Problem With Laptop.

monsieurhappy

Hi,

I've just received a phone call from my friend in Nakhon Pathom, a bit vague, but wonder if anyone can throw any light on the problem?

He as just opened up his laptop after about a week and received a message from MSN to say there're some updates to download. ( 5 I think he said ) It also said that he could carry on working whilst the data was downloaded.

Now I don't know if it completed the download or not, but at some point switched off and will not let him in again. He says that if he closes the lid, the stand-by light stays on, but when he trys to open the computer - Nothing. Even when connected to the mains.

I've just asked him if he has downloaded Service pack 2 and he says no. Also he is running AVG anti-virus, and they have just brought out a new version of the freeware - he hasn't to his knowledge downloaded this either.

OK, I did say it's a bit vague, but is there any new virus out there that could have caused this problem? I personally think it could be hardware, but I'm no expert and don't know anything about laptops anyway.

I run Win XP Home and have SP 2 installed without any problems ( I think ) on my PC., I also have the new version of AGV running, again without problems, so I'm not much help to him. If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas we would be very grateful, but please speak in laymans terms as we can't get to grips with this so called Geek Talk. Much obliged, MonsH.

If miracles happen and he can get the computer to start up, you might suggest that he do a "System Restore". This restores your computer to am earlier point and is helpful if you have installed something infectious or hazardous to your system. You find this in Accessories - System Tools - System Tools. I believe this is only an option with Windows XP. If it starts up, but Windows is crippled, boot the computer up in safe mode. Here's how:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...src=sec_doc_nam

I've seen this happen before on an Acer notebook.  The fix was to take out the battery (with the power unplugged) and put it back in.

Look's like you were spot on with your diagnosis Firefoxx, Thanks. Seems like his computer had gone into sleep mode but hitting a key did not want to wake it up. Anyway, many thanks and Happy New Year - Sawadee pe mai to you. MonsH