Change Visa Tourist To Non Imigrant

I have a 60 tourist visa issued in Cambodia. I have had that Visa exstended for 30 days at Chiang mai Immigration. I have then had an additional exstension of 60 days on the bases that I am married to a Thai lady. I own a lease on a Guest house and my wife runs the guest house. I now want to convet to a NON Imigeration Visa and apply for work permit. I have been informed by Chiang mai immigration that I can do both in Bangkok. I have 40,000 BHt monthly income from the business and my wife also has 20,000 + . dcan I get the visa change and apply for work permit in Bangkok. If yes what documents do I need to take and produce. If no, what are the alternatives I have abou 45 days left on my 60 day exstension

I have a 60 tourist visa issued in Cambodia. I have had that Visa exstended for 30 days at Chiang mai Immigration. I have then had an additional exstension of 60 days on the bases that I am married to a Thai lady. I own a lease on a Guest house and my wife runs the guest house. I now want to convet to a NON Imigeration Visa and apply for work permit. I have been informed by Chiang mai immigration that I can do both in Bangkok. I have 40,000 BHt monthly income from the business and my wife also has 20,000 + . dcan I get the visa change and apply for work permit in Bangkok. If yes what documents do I need to take and produce. If no, what are the alternatives I have abou 45 days left on my 60 day exstension

You have to apply with up to 21 days left on your current stay.

You are not the first to report that Chiang Mai will not do this. I don't understand why.

You need 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR 40,000 Baht monthly income. It has to be your money or income. Not your Wife's.

You will need this form

You don't have to go to Bangkok for the work permit that can be done at the labor office in CM. If the business meets the requirements you should be able to get the work permit applied for with the extension you are on now if it says it is for marriage.

Also Bangkok immigration would send you back to CM there have been many reports of them sending people back to their local office.

It seems immigration in Chiang Mai does not want to do a change of visa status. Yours is not the first report of this run around they are telling people to do.

The best thing you can do now is to make a trip to Vientiane or a any nearby consulate and get a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage. Then get the work permit pay taxes to show your income and apply for a 1 year extension based upon marriage. Your wifes income cannot be used to get the extension.

See 2.18 of the new police order for info: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

I sure wish I'd known to do that when I was there last month!!
I assume you mean the non-o.

A lot of people are not aware that it is easy to get a single non-o for marriage. Just show the marriage certificate and give them a copy.

It's even easy to get one for being 50 or over and some reports of Vientiane giving them if you were going to be 50 within the visa period.

You don't have to go to Bangkok for the work permit that can be done at the labor office in CM. If the business meets the requirements you should be able to get the work permit applied for with the extension you are on now if it says it is for marriage.

Also Bangkok immigration would send you back to CM there have been many reports of them sending people back to their local office.

It seems immigration in Chiang Mai does not want to do a change of visa status. Yours is not the first report of this run around they are telling people to do.

The best thing you can do now is to make a trip to Vientiane or a any nearby consulate and get a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage. Then get the work permit pay taxes to show your income and apply for a 1 year extension based upon marriage. Your wifes income cannot be used to get the extension.

See 2.18 of the new police order for info: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

Ok Thanks, a lot, I have downloaded the doc. So what exactly are the requirements the business needs to meet? Originaly I started the business of, as a limited company with a 2,000,000 paid share capital. That is the money that I invested in the building and company. But through negotiation with lawyers we disolved the company and now the business in run in my wifes name. We run the business together though I do not actually work myself. What must be produced? for Non Immigration O and application for work permit. I note: on the back of the 2.18 of the police order. that the income figure is 50,000 and not 40,000 as from November 2008 is that correct? Thank you for your advise to date

Ok Thanks, a lot, I have downloaded the doc. So what exactly are the requirements the business needs to meet? Originaly I started the business of, as a limited company with a 2,000,000 paid share capital. That is the money that I invested in the building and company. But through negotiation with lawyers we disolved the company and now the business in run in my wifes name. We run the business together though I do not actually work myself. What must be produced? for Non Immigration O and application for work permit. I note: on the back of the 2.18 of the police order. that the income figure is 50,000 and not 40,000 as from November 2008 is that correct? Thank you for your advise to date
The 50,000 figure only applies if you are getting an extension based upon employment/work. The only reason you need to show the work permit for an extension based upon marriage is to show how you are earning the money if you use tax receipts. If money in the bank it would not be required or if it was income proven by a letter from your consulate.

You should talk to your lawyer about the work permit. As a business and married to a Thai the company income requirements are cut in half along with the number of employees (2 verses 4) to get a work permit. You or your wife could also go the labour department and inquire yourself. The rules seem to vary from office to office.

You need 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR 40,000 Baht monthly income. It has to be your money or income. Not your Wife's.

Are you sure of this???..................i thought it could be your OR your wifes income

Since Nov. 25 when the new police order came out the wifes income or a combination of the two is not allowed. At the same time they brought back the 400K in the bank for 60 days option.

Are you sure of this???..................i thought it could be your OR your wifes income

Yes sure. This is the rule.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I have a 60 tourist visa issued in Cambodia. I have had that Visa exstended for 30 days at Chiang mai Immigration. I have then had an additional exstension of 60 days on the bases that I am married to a Thai lady. I own a lease on a Guest house and my wife runs the guest house. I now want to convet to a NON Imigeration Visa and apply for work permit. I have been informed by Chiang mai immigration that I can do both in Bangkok. I have 40,000 BHt monthly income from the business

silly question>>>? If he 'declares' he has 40K Income in Thailand, while on a Tourist visa, could he be incriminating himself?

I have a 60 tourist visa issued in Cambodia. I have had that Visa exstended for 30 days at Chiang mai Immigration. I have then had an additional exstension of 60 days on the bases that I am married to a Thai lady. I own a lease on a Guest house and my wife runs the guest house. I now want to convet to a NON Imigeration Visa and apply for work permit. I have been informed by Chiang mai immigration that I can do both in Bangkok. I have 40,000 BHt monthly income from the business

silly question>>>? If he 'declares' he has 40K Income in Thailand, while on a Tourist visa, could he be incriminating himself?

Not such a silly question. Question are normally asked by people who don't know the answer. and look at the replies in this forum, the answers are different. The 40,000 I have been paying into the bank is my own money. not money earned. I was advised to do this for 2 months before appling by a Thai lawyer. A big firm we all know. Unfortunatley in Thialand one can never be sure about the advise given by a lawyer as being correct. That is why I asked the qustion.

The 50,000 figure only applies if you are getting an extension based upon employment/work. The only reason you need to show the work permit for an extension based upon marriage is to show how you are earning the money if you use tax receipts. If money in the bank it would not be required or if it was income proven by a letter from your consulate.

You should talk to your lawyer about the work permit. As a business and married to a Thai the company income requirements are cut in half along with the number of employees (2 verses 4) to get a work permit. You or your wife could also go the labour department and inquire yourself. The rules seem to vary from office to office.

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful

Britania. To get the 12 month marriage extension you need to show 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 monthly income. Payments into your bank will not do for income.

To prove the income earned in Thailand you will need Tax Payment receipts and a Work Permit and business documents.

Up to now you have been on a Tourist Visa so this would not be possible.