How Is Ao Nang?

raybird

:o

Indeed appalling news and I hope that life will return to normal with the greatest possible speed. May the peoples of the affected countries in the Orient find the courage to face this terrible tragedy.

Can anyone in Ao Nang tell me how much damage was done, as we would like to go ahead with our holiday from 26th January and support the local economy. We have a booking in a hotel which is undamaged and running normally, but I would like to know whether it is safe to use the beaches, and whether the beach-front shops and restaurants are likely to function with reasonably normality in the weeks to come.

I'm back in the UK now and still trying to find out from friends what's happened. All say the same thing - Last Fisherman's Bar has completely disappeared, other than that, loads of damage, still being assessed.

I was drinking at the last fisherman the other day - they only lost 2-3 tables - everything else running as per usual. VERY LITTLE damage to Ao Nang - alot oflongtails lost but its back to 'normal' we need tourists!!!!

Edited by mr_lob

Indeed appalling news and I hope that life will return to normal with the greatest possible speed. May the peoples of the affected countries in the Orient find the courage to face this terrible tragedy. 

Can anyone in Ao Nang tell me how much damage was done, as we would like to go ahead with our holiday from 26th January and support the local economy. We have a booking in a hotel which is undamaged and running normally, but I would like to know whether it is safe to use the beaches, and whether the beach-front shops and restaurants are likely to function with reasonably normality in the weeks to come.

please come as planned - WE NEED TOURISTS!! everything running as normal. have a great holiday

Hello Mr_Lob, and thank you for writing. Do you live in Ao Nang permanently?

Yes, we are going ahead with our visit and will even try to extend our stay by a week. What about the restaurants at the northern end of Ao Nang? Did the wall protect them enough?

Finally, I know that the Phranang Inn suffered some damage on the Coconut Wing side (south). Do you happen to know if their guide, Suleiman, is OK.

Many thanks. :o

Hi Raybird,

there is an interesting site with the latest news from Ao-Nang and Krabi (www.yourkrabi.com/flyer/your_krabi_earthquake_update.shtml). The Last Fisherman Bar is open and the Last Cafe is planning to re-open shortly. There is/was a small damage on the Coconut Wind side what concerns the Phranang Inn. All restaurant and shops where not affected by the waves....thanks to the wall.

We do look forward to welcome guests like you because right now Ao-Nang is deserted!

Just arrived in Ao Nang. First signs are that things are OK. Certainly our hotel - the Cliff Resort - is fine and really wants its clients to come. We've been down to the beach front and everything looks totally normal - like nothing has happened here at all. We too were unsure whether to come and reading this string on the website helped us to make up our minds and we're glad we did. Our sympathies to everyone who has been affected.

If you really want to help out the locals, the best thing to do is to carry on booking holidays here. Tourists had cancelled bookings at the last hotel we stayed in outside Chiang Mai - so either they were tied into an itinerary that included a resort that was affected or they didn't pay attention in geography class.

We really hope that Thailand doesn't suffer any more than it has done already by losing tourist dollars - the locals are bending over backwards to make everything normal and it's heartbreaking that their efforts are going unnoticed.

Hi Raybird,

there is an interesting site with the latest news from Ao-Nang and Krabi (www.yourkrabi.com/flyer/your_krabi_earthquake_update.shtml). The Last Fisherman Bar is open and the Last Cafe is planning to re-open shortly. There is/was a small damage on the Coconut Wind side what concerns the Phranang Inn. All restaurant and shops where not affected by the waves....thanks to the wall.

We do look forward to welcome guests like you because right now Ao-Nang is deserted!

Hi Raybird,

Hi Raybird,

Hi Toby & Viv,

Thank you for this encouraging news. We will be there in a few weeks. Have an excellent holiday and may the Thai people find the courage to keep going after this appalling disaster.

PS The site that Soong mentions is quite excellent.