Looking For A Small Business To Buy

Hi,

Im looking to buy a small business to purchase for my girlfriend to manage or both of us. Im thinking that a salon could be option as she works in one at the moment but im open to other options.

My question is does anyone know of any small businesses for sale in the Pattaya area that isnt advertised on the internet, because i know alot of people dont really advertise small businesses and rather sell word of mouth before having to advertise on the net.

Im not really looking to spend over 500,000bht but if something worth while was to come up, it would definitely be considered.

P.S im not intrested in getting a bar

I think you are asking the wrong folks...

Small businesses, especially in the start up stage take a lot of work. The only way it will be successful is if your girlfriend is passionate about it and really wants to put in the time and effort into making sure it works.

If you just buy something that is available, I think the chances are much higher that it won't work out.

I would recomend asking her what she wants to do and then focus on that. Whether in means opening a new one or buying an existing one, but I would guess that opening her own would be better than trying to purchase an existing business.

There are plenty of small businesses that can be started for under 500,000 THB.

Wish you the best of luck.

I would strongly suggest that you obtain and read the book “How to Establish a Successful Business in Thailand” by Philip Wylie, Paiboon Publishing, 2007.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that "it's only 500,000 baht" - this is just the start of it ... and if you choose badly then it is going to cost you a lot more than that before you can extricate yourself.

One of the good things about this book is that it provides some hints on what to look out for when buying someone else's business, other than the obvious accounts paperwork (which can be dodgy anyway)

I would strongly suggest that you obtain and read the book "How to Establish a Successful Business in Thailand" by Philip Wylie, Paiboon Publishing, 2007.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that "it's only 500,000 baht" - this is just the start of it ... and if you choose badly then it is going to cost you a lot more than that before you can extricate yourself.

One of the good things about this book is that it provides some hints on what to look out for when buying someone else's business, other than the obvious accounts paperwork (which can be dodgy anyway)

Thanks i'll check it out

Surely your gf would be able to help you? If she works in a salon in pattaya im sure she knows the area????????

This is actually a good comment. Of course if she is looking too then great. But if you are doing on all the leg work then double think this deal as if she is not contributing to the search... forget it as it is a portend for the future. Good luck!

TheWalkingMan

All i can say is my Ex Gf had 2 salons in good busy areas and both never made more than 10,000bt a month and that was before bills sometimes and as for the problems with staff coming and going i dont want to go into it ,bassically a waste of time .

My Thai laywer and good friend in Koh Samui once told me nobody in there right mind would sell a profitable business in Thailand as they are hard to come buy and why would then they sell when they can rent out or lease it , at the time i thought surely she was wrong and there must be some people looking to sell a decent business and maybe move onto a larger project or whatever , but i can safely say after 1 year of searching every type of business i can think off i am still to find one !

if you take a drive around Pattaya you will see salons everywhere , and every new block of shop houses being finished is likely to have more new ones often side by side .

Anyway just my experience and good luck to you .

I would strongly suggest that you obtain and read the book "How to Establish a Successful Business in Thailand" by Philip Wylie, Paiboon Publishing, 2007.

I will be searching hi and low for it tomorow as i am about to give up on Thailand and head for Australia !

I will be searching hi and low for it tomorow as i am about to give up on Thailand and head for Australia !

You may want to consider Cambodia.Aside from much easier visas here and no border running,the opportunities for foreign small biz seem better than LOS. I'm no expert,but just what I'm hearing and reading. Good luck

Mel

You may want to consider Cambodia.Aside from much easier visas here and no border running,the opportunities for foreign small biz seem better than LOS. I'm no expert,but just what I'm hearing and reading. Good luck

Mel

Hmmmm , yes i have been hearing the same for quiet some time , only problem is i know nothing about Cambodia at all , but i will have free time for travel next month ,any tips on where to go and have a look around ?

Mel

Hmmmm , yes i have been hearing the same for quiet some time , only problem is i know nothing about Cambodia at all , but i will have free time for travel next month ,any tips on where to go and have a look around ?

:o

Yup. When in Cambodia, take a ride down to the beach at Sihanoukville. Lots of farangs, lots of women, lots of fun AND a foreigner can own, operate AND WORK in his/her own business!! Rents there are cheaper, too.

Check it out, Dude! From Pattaya, you go to the airport in BKK, fly 1 hr. 10 min. to Phnom Penh (AirAsia is app. 5,500 baht) and then get the bus (US$15), or a taxi (US$45-75) for the 3-4 hour ride down to S-ville. OR, you can go by bus from here to there. It's cheaper and takes longer, but I haven't gone that way, so I can not advise you... Good Luck!!

:D