Thai Airways Is Screwing Aussie Kids

philipp

Normally when you book flights for children below the age of 12, they get a 25% discount on the adult fare. For the Thai Airways promotion to Melbourne (THB 17,800) there is no child discount. I can understand that. The fare is already quite cheap. However, Thai Airways is charging my son the same taxes as me! Everyone knows that in Australia, children below the age of 12 are exempt from the international departure tax. So Thai Airways is collecting the tax from me but they don't have to the the Australian authorities! This is illegal!

So what can I do? Of course I tried to talk to Thai Airways but as you might have guessed, I didn't get anywhere. Anyone knows if there is a consumer protection board in Australia I can contact?

Normally when you book flights for children below the age of 12, they get a 25% discount on the adult fare. For the Thai Airways promotion to Melbourne (THB 17,800) there is no child discount. I can understand that. The fare is already quite cheap. However, Thai Airways is charging my son the same taxes as me! Everyone knows that in Australia, children below the age of 12 are exempt from the international departure tax. So Thai Airways is collecting the tax from me but they don't have to the the Australian authorities! This is illegal!

So what can I do? Of course I tried to talk to Thai Airways but as you might have guessed, I didn't get anywhere. Anyone knows if there is a consumer protection board in Australia I can contact?

send a letter to the bk post letter section

Find the relevant branch of the Australian Better Business Bureau and file a complaint and forward it Thai airways office in Australia.

May want to send a segment into your local Ozzie paper also.

They can get away with ripping us off all day long here in Thailand , but don't let them pull that shitt back home

These are Australian rules for tickets bought and travelling from Australia? From your post you are buying the tickets in Thailand and travelling from Thailand. Perhaps these rules are just country specific as I never heard about these tax rules from other countries before.

As far as discounted tickets for children, I always thought it was 50% ages 2 - 11, but not off the discounted fare.

However, Thai Airways is charging my son the same taxes as me! Everyone knows that in Australia, children below the age of 12 are exempt from the international departure tax. So Thai Airways is collecting the tax from me but they don't have to (pay to) the Australian authorities! This is illegal!

What you're trying to say is that Thai Airways have charged your son under 12 a "ghost" tax that they are not suppose to pay to the Australian authorities because there's no such departing tax.

Can't you download the specific paragraph of that exception of tax from an Australian goverment office and send it to Thai Airways? It'll benefit others in your case and would make flying to Thailand from Australia a little cheaper for children under-12.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yes, when you book the normal fare, children get 25% off the adult fare and pay child taxes, i.e. no departure tax in Australia. When you book the promotion fare, there is no child discount. I get that. But children should not pay adult taxes in this case. Thai Airways is collecting a tax but not forwarding it to the authorities in Australia. To me, that's stealing.

I have downloaded the relevant Act and sent it to Thai Airways. It explicitly says that children under the age of 12 are exempt. But my hopes are low. Some Thai Airways customer service rep is not going to understand a piece of Australian law.

Yes, maybe wrting to Bangkok Post might help. Thanks!

Report it to the ACCC, but make sure you can provide evidence of Thai airways conduct as well as correspondence. If they can't help you, they should direct you to a body that can. ACCC will want to know how you tried to resolve it at the start, but I would expect they would be very interested in what you say is correct. One way to argue it to the ACCC is that the Thai are misleading the public in believing that the surcharges are paid to the Government. If Thai are doing the wrong thin gand the ACCC get their teeth into them, I bet Thai wished they had quietly credited you the difference.