the bandages that the doctor uses to dress a wound, and the fuel for the rescue boats and heavy equipment.

carriew you have no idea how important what you are doing is...even if from the other side of the world, you are putting tools in the hands of the people on the frontline, they can't do it without you.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

Regarding getting on planes and actually coming here to physically help, I would say dont worry there is thousands helping and many thousands standing around wanting to help. But if you would like to help, come over for a holiday in about 2 weeks time, this would be the best help anyone could make. The weather is gorgeous, the beaches are white, the food is great and the people need your patronage.

hi tornado

coming over is an imposibility at the moment, due to my own health problems. but would love to visit again soon (last trip 2000)

I plan today to visit a thai friend who lives local (although from east coast) to see if there is anything being arranged (maybe collecting for a food aid truck?)

My heart goes out to you all

Regarding getting on planes and actually coming here to physically help, I would say dont worry there is thousands helping and many thousands standing around wanting to help. But if you would like to help, come over for a holiday in about 2 weeks time, this would be the best help anyone could make.  The weather is gorgeous, the beaches are white, the food is great and the people need your patronage.

This is so true. Encourage people to come to this great country. Thats another thing you can do. Tell them to not be put off by this terrible disaster.

I work for a travel company and know many people who have been killed in the south. We have set up an appeal and I can guarantee you that we do not have ANY admin charges whatsoever.

If you are interested, you can go to www.intrepidtravel.com/appeal

Information about the INTREPID FOUNDATION can also be found on the website.

This is not an advertisement. I do work for them. I have been here in Thailand for 5+ years and am donating all of my tips from the last 2 months, and Christmas money from my family to the cause.

You can do a lot to help. Every cent counts, and my company is gonna match dollar for dollar (up to 50,000) the money it receives.

Please help. It means everything.

Regarding getting on planes and actually coming here to physically help, I would say dont worry there is thousands helping and many thousands standing around wanting to help.

I would agree with this - however, I have another suggestion which might be useful.

Call your local airport and see if they are setting up any stations to assist people returning from the disaster areas - maybe you can help staff those stations. I'm sure some of these returnees could use some help or comforting upon their return.

Regarding getting on planes and actually coming here to physically help, I would say dont worry there is thousands helping and many thousands standing around wanting to help. But if you would like to help, come over for a holiday in about 2 weeks time, this would be the best help anyone could make.  The weather is gorgeous, the beaches are white, the food is great and the people need your patronage.

Tornado. Don't you think you being presumptious to recommend people come in about two weeks. After all that has been seen on the media in the last few days, it's ludricous to tell people to come so soon.

I live in Thailand and was due to travel to Phuket on the 3rd of Jan. I have now cancelled my trip till the Tourist board or authorities tell me it is safe to come. I think most sensible folk will do the same. Are you in the tourist business? A bar perhaps?

wissh i could do more.

Imagine a doctor without bandages.

A person trapped under a building and no equipment to dig him out.

A person floating on the sea with no rescue boat to find them.

A child that survived the waves, who has no cholera vaccine, and is in danger of dying from disease now.

If you don't think that you are doing enough, remember that the money you give buys the vaccines that keep that child alive, the bandages that the doctor uses to dress a wound, and the fuel for the rescue boats and heavy equipment.

carriew you have no idea how important what you are doing is...even if from the other side of the world, you are putting tools in the hands of the people on the frontline, they can't do it without you.

cv

I want to do more tried sending money direct but couldnt, sent to thai red cross

its not enough

I know all of what you say is what is happening, but its too horrific to imagine

I have seen so many conflicting stories

am at a loss

will be thinking of you all

XX sorry words fail me more than that

Tornado. Don't you think you being presumptious to recommend people come in about two weeks. After all that has been seen on the media in the last few days, it's ludricous to tell people to come so soon.

I live in Thailand and was due to travel to Phuket on the 3rd of Jan. I have now cancelled my trip till the Tourist board or authorities tell me it is safe to come. I think most sensible folk will do the same. Are you in the tourist business? A bar perhaps?

I'm sure that Torn is not in the bar business and shame on you for asking. He is just trying to help out the people around where he lives.

You will be surprised on how quickly things get back to normal here. Life does go on. The remaining people need our help through donations etc and ultimatly our custom.

This is so true. Encourage people to come to this great country. Thats another thing you can do. Tell them to not be put off by this terrible disaster.

Your words are inspiring. My family decided to cancell our new year holiday plan but what you wrote here made me think again. I'm sure once we are there in Phuket, there would be someone that we can help - fishermen, street vendors, diving instructors etc.

I saw another posting that is opposed to this suggestion. Let's not attack the messenger. The message is reasonable.

Thanks guys.

I'm sure that Torn is not in the bar business and shame on you for asking. He is just trying to help out the people around where he lives.

You will be surprised on how quickly things get back to normal here. Life does go on. The remaining people need our help through donations etc and ultimatly our custom.

donations and ULTIMATELY our custom, YES, but not as soon as has been stated.

I never suggested people do not return ever, but two weeks is far too premature.

I live in kamala which was hit hard. BUT there are some small min marts ( 7-11) that have already opened back up oin the main road.

The island is still here and the damage only goes back about 150 meters.

Ok in 2 weeks it will not be the same BUT there will be places open, There are plenty of hotels still open.

The people will need your help and $$ and if your here you can merely walk down and find an owner of a place and offer. he will be thankful

The toursit boards are already saying it is safe Simbo, you going to base your trip on what they say?

Laguna area was not affected nor was Surin on 99% of karon beach

....but not as soon as has been stated.  I never suggested people do not return ever, but two weeks is far too premature.

You're wrong - in two weeks the beaches will be clean and a lot of businesses along the beach roads will be open - some will not look pretty, but a lot will be open. And the Thais will be even more happy than usual to see tourists.

....but not as soon as has been stated.  I never suggested people do not return ever, but two weeks is far too premature.

You're wrong - in two weeks the beaches will be clean and a lot of businesses along the beach roads will be open - some will not look pretty, but a lot will be open. And the Thais will be even more happy than usual to see tourists.

Yep, Sim, you're wrong. Take a look around Karon beach area, the guesthouses, restaurants, bars and vast majority of shops are operating as normal NOW. Except the numbers of tourists using them has dwindled....

Helping is not just material and cash, What I suggest you do is call you friends together to make some prayers in what religion you are to help those souls to release from fear and suffering.

in Buddhsim believed some of the souls still wondering around the area and with prayers will guide them to heaven.

I realise people seeing this on television will think Phuket is destroyed, but it is not at all. The whole of the east coast is pretty much unaffected as well as some parts on the west coast. I believe within two weeks, Kata, Karon, Nai Harn and many other selected places will be open (many are now) also - Right there you have a choice of many luxury resorts and cheaper hotels to stay at.

I would suggest to you. that we all should do our best for the place we live in, as our friends need the tourism, with that said, If anything Ive stated here is incorrect please feel free to call me a liar.

BTW, I dont own a bar or work in the tourism industry.

a map of phuket

phuket.gif