Fake Banknote Problem Begins To Ease

george

Fake banknote problem begins to ease, says BoT

BANGKOK: -- The number of counterfeit 1,000 baht banknotes in circulation has begun to decline in the post-New Year period in part because consumers are more careful in checking the banknotes before getting them, according to the Bank of Thailand (BoT).

Jittima Duriyapraphan, senior director of BoT's Banknote Management Department, said the rampant appearance of the fake banknotes throughout the economic system had eased as more people learned how to check the banknotes.

At the same time, police have arrested several producers of counterfeit banknotes, reducing the flow of the artificial currency in the market.

While the volume of fake banknotes circulating in the market has dropped considerably, the authorities could not say how many counterfeits remain.

Mrs. Jittima said complaints about the spread of the counterfeit notes to the BoT had decreased significantly as well.

However, police and central bank officials would continue to hunt for producers of the counterfeit banknotes and sources of production, she added.

-- TNA 2009-01-20

I saw one of these fake note pinned to a notice board today in a mini mart type of place.

You would have to be a complete fcukwit to accept the fake as even from 5 yards away you can tell it is not real.

Always get an interesting look when I start checking the change they give me.

I saw one of these fake note pinned to a notice board today in a mini mart type of place.

You would have to be a complete fcukwit to accept the fake as even from 5 yards away you can tell it is not real.

Did you think that before or after taking it! :o

Did you think that before or after taking it! :o

:D Yeah...i always check the change I get out of my 2,000 baht note. Can't be too careful eh?

Why would you get a 1000 Baht note in your change? 1000 Baht notes are the highest and therefore you should only be getting them as payment or from a Bank/ATM.

Mindless chatter removed. .. .. even from 5 yards away you can tell it is not real.

You must have seen a piss poor copy cranked out on an old Xerox machine.

The big grocery store near my apartment had a few of the counterfeit 1000 baht bills which the customer service girls were examining.

Other than the paper feeling slightly different, (but only marginally so) and the serial numbers being the same; the bills were really high quality copies; water marked, foil strips, everything. The only difference was when they held a black light over the fake ones they didn't fluoresce.

The thai counterfeit bills are no where near the quality of the $100 US - Super Notes churned out by North Korea, but the fake 1000 baht ones I've seen would certainly pass as real, even with fairly close scrutiny.

(edited for sa-pelling)

Edited by tod-daniels

Why would you get a 1000 Baht note in your change? 1000 Baht notes are the highest and therefore you should only be getting them as payment or from a Bank/ATM.

2000 baht note counterfeits are almost undetectable to the untrained eye! ,

Mindless chatter removed. .. .. even from 5 yards away you can tell it is not real.

The big grocery store near my apartment had a few of the counterfeit 1000 baht bills which the customer service girls were examining.

Other than the paper feeling slightly different, (but only marginally so) and the serial numbers being the same; the bills were really high quality copies; water marked, foil strips, everything. The only difference was when they held a black light over the fake ones they didn't fluoresce.

The thai counterfeit bills are no where near the quality of the $100 US - Super Notes churned out by North Korea, but the fake 1000 baht ones I've seen would certainly pass as real, even with fairly close scrutiny.

(edited for sa-pelling)

Without the "mindless chatter" nobody would have known what I was on about. Sorry to have offended your obviously higher intellect. Get back to your students, I am sure they are missing you.

Edited by cymruambyth1

:o I give up sometimes. Google "irony" or "sarcasm".

Have a nice day

Edited by cymruambyth1

even from 5 yards away you can tell it is not real.

What makes you think mini mart staff would pin-up a quality fake instead of trying to spend it somewhere? :o

Coming from a smoking monkey, that's a good point!

(edited for sa-pelling)

Black light? :D

Does it come from black hole? :o

Hope it's not beginning to ease because the notes are getting better. It's not like the bad guys are going to just give up and say "printing money isn't worth it."

:o

yeah and since this is thailand there is like a 90% chance that the bad guys won't catch themselves either.

Seriously, does anyone know what one should do if one should come into possession of a fake note? In the US, I think you can take such a bill to a bank and exchange it for genuine one. ( I am sure there is some paperwork involved and obviously one could not make a career of it.) I think also any of the regional Federal Reserve Banks (and possible Treasury offices) would be interested in receiving (and exchanging) such counterfeit currency.

In Thailand, what does one do? Take it to a bank or the Bank of Thailand for exchange, try to pass it to get rid of it, or just take your loss and destroy it? Also, if one doesn't know a note is fake and tries to use it, what, if any, criminal liabiity attaches in such a situation?

Seriously, does anyone know what one should do if one should come into possession of a fake note? In the US, I think you can take such a bill to a bank and exchange it for genuine one. ( I am sure there is some paperwork involved and obviously one could not make a career of it.) I think also any of the regional Federal Reserve Banks (and possible Treasury offices) would be interested in receiving (and exchanging) such counterfeit currency.

In Thailand, what does one do? Take it to a bank or the Bank of Thailand for exchange, try to pass it to get rid of it, or just take your loss and destroy it? Also, if one doesn't know a note is fake and tries to use it, what, if any, criminal liabiity attaches in such a situation?

if they are exchanging it in the usa its so they can get your name on record. i could be wrong, but i think i heard once if you are caught with multiple fake bills its grounds for the feds to search your house, seize your computers, etc.

if this type of thing happened in the usa, you would expect a pretty full on investigation. i doubt the Thai police have the resources, or motivation to pursue such a response. plus, doesn't it seem like all crime in thailand somehow involves the police either directly or through bribes? tit.