Costoms Charges Via Fedex Or Other Courier?

sometimewoodworker

HiI am having some new tools sent over from the UK to my wife's aunt in Udon via one of the delivery companys and was wondering if anyone has an idea about how much I should be expecting to pay.

Any information will be useful

The total value is probably about 400GBP

About 25% + VAT but the whole import / duty thing is a minefield.

My perfered method would be to post them but if there is any duty owing you may have to go in person to the post office to collect and pay the duty. Make sure the recipient is an individual not a business better if you put a Thai then you won't have to go in person/copy your passport etc.

DHL, UPS would be simpler as they deliver to your house but they WILL charge you duty. Notice I didn't mention FedEx. I have a personal dislike for their service.

HiI am having some new tools sent over from the UK to my wife's aunt in Udon via one of the delivery companys and was wondering if anyone has an idea about how much I should be expecting to pay.

Any information will be useful

The total value is probably about 400GBP

About 25% + VAT but the whole import / duty thing is a minefield.

My perfered method would be to post them but if there is any duty owing you may have to go in person to the post office to collect and pay the duty. Make sure the recipient is an individual not a business better if you put a Thai then you won't have to go in person/copy your passport etc.

DHL, UPS would be simpler as they deliver to your house but they WILL charge you duty. Notice I didn't mention FedEx. I have a personal dislike for their service.

You'll find a recent thread in the general forum about this. Most people conclude that you will be certain to be charged quite heavily when items are sent by a courier service, but may avoid this by using regular post. On the one occasion where a small electrical item was sent to me by DHL from the UK, the demand from their BKK customs depot was so extortionate that I left the item there (more than re-purchase price). Conversely I have received several items via the GPO without being charged anything. Whatever you do, don't overstate the value on the customs declaration form as my secretary did. Overall it seems to me that courier is not a good option, and you choose between gambling on an unreliable surface post (though you could use something like recorded delivery) or get somebody to bring the item across for you when they fly out.

Edited by citizen33

Our advice for people bringing things into Pattaya, especially from the US was not to bother. If you can't carry it, can't have it brought over etc. then the cost was often so high that you not only write off the cost of the goods you leave at customs but you also have to write off the cost of the postage / courier fees you incur at outset.

OK, if you are rich and you want to bring your furniture over but do people really get that sentimental over a piece of timber ? Tools ? can't you just buy them here ?