Skiing In Korea

I'm hoping to hear back from anyone who has any experience of skiing in Korea.

I'd be traveling from Thailand and wish to go somewhere as close as possible for a quick +/- 5 day trip.

I've recently come back from the Alps and don't expect Korea to be up to that standard, however I've read that Muju resort is a decent enough alternative.

I've read through the web sites etc and have some base information and now I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with their own experiences, travel, costs, accommodation etc

Thanks....

I'd be traveling from Thailand and wish to go somewhere as close as possible for a quick +/- 5 day trip.

I've recently come back from the Alps and don't expect Korea to be up to that standard, however I've read that Muju resort is a decent enough alternative.

I've read through the web sites etc and have some base information and now I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with their own experiences, travel, costs, accommodation etc

Thanks....

www.koreanvisa.com

Thanks....

www.koreanvisa.com

Thanks, that website was not of much use however.

"I've read through the web sites etc and have some base information and now I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with their own experiences"...

(Shameless bump)

been just once for a weekend, the resort was called vivaldi park. Im not a particularly experienced skiier but this place wouldnt hold your interest more than just for a couple of days - prices are fairly cheap, but i wouldnt go out your way for skiing in Korea .. its good if you live here , but to make a special trip, in my limited experience id advise against.

been just once for a weekend, the resort was called vivaldi park. Im not a particularly experienced skiier but this place wouldnt hold your interest more than just for a couple of days - prices are fairly cheap, but i wouldnt go out your way for skiing in Korea .. its good if you live here , but to make a special trip, in my limited experience id advise against.

One of the guys here went to Vivaldi park last weekend. He is an experienced skier and he was less than impressed, more time queuing than skiing was the impression I got. Although we've had some cold weather there's not been much snow and the past week has been very mild. So any snow is going to be atrificial slopes and popular as hel_l (i.e. queues).

One of the guys here went to Vivaldi park last weekend. He is an experienced skier and he was less than impressed, more time queuing than skiing was the impression I got. Although we've had some cold weather there's not been much snow and the past week has been very mild. So any snow is going to be atrificial slopes and popular as hel_l (i.e. queues).

queues wernt a problem last chinese new year (very popular time) apart from on the beginner slopes - most koreans who ski are not very good!

I returned from a weeks skiing in South Korea only yesterday, we skied in Yong Pyong which is about 3 hours from Seoul.

The resort was fine and there was some good skiing, not too many challenging slopes but there were a number of good long runs. We stayed at the Dragon hotel and we thought it was fine. Whilst the breakfast in the hotel set up up for the day we felt that the other meals were a bit restrictive and mainly Korean, not really surprising, and not really to our taste. Evening meals cost in the region of 2,000 Baht for the two of us, including a couple of beers, so not really overpriced for a ski resort. There was also a condo resort on site but that seemed to be full of Korean school kids and a bit noisy. There were a couple of fast food places, burgers and pizza, but I did miss the apres ski bars that I was used to in Europe.

The slopes are open during the day from about 08.00 until 16.30, and again in the evenings and night time sessions until either 01.00 or 02.00, not sure which, and the slopes are flood light. A lot of people come for the day so the queues were longer in the afternoon than the morning, though we never queued for longer than a couple of minutes, even for the gondolier to the top slope. The slopes were well maintained and whilst it didn't snow during our stay the snow cannons were used to keep the slopes in good condition. It was really cold, -17C on Friday, and the biting wing really got to me.

On the whole we enjoyed our trip, and would certainly return.

We booked with www.winterfriend.com, who were fine, and you might feel the web cam of the resort interesting http://www.yongpyong.co.kr/guide/webcam.asp