Opening A Bank Account In Thailand

hasher69

I have 3 bank accounts with Siam Commercial Bank. I opened them soimply by showing them my passport.

I got an account with passbook ad Debit card same day.

Recently I went to open another account with SCB in Petchaburi, I was told by a rather gruff woman that I had to have a work permit.

So today I went to another SCB bank and asked them and they said that it is a new regulation, that Farangs cannot open up an

account without a work permit unless thay own a house !!! Unbelievable

Renting a house is not good enough! (Nor isstaying in a hotel)

Has anyone else come across this, and is it really true?

Hasher 69

Lots of threads about this over the years. There have always been people saying this or that bank won't open an accout for them, but another bank would.

If it was true, where would a person thinking about retiring here put their money to comply with immigration guidelines?

Most labor offices won't give them a WP, plus most retirees don't want to work anyway. They want to retire.

I have 3 bank accounts with Siam Commercial Bank. I opened them soimply by showing them my passport.

Recently I went to open another account with SCB in Petchaburi, I was told by a rather gruff woman that I had to have a work permit.

So today I went to another SCB bank and asked them and they said that it is a new regulation, that Farangs cannot open up an

Hasher 69

Why do you want 4 accounts with the SCB?

Agreed, Brit. Kasikorn, that's the ticket.

I opened a Kasikorn account in June, with only a multiple entrance Visa, and an address from relatives, I deposit only 10 000 Baht got an ATM card and opened an Cyber account(internetbanking it took about 20 minutes to arrange it.

Lots of threads about this over the years. There have always been people saying this or that bank won't open an accout for them, but another bank would.

If it was true, where would a person thinking about retiring here put their money to comply with immigration guidelines?

Most labor offices won't give them a WP, plus most retirees don't want to work anyway. They want to retire.

It's against the law to work if you're living in Thailand on a retirement extension.

Opened an account for a tourist friend yesterday at SCB. No problem. Always approach with a positive attitude and thoughts, trust your higher power and let go of the results. I've seen more negative people approach Thais demanding things then get frustrated that they didn't get what they wanted. You will receive abundance, all in good time. Be patient and flexible.

I use Kasikorn

Other than the people working there seem to be very daft, they did allow me to open an account without any issues.

I found the Kasikorn bank employees to be pretty clueless, and the local manager even more so :-( But they did open a joint a/c for me and my wife with no problem. But they wouldn't open an a/c for just me - period. Went to the local Bangkok Bank office, and despite showing them my passport with retirement visa AND my yellow book, they refused to open an a/c for just me. My wife phoned her cousin, a manager or VP or something at their home office, and boy weren't they nice to me after the cousin phoned them back and chewed them out.

Opened an account for a tourist friend yesterday at SCB. No problem. Always approach with a positive attitude and thoughts, trust your higher power and let go of the results. I've seen more negative people approach Thais demanding things then get frustrated that they didn't get what they wanted. You will receive abundance, all in good time. Be patient and flexible.

now that is very good advice.

sometimes with thai things i have found it depends who you talk to on the day,but the above advice will get anyone alot further than confrontation.

I opened an account with Kaiskorn a couple of months ago. I only needed my passport and the address of our hotel. We actually went there to open an account in my wife's (Thai) name but were unable to do so they suggested we open it in my name. It only took around 15 mins including being issued and ATM card.

I found the staff friendly, helpful and knowledgeable of their products. Since we returned to Australia I have been in contact with them several times for to set up various things and had a similarly positive experience each time.

• 4 weeks later...

I opened a Kasikorn account in June, with only a multiple entrance Visa, and an address from relatives, I deposit only 10 000 Baht got an ATM card and opened an Cyber account(internetbanking it took about 20 minutes to arrange it.

Cyber account? what is that? I am retired in thailand and have only a debit card here. this card does not work online and I am looking for a way I can purchase online. Is cyber account the way? whats the solution?

thanks

Cyber account? what is that? I am retired in thailand and have only a debit card here. this card does not work online and I am looking for a way I can purchase online. Is cyber account the way? whats the solution?

thanks

Kasikorn Internet Banking. When you have this you can apply online for a Web Shopping Debit Card. You do not get an actual card but a virtual one. You get the card number online with which you can pay for items online the same as you would with a proper card.Info. here.Shopping Card

I opened up my latest account, my third a few days ago, with Bkk Bank in my hometown of Phetburi and they only asked for a copy of my passport (i got a work permit). It seems that you have to fish around. Asking for a work pemit is years old, scraping through regulations from yesteryear.

Hasher 69

Why do you want 4 accounts with the SCB?

Quite handy to have an account in a few cities you live in, spread the cash around and it saves on withdrawal fees too if you're staying in a city for any length of time :o

Some of the small branches haven't heard that farangs can open banks so they just assume it.

Just opened a bank account recently in Hua Hin, no probs, didn't have a WP :D