Tell Me About Cm.

NorThai

We are still thinking about moving to CM, we have also consider Kanchanaburi, and still open for that if we have some good offer.

But tell me why you stay in CM, and not in Koh Samui or some other place?

What is it that make you stay? Nightlife? Cheep? Nature? Whether?

Please. convince me to come and stay CM :o

We are still thinking about moving to CM, we have also consider Kanchanaburi, and still open for that if we have some good offer.

read all the thaivisa topics . thailand is not for everyone. you can enjoy it here but you can never integrate with the thais , you will always be a farang - foreigner and be treated differently. it is not as cheap as the thai hospitality agencies suggest. costs in TOTAL are same as uk, somethings are cheaper but overall not

read all the thaivisa topics . thailand is not for everyone. you can enjoy it here but you can never integrate with the thais , you will always be a farang - foreigner and be treated differently. it is not as cheap as the thai hospitality agencies suggest. costs in TOTAL are same as uk, somethings are cheaper but overall not

It appears to me dinthailand that you are either blind or totally misinformed.

In respect of "costs" it all depends on what level of "living" you want or are prepared to settle for.

If you want to buy a car they are much more expensive anywhere in Thailand (when comparing like models etc) If you don't drive (and just use song taews or taxis) this works out much cheaper but without the convenience of just going out and jumping in the car. And servicing and labour costs on maintaining a car are much (very much) lower here in the realm. And it is one area that they do well :D

If you want cheap food (Baht 40-50 buffet meals) you won't get cheaper in "farang land" If you want to eat at the Holiday Inn 3-4 times a week that will push it up.

Farang food (steak, cheeses, Marmite & Vegimite (both 8-10 times more expensive here) ) So if you have a 100% farang diet yes it will cost you.

I agree that it is far and away more expensive than the Thai hospitality agencies would have you believe. TIT

Edited by john b good

Seems a very strange post to me.Are you living hi-so life in Bangkok?????

After my costs of a car/bike/house,i can still live here for less than 200 quid a week,includes,private healthcare,private school etc etc and thats for 3 of us in Pattaya,one of the most expensive parts of Thailand.

Houses---- cheaper

gas------- cheaper

electric----- cheaper

car insurance cheaper

private health care-- cheaper

repairs to car/house cheaper

no community charges

no road tax

cheaper private schooling

i could go on but you get my drift.

As expensive as the UK?????

I recently moved back to the US (late Oct)

My wife and I were making 80k baht /month while living in CM (06-08).

We had a car (00 civic ex)

2 mopeds

4 story town house rented INSIDE the old city

Enough money to do anything, eat anything we wanted, hel_l we RARELY cooked, easily 90%+ of our meals were bought either from a market, vendor, restaurant. and we still had $ left over to save etc.

And honestly, 80k baht isn't exactly at the top end either. considering that rent, insurance, and bills here in the US would far exceed 80k baht a month before even talking about spending $ on food (especially if we ate out as much as we did back in CM!)

But CM is full of pollution and roving samurai gangs and light breaking Shans who want to slit your throat! :scared:

I agree.

This pertains to all of Thailand not only Chiang Mai.

Living expensies increase here in leaps and bounds, month by month.

Anyone considering residing in Thailand long term should realise it`s not as cheap as it used to be. Although the cost of living is probably still lower than in the West, Thailand is certainly no bargain basement and yes, Farangs are expected to pay more than the Thais.

As for the night life in Chiang Mai, this cannot be in anyway compared to that of Bangkok and Phuket.

Many old retired coffin dodgers come to Chiang Mai for retirement than to die, but they don`t, this is why Chiang Mai is like an old peoples home for ex-pats living here. So don`t expect to be invited to any sex, drugs and rock and roll parties.

Anyone considering residing in Thailand long term should realise it`s not as cheap as it used to be. Although the cost of living is probably still lower than in the West, Thailand is certainly no bargain basement and yes, Farangs are expected to pay more than the Thais.

Just to add a factual note. When I came here one year ago £1 was worth 67 baht (at one point). Now it's quoted as £1 = 47.8baht. A drop of nearly 30% !! And I expect it to continue on this path for some time. :o

Why did I choose Chiang Mai over other places in LOS????

Relatively large city, but easy access to nature........20 minutes from city center.

Cheaper rent and food....

Less traffic and layout of city...easy to get around.

Enough falang conveniences, food, etc....but not too much.

Friendly people,

Not too many tourists, once you leave city center....

And no bars and nightlife to tempt me and suck my money and get me into trouble with the wife

just a few of the reasons

Many old retired coffin dodgers come to Chiang Mai for retirement than to die, but they don`t, this is why Chiang Mai is like an old peoples home for ex-pats living here. So don`t expect to be invited to any sex, drugs and rock and roll parties.

That's a bit harsh and disrespectful of elders isn't it? Do you fit into the above category Sassienie, and if not, why are you here? Assuming you still are :o

Aitch

I showed up for my appointment with the medical school professor this morning, and my blood pressure was 160/80. By the time the doctor checked it himself, I was down to 120/62. I explained that I rode through medium traffic between 122 and 85 kph on my sportbike, which raises my BP. As usual, the fee was $7 for an appointment with a top neurologist. It would be $200 back home in Houston :o and I could not have gone that fast in traffic. Call me a coffin dodger, but I just built a new house for the cost of a new Toyota Camry. It is definitely cheaper here, and also less air pollution than Houston, with more honest cops. Also, folks in Neuuw Yawhk and in York, England cannot swim outdoors ten months out of the year. Or pay less than $9 US for an annual pool membership.

WOW... I have to say that I am surprised at some of the comments here... First of all one must understand that no place on earth is perfect... and there is good points and bad points about every location.

As with any country... Thailand is not for everyone. And I don't agree with the comment about the THAI people will never accept you and you will always be a Farang. I have lived in several countries... and it really comes down to how you treat the local people... and if you respect them. I have a lot of Thai friends... they treat me as their own and would do anything for me... because they respect me and I respect them... I treat them the same as I want to be treated and i get the same in return. The Thai people for the most part want to treat you as one of them... but it really depends on the type of person you are and how you treat them... their families... friends... religion... and their KING.

The friends you choose are also an important part of your successful integration in any culture or country. If you act as a farang... you will be treated like one.

I have lived in BANGKOK and PHUKET.... now CHIANG MAI.... there are a lot of reasons that I chose to live here... each place has something different or better than the other... people are a bit different too. I chose CM because it has the right mix for me. I fit in more... and treated more like one of their own.

Just think in your heart about the kind of person you are... and what you want in life... and a place to live... and also think about what your are willing to do to make it work. Nothing is easy :-)

Take your time... the right choice will come to you. Sometimes you also have to TAKE A CHANCE... and try a place... you never know what life will throw your way. Rent a place for 2 weeks and take a look around... meet some locals...

Good luck

Oh BTW, about never integrating?

Pfft, I didn't have any white friends other than those I worked with.

I learned the language, I have a respectable Thai wife, with a respectable job and who is *gasp* almost 4 years older than me!

I have friends from all over the spectrum, a groups of friends who are very high powered police and Government employees, teachers, others are college aged/recent graduates, and I even have a group of motorcycle mechanic friends who helped me put together my bike.

Unless "not integrating" means that you go to clubs that are populated by Thai youth and not farang, going on road trips and being the only farang, eating muu ka that on the side of a road/inside a motorcycle garage, go on bike rides with your "honda chaly gang". Then i guess i never integrated.

Tons of people have made wonderful friends with Thai people and have been treated thus. In my experience, if you make effort to learn the language, learn the customs, and try to integrate, they will do more than just meet you half way. Thai people have made me feel that Thailand is more my home than the US and I am very homesick as I am now living back here. But it's for my and my wife's betterment.

P.S. (my previous comments about the gangs etc are just jests, sometimes it's hard to read humor over a forum)

Black Artemis... well said... the main point both of us are making... is you have to put the effort into making it work... you get out of a relationship what you put into it. And I do agree... Thai's will give more than you give if you try. I feel the same... Thailand is more my home that the USA... I have not lived in America for over 10 years now... no plans of going back.

Maybe you forget to put the :-) Smiley faces next to Gangs :-)

Seems a very strange post to me.Are you living hi-so life in Bangkok?????

After my costs of a car/bike/house,i can still live here for less than 200 quid a week,includes,private healthcare,private school etc etc and thats for 3 of us in Pattaya,one of the most expensive parts of Thailand.

Houses---- cheaper

gas------- cheaper

electric----- cheaper

car insurance cheaper

private health care-- cheaper

repairs to car/house cheaper

no community charges

no road tax

cheaper private schooling

i could go on but you get my drift.

no road tax, car insurance cheaper. you live in cloud cookoo land!"

I agree.

This pertains to all of Thailand not only Chiang Mai.

As for the night life in Chiang Mai, this cannot be in anyway compared to that of Bangkok and Phuket.

blinky bill would disagree with you. he only accepts his own views.

In respect of "costs" it all depends on what level of "living" you want or are prepared to settle for.

If you want to buy a car they are much more expensive anywhere in Thailand (when comparing like models etc) If you don't drive (and just use song taews or taxis) this works out much cheaper but without the convenience of just going out and jumping in the car. And servicing and labour costs on maintaining a car are much (very much) lower here in the realm. And it is one area that they do well :D

If you want cheap food (Baht 40-50 buffet meals) you won't get cheaper in "farang land" If you want to eat at the Holiday Inn 3-4 times a week that will push it up.

Farang food (steak, cheeses, Marmite & Vegimite (both 8-10 times more expensive here) ) So if you have a 100% farang diet yes it will cost you.

I agree that it is far and away more expensive than the Thai hospitality agencies would have you believe. TIT

A good and reasoned post

I showed up for my appointment with the medical school professor this morning, and my blood pressure was 160/80. By the time the doctor checked it himself, I was down to 120/62. I explained that I rode through medium traffic between 122 and 85 kph on my sportbike, which raises my BP. As usual, the fee was $7 for an appointment with a top neurologist. It would be $200 back home in Houston :o and I could not have gone that fast in traffic. Call me a coffin dodger, but I just built a new house for the cost of a new Toyota Camry. It is definitely cheaper here, and also less air pollution than Houston, with more honest cops. Also, folks in Neuuw Yawhk and in York, England cannot swim outdoors ten months out of the year. Or pay less than $9 US for an annual pool membership.

honest cops?? now i know you don't know what you're talking about. think before you post

also less air pollution than Houston, with more honest cops. .

honest cops?? now i know you don't know what you're talking about. think before you post

OK, dinthailand, tell us all you know about Houston cops. (Read before you post?)

As expensive as the UK?????

I recently moved back to the US (late Oct)

My wife and I were making 80k baht /month while living in CM (06-08).

We had a car (00 civic ex)

2 mopeds

4 story town house rented INSIDE the old city

Enough money to do anything, eat anything we wanted, hel_l we RARELY cooked, easily 90%+ of our meals were bought either from a market, vendor, restaurant. and we still had $ left over to save etc.

And honestly, 80k baht isn't exactly at the top end either. considering that rent, insurance, and bills here in the US would far exceed 80k baht a month before even talking about spending $ on food (especially if we ate out as much as we did back in CM!)

But CM is full of pollution and roving samurai gangs and light breaking Shans who want to slit your throat! :scared:

And you have to avoid getting sucked into the expatriate social scene that is very so cliquey and 'networky', along with all the back-biting and small-town minded attitudes, that you might find yourself back in farangland without realising it.

And you have to avoid getting sucked into the expatriate social scene that is very so cliquey and 'networky', along with all the back-biting and small-town minded attitudes, that you might find yourself back in farangland without realising it.

As I said, I only had non-Thai friends at work, so other than the odd get together (every 3-5 months) I didn't interact with Farang. Now granted I am 26 and my wife is 30 so there is a large young Thai social scene.

I like CM because it has big city conveniences, but it doesn’t feel so much like a big city.

I like Thai food. If you cook, the local markets are terrific for vegetables and fruit. Also, you can pick up prepared food at your local market. The Miahia market has the best sausage!

If you cook and want non-Thai food, it is possible to get a variety of food here. For instance, we like confit and duck is reasonably priced. So we decided to try to make confit. It came out okay. We decided to try to make cassoulet ala Chiang Mai. However, we will usually have duck breasts with a wine, shallot, brandy, reduced stock sauce with purple rice, mushrooms and a vegetable (sautéed baby bok choy or asparagus). For fun, we bought 3 different aged steaks from 3 different countries from Rim Ping market and had a steak tasting.

If you like to experiment with cocktails, the fruit here is fantastic. The House restaurant has a “House Martini” that we like to try to duplicate. It uses fresh passion fruit and pineapple.

There are several types of restaurants here so there is variety in this as well. Northern Thai food is delicious so we actually mostly eat Thai food, but MiCasa is great when we want to switch to a European flavor.

As we only come to CM during the winters now, the first things we do here are go to the dentist (we like them here better than the U.S. and it's much cheaper), get a haircut (we love to get our head massaged while getting a shampoo), get a foot massage (I like this a lot) and get some good Thai food.

As nightlife activities are a bit more affordable here, we will go listen to live music. Brasserie Pub and Restaurant is where we go every year at least twice. We’ve been there more this year because the warm-up band is pretty good and we saw Took and his band have a couple of hot nights. We visited Northgate Jazz Co-op a couple of times and they were pretty good. Normally, we also go to the Chang Jazz Club at the Gallery restaurant, but they are closed for renovations and I’ve received answers like “next week” and “next month” when I ask the staff there. Anyway, live music is available.

You can get pretty good bread here and I'm not sure this is the case in other areas of Thailand.

Availability of dsl internet access is probable. I say it this way because I saw a post where some people cannot get it right now. For us, it is important and we ask for this up front for houses that we rent.

There is a nice movie theatre at Airport Plaza.

That's all I can think of for now! Hope this helps.

Elaine

I still go to those parties, but you have to bring your own Viagra, these days. :D

And I'm all-in-favour of not dying just yet, thanks ! :o

Seriously, I love Chiang Mai, because it feels very multi-cultural. The farangs are from everywhere. Even the Thais are central or northern-Thai, with plenty of hill-tribes, as well.

We also have a good selection of 2nd-hand book dealers, the books not the dealers, which was on my list of must-haves, when we were deciding where to retire to.

I would, and do, recommend Chiang Mai, but why not rent and spend a year or two here, to make up your own mind ?

"But CM is full of pollution and roving samurai gangs and light breaking Shans who want to slit your throat! :scared:"

I'm from Philadelphia and I have never been scared nor have I ever seen anything threatening in Chiang Mai other than when I look in the mirror. I guess it depends what your looking for, if you look for trouble and hang out with bar girls you will find trouble. If you are the respectable upstanding professional citizen.... well, I have lived here for going on 6 years and have never so much as had a hassle with anyone but I choose my friends carefully.

"But CM is full of pollution and roving samurai gangs and light breaking Shans who want to slit your throat! :scared:"

I'm from Philadelphia and I have never been scared nor have I ever seen anything threatening in Chiang Mai other than when I look in the mirror. I guess it depends what your looking for, if you look for trouble and hang out with bar girls you will find trouble. If you are the respectable upstanding professional citizen.... well, I have lived here for going on 6 years and have never so much as had a hassle with anyone but I choose my friends carefully.

I think you will find that was a joke from original poster! A bit close to the mark on the 'light breaking Shans who want to slit your throat' comment though!

Seriously though CM, safe as houses, probably a lot safer than any large western city....but if you like getting involved in something 'dodgy' then like anywhere else, you could find trouble!