Camry Vs. Fortuner - Safety First.

NorThai

Depends what hits you I guess, if I recall that's a Camry under that truck, if it was a Fortuner would it have been crushed or would it have been shunted out the way cos of it's height ?

If I had to put money on one or the other, I would go for the Camry for all round safety, roadholding etc, maybe they have 4 or 6 airbags too, Fortuner has only 2, also the chassis on the Camry should handle a front impact better.

I have a Fortuner myself and don't feel unsafe, but I guess that's cos Fortuner get a false sense of security cos of the ride height.

Anyway, Camry or Fortuner against a 10 Tonne truck, my money is on the Truck.

Get a Truck instead ! :o

post-4007-1231698964_thumb.jpg

This happened in the morning of 24.01.03 in Estonia. Toyota Camry,about 1,5 tons meets DAF truck with a sea-container, about 25 tons. All five people in Toyota died and the rescue team could not get the bodies out of the car for 2 hours.The truckdriver didn't had a scratch.

Edited by Maigo6

Depends what hits you I guess, if I recall that's a Camry under that truck, if it was a Fortuner would it have been crushed or would it have been shunted out the way cos of it's height ?

If I had to put money on one or the other, I would go for the Camry for all round safety, roadholding etc, maybe they have 4 or 6 airbags too, Fortuner has only 2, also the chassis on the Camry should handle a front impact better.

I have a Fortuner myself and don't feel unsafe, but I guess that's cos Fortuner get a false sense of security cos of the ride height.

Get a Truck instead ! :D

Thanks, but I think I stay away fro the truck :o , I have been reading some god crash test about the Camry, but I can not find some crash test for the new Fortuner? Anyone?

Thanks, but I think I stay away fro the truck :o , I have been reading some god crash test about the Camry, but I can not find some crash test for the new Fortuner? Anyone?

Nomally on the front page of Thai Language newspapers :D .

Thailand doesn't have any crash tests and Europeans of Americans don't have any Fortuners to test either.

Because? Same reason as for the very poor crash test as Vigo? :o

Or maybe because the Hilux was considered 'morally dangerous' by that Swedish magazine. The Fortuner is basically the same as the Hilux.

IMO no comparison, the Camry will have better handling and brakes, so avoiding accidents will be more easier.

Why Toyota doesn't sell Fortuners in Europe?

Not a match against local SUVs, no favourable tax breaks, lower equipment level, less powerful engine, I suppose, chassis on frame setup also constrains it.

It was built for third world markets, I think.

Toyota can sell RAV4 and Landcruiser in Europe instead.

Careful comparing test data that it refers to a Thai model Camry as they are built different from there EU/USA models. Thai model vehicles have lower specs than there EU/USA counterparts.

Edited by Sakeopete

Thailand doesn't have any crash tests and Europeans of Americans don't have any Fortuners to test either.

Or maybe because the Hilux was considered 'morally dangerous' by that Swedish magazine. The Fortuner is basically the same as the Hilux.

IMO no comparison, the Camry will have better handling and brakes, so avoiding accidents will be more easier.

morally dangerous? i admit i have some misgivings about the character of people who buy fortuners, but i never really thought of it as a moral issue

Edited by t.s

Why Toyota doesn't sell Fortuners in Europe?

Not a match against local SUVs, no favourable tax breaks, lower equipment level, less powerful engine, I suppose, chassis on frame setup also constrains it.

It was built for third world markets, I think.

Toyota can sell RAV4 and Landcruiser in Europe instead.

Local Made Fortuner is Exported to Australia in current 3 Litre Diesel Form and uprated 4 Litre V6 Petrol (Think engine fitted in Aus) So you saying Fortuner only 3rd World Markets ? :o

Australia isn't a third world country?

:o

I don't think Toyota has a strict policy of never ever selling Fortuner to any first world country, but in Europe it's just doesn't sell against Euro made SUVs and even Toyota's own models.

I thought that in Auastralia they sell 3.5l V6 only, but, perhaps Aussies are not so fussy about underpowered Japanese diesels in two ton SUVs, who knows.

morally dangerous? i admit i have some misgivings about the character of people who buy fortuners, but i never really thought of it as a moral issue

The edit button went away before I had a chance to fix the typo. It took a while, but I knew someone would get me for it.

Actually I meant Toyota was morally wrong for selling mortally dangerous cars.

Australia isn't a third world country?

:o

I don't think Toyota has a strict policy of never ever selling Fortuner to any first world country, but in Europe it's just doesn't sell against Euro made SUVs and even Toyota's own models.

I thought that in Auastralia they sell 3.5l V6 only, but, perhaps Aussies are not so fussy about underpowered Japanese diesels in two ton SUVs, who knows.

I have seen them on transporters going to Laem Chabang with V6 Badge and 4.0L Thats the only reason said 4 Litre, found a TRD 4 Litre Vigo on Toyota Aus website but no Fortuner, nothing else to do this morning :D