2yr Old Son Coming To Thailand, Visa Advice Please

geotek

I will be coming to Thailand soon for 3 months, on a non-imm'o'visa, with my Thai wife and our 2 year old son. He was born in Thailand, but to cut a long story short, we never had the time to get him his Thai citizenship or Thai passport (his mum and hence him are actually Akah hilltribe to the Thai authorities, her Thai ID was sorted,

but his would have taken a long time and we came back to uk before it could get sorted).

He has a British passport, but we plan to get him his Thai ID and Thai passport when we come back this trip.

Im writing to ask advice on the following, as im unsure what is best to do:

do i have to get him a non-imm'o' visa if he comes (or does he not have to, as my dependant or because of his age)

OR

can he get the 1 month tourist visa stamp on arrival in Thailand in his British passport, and then leave Thailand with his Thai passport (but then, does this mean he will officially be overstaying on his British passport/in their computer system).

Regarding the 3month non-imm 'o' visa, will i have to do a border run after 2months, and if my son has one, does he have to come with me or can i just take his passport (will be a nightmare taking him on the bus for 5hours as he is so restless) ?

Thanks so much for your time, advice, and help, in advance

A child needs a visa of his own, so yes he will also need a non-immigrant visa.

You cannot come in on an UK passport and leave on a Thai passport, as the immigration administration will be messed up. For administration purposes he would not have left Thailand as he comes in with UK and leaves with a Thai passport.

You could apply for a Thai passport at the Thai embassy, it would take about 2 weeks to get a passport with his birthcertificate if his mother was is a Thai national at time of his birth. Look at the Thai embassy website for more details: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/e_passport_en.html

I will be coming to Thailand soon for 3 months, on a non-imm'o'visa, with my Thai wife and our 2 year old son. He was born in Thailand, but to cut a long story short, we never had the time to get him his Thai citizenship or Thai passport (his mum and hence him are actually Akah hilltribe to the Thai authorities, her Thai ID was sorted,

but his would have taken a long time and we came back to uk before it could get sorted).

He has a British passport, but we plan to get him his Thai ID and Thai passport when we come back this trip.

Im writing to ask advice on the following, as im unsure what is best to do:

do i have to get him a non-imm'o' visa if he comes (or does he not have to, as my dependant or because of his age)

OR

can he get the 1 month tourist visa stamp on arrival in Thailand in his British passport, and then leave Thailand with his Thai passport (but then, does this mean he will officially be overstaying on his British passport/in their computer system).

Regarding the 3month non-imm 'o' visa, will i have to do a border run after 2months, and if my son has one, does he have to come with me or can i just take his passport (will be a nightmare taking him on the bus for 5hours as he is so restless) ?

Thanks so much for your time, advice, and help, in advance

The mum has a Thai ID card...so she is Thai. When the child was born, was a Thai birth certificate issued? If so, does it say his nationality is Thai? If so, apply for the passport at the embassy in London, and enter into Thailand on that. He won't be able to get an ID until he is 15. He will only be allowed onto the housebook.

Thx for the replies Mario and Samran, i know where i stand now .

Samran, my son does have a Thai birth certificate, but under nationality it says 'Akah' as my wife's Thai ID hadnt arrived (she'd been waiting over 2 years). We tried to register him as a thai citizen in her district office, but they said it would take months to finalize, so we filled in the paperwork and left thailand. We will hopefully be able to sort it when we come back, and then get him a thai passport for future travel in and out of thailand.

Any idea if i will have to do a border run after 2months, for my 3month non-imm 'o' visa, and if my son will have to come (or could i just take his passport)?

thx again