Inexpensive Japanese Food In Lower Sukhumvit?

jfchandler

I've always maintained one of the advantages of living in Lower Sukhumvit is that you can find almost any (and every) kind of restaurant and food somewhere pretty much within walking distance. But the other night, a Thai friend stumped me, and left me rarely without an answer...

We were going out for dinner, and she wanted Japanese noodles, so I started thinking, where's there a simple Japanese sushi, noodles and/or curry shop in the vicinity. And I came up blank. Sure, there are any number of high-end Japanese restaurants in the local upper scale hotels such as the Marriott and Landmark. But what about simple, everyday eating and fare???

Yes, you can go into town around Siam at the shopping malls there... Or outward toward Emporium and Soi 24 for the Japanese fare there... But what about simple places within walking distance of either Nana or Asoke BTS????

(Thanks much!!!!)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've already guessed it - what you're looking for can only be found in the Saladaeng (Thaniya) and Phrompong areas - and even then it's a bit pricey by Thai standards.

I used to live in lower Sukhumvit and the best thing around was the Korean food in Sukhumvit Plaza, or across the street at the Ambassador before they ruined it first with low-end shopping, and now occupied by The Regent.

Otherwise, you're eating Thai-style Japanese food (Fuji, Oishi, Shabushi etc.) which can be found in most malls.

Hey Ted... I would have settled for the home-grown variety on that time...

But I'm wracking my brain... I don't think there is a Fuji or Oishi or the like within walking distance of either Nana or Asoke BTS....

Am I forgetting somewhere???

I'm hoping there might be some small Japanese outlet just on the other side of Asoke...beyond Soi Cowboy in those sois... But I don't really hang out there...so can't speak to what little places might be in that neighborhood.... or on the other side of Suk Road, in the low 20s....

Edited by jfchandler

Hey JF :o

Depends on what you call low 20s... Emporium is between 22 and 24.

If you're willing to go that far, there are a couple of places that serve noodles - my favorite is Ramentei, on 33/1 (across from the Bull's Head near Villa). There's also one in the Food Hall of Emporium (K-ca Ramen) which is usually good but sometimes they don't add enough of the oil to the soup, and next to the Emporium in Soi 24 (Terminal Bldg) is another pretty good place for noodles. And of course there's a Fuji on the 4th floor of Emporium as well.

There may be a Japanese place on Soi Cowboy (soi 23) in the same complex as the Chokchai Steak House, but I haven't tried it myself. That would be the closest one to Asoke that I can think of.

Curry - there used to be a place next to Phrompong station, not sure if it's still there, it's opposite the Emporium. Otherwise you'll have to head down to Thaniya where there's a Curry Emon somewhere in the sois - and also another Ramentei on Soi Thaniya.

Not a big sushi fan myself but for those I'd probably just do Fuji or Oishi unless you're a connoisseur. Can't think of any Fuji or Oishi near you though.

korean on sukhumvit 21 and sukhumvit 13 inside sukhumvit suites...or take the MRT to Fortune ratchada since your at the asoke station anyway... kobune is there...better yet take the BTS to Thonglor and theres a handful of jap-kor places at the beginning of the soi.

Sukhumwit 22, on the right hand side set back a bit from the road there's a great, simple Japanese restaurant. Can't remember its name. It's on the ground floor of an apartment block. Next to it is a Japanese shop selling raw fish. Much more authentic than the likes of Fuji. It also serves a few Korean dishes. Very popular with local Japanese.

I've remembered: it's called Tokujo, and it's on the corner of Sukhumwit 22 and Soi 1. The apartment block it's in is Admiral Suites.

Tokujo has good lunch boxes, but if you are getting that far away I think you are better heading to soi 33/1 (I think it is closer in fact - Tokuji is a long way down soi 22). I consider that lower Sukhumvit myself and walk there, or it is a direct taxi or skytrain ride if you are feeling lazy.

The first shop on the right has the best ramen at the right price (named Tan Ten Men or similar). The one to the right of the Bull's Head has good lunch deals if you want a bento or the daily special. Tsubakiya down the end opposite Fuji has a fantastic sushi train deal for weekend lunch (All you can eat 280 Baht, with the manager looking on ensuring the dishes are decent quality and variety. You pay less than that if you only eat a couple of dishes too - I think it is 8 plates before the cost is capped at 280 Baht?).

Walking distance of Nana or Asok your out of luck. There are a few places attached to hotels, but they are disappointing. There is a katsu restaurant hidden in soi 11, off a carpark I think opposite Bed, but you need to be able to read the Japanese for katsu to find it. I've never been in though as the walk to 33/1 is much more my style.

I've always maintained an Oishi or Fuji would do fantastic business in lower sukhumvit on the north side. Beer bars with no customers and tailors shops with their doors shut at 7 haven't realized this it seems. We did just get a Himali Cha-Cha branch though - just what this area needs, yet another Indian restaurant at the same price point as all the others.

Edited by stub

Thanks very much for the suggestion... AyG.... Likewise to you Sub...

What kind of menu offerings do they have there at Tokuji???

I've only been there for lunch. You get a good sized tempura bento, a ginger pork bento, several others. I haven't ordered off their menu - apart from the lunch specials you start getting standard Sukhumvit prices which is a bit much to pay this far from Sukhumvit and you are better off heading to 33/1. Seemed to be a fairly standard menu - pork cutlet on rice, chicken & egg on rice, curry rice, yakisoba - but it has been a while and maybe they had some unusual or signature dishes on there. Free tea of course, and miso soup and a fruit plate with the bentos.

If you've hit Soi 22 already, it's only a couple minutes to 33/1.

Never tried Tan Tan Men, might do that one day, but I never see people in it, which to me is a key indicator. Ramentei is always nearly full.

Really? I've had trouble getting a seat there sometimes. Gets a good lunch crowd, but I guess the style of food doesn't make for long drawn out meals so it gets empty outside of the key hours? Mixed Japanese, Thai and Farang business.

I've never made it into Ramentei. They never have menu out and dark glass so I always end up entering somewhere I know I'll enjoy.

I forgot to mention Imoya before, second or third floor of a building in Suk 24 near the corner (between Sukhumvit Rd and the Emporium soi 24 entrance - look for the red and black smiling potato sign). Not open for lunch, but great decor and ambiance all done up like an outdoor restaurant from 40 years ago.

This pretty much confirms what I feared...that with the exception of pricey hotel-based restaurants, there's not much in the way of Japanese fare along Sukhumvit Road between say Sois 1 and and Asoke.

That's a shame... There's a market there for almost everything else under the sun... including multiple Mexicans, Koreans, Middle Easterns, multiple multiple multiple Indians, pizza and Italians, burgers, along with all the variations of Thai, and other's I'm probably forgetting... all located within that particular neighborhood.

So what about basic, everyday Japanese????? It's gotta be a better market in that corridor than being 1 of 25 Indian restaurants all competing against each other.... Fuji, Oishi, Kobune, etc... Are you listening?????

PS - Thanks to all the comments/suggestions above. Emporium area isn't exactly the lower Sukhumvit I was referring to or within walking distance of Nana. But it's certainly closeby, and I now have a full plate of new places to try when I'm out Emporium way...

PPS - Someone above mentioned a possible katsu place hidden in Soi 11... If anyone knows more about it, please do tell. I'll be wandering over there shortly to see if I can find such a venue. That would be really nice, if it's still there.

Really? I've had trouble getting a seat there sometimes. Gets a good lunch crowd, but I guess the style of food doesn't make for long drawn out meals so it gets empty outside of the key hours? Mixed Japanese, Thai and Farang business.

That may be the problem - I don't walk by there during the day, usually evenings.

Another key is - if you want to eat Japanese, watch where the Japanese eat. Since most Japanese men won't go eat before 8 pm, it's about this time that you can begin to tell which places they favor. Ramentei, again, is usually full - and Tan Tan Men, usually empty.

That doesn't mean the food isn't good, however - fact of the matter is, most Japanese-run establishments I have been to have very good food. It might just mean that the Japanese prefer a different style - Tan Tan Men seems to be basically the Japanese version of Chinese food, whereas Ramentei is basically an "every day" ramen shop.

I've never made it into Ramentei. They never have menu out and dark glass so I always end up entering somewhere I know I'll enjoy.

Actually, I'm just like you in that respect. Fortunately, someone introduced these places to me.

I forgot to mention Imoya before, second or third floor of a building in Suk 24 near the corner (between Sukhumvit Rd and the Emporium soi 24 entrance - look for the red and black smiling potato sign). Not open for lunch, but great decor and ambiance all done up like an outdoor restaurant from 40 years ago.

See above - never would've discovered this place had a friend not taken me there. It is quite good and inexpensive but in a way it's not very mainstream, either. More yakitori style - the style popular in Japan for late-night drinkers and people who want to snack.

Someone mentioned Ootoya above - I forgot about that - this is a Japanese chain which is very high-quality and has quite a few locations now, but nearly all in malls, and none between Emporium and Paragon that I know of. I enjoy eating there too.

uzuki, soi 11, in grand president. hearty, good, CHEAP! exactly what you describe.

plate of salmon sashimi well sub 200 bt. full of japanese salarymen.

also in the small plaza acoross from bed is a small restauraunt that onlu does tonkatsu. again cheap, but it seems to have irregular hours

Edited by t.s

Thanks TS... I've never been into the Grand President for eating... but I will now..

Also, it sounds like you're describing the tonkatsu place that another poster alluded to above.... So that's a second confirmed sighting... hehehehehe

I'm on my way NOW!!!!!! :o

Thanks TS... I've never been into the Grand President for eating... but I will now..

Also, it sounds like you're describing the tonkatsu place that another poster alluded to above.... So that's a second confirmed sighting... hehehehehe

I'm on my way NOW!!!!!! :o

uzuki is very much an entity separate from the grand president.

it has separate lunch and dinner sittings.

you enter from the street directly across from the beer garden. katsu place has a flag with japanes characters on it in the parking lot beside the bank across from BED

Edited by t.s

Toyo Ichiban is just 20 minutes by Taxi from Asoke Intersection. Buffet lunch and dinner costs about 400 Baht. They give away discount cards (20%) I think it was. They have different kinds of sashimi (Salmon, octupus tentacles, Tuna, etc.), Fresh oysters the size of your fist, a surf and turf bar where you can have them grill your selection, at least 10 different kinds of sushi, soba, can't name all but there are about a hundred different kinds of food or so it felt. I promise myself never to touch Japanese food again for the rest of the year - but evertime I am in Bangkok, I am there again. Good thing I don't go to Bkk too often.

• 1 month later...
There is a katsu restaurant hidden in soi 11, off a carpark I think opposite Bed, but you need to be able to read the Japanese for katsu to find it. I've never been in though as the walk to 33/1 is much more my style.

I went looking the other day for this elusive katsu restaurant, and couldn't find it...

Indeed, directly opposite Bed on Suk Soi 11, there is a large U-shaped complex of shops and a few restaurants with interior courtyard parking. We stopped by there one day just about lunch time.

I don't read Japanese, but there is a full-blown Japanese restaurant there on the left hand side as you enter, about 1/3 of the way down the road. But the Thai guards on duty said it is only open for dinner time. And I looked in through the door window, and the place was indeed empty and dark at lunchtime. They have a sign out front, but I didn't catch a photo of their nane/sign.

That said, it didn't look like a katsu shop, it looked like a fancier Japanese restaurant from the outside. Elsewhere in the complex, there were a lot of closed and empty spaces, and some Korean places.

If anyone has indeed eaten at this katsu place or seen it open lately, can you be a bit more specific on how to find it???

I went looking the other day for this elusive katsu restaurant, and couldn't find it...

Your "katsu" is nothing different to viena deep fried pork snitzel. Then, just cut into 7-8 pieces.

That is what your "katsu " is : cut. Katakana in Japanese says: ka-tsu. Cut.

Most likely, if you could read it, the restaurant was advertising "Ton Katsu". Pork cutlets.

Edited by think_too_mut

There is a katsu restaurant hidden in soi 11, off a carpark I think opposite Bed, but you need to be able to read the Japanese for katsu to find it. I've never been in though as the walk to 33/1 is much more my style.

Indeed, directly opposite Bed on Suk Soi 11, there is a large U-shaped complex of shops and a few restaurants with interior courtyard parking. We stopped by there one day just about lunch time.

I don't read Japanese, but there is a full-blown Japanese restaurant there on the left hand side as you enter, about 1/3 of the way down the road. But the Thai guards on duty said it is only open for dinner time. And I looked in through the door window, and the place was indeed empty and dark at lunchtime. They have a sign out front, but I didn't catch a photo of their nane/sign.

That said, it didn't look like a katsu shop, it looked like a fancier Japanese restaurant from the outside. Elsewhere in the complex, there were a lot of closed and empty spaces, and some Korean places.

If anyone has indeed eaten at this katsu place or seen it open lately, can you be a bit more specific on how to find it???

You found it. There are two entrances next to each other - one side leads to a Japanese restaurant, the other side goes to the katsu specialty place. It doesn't look cheap. I didn't go into either - I don't bother with places without menus in front as I've been disappointed too many times. There was a greeter hanging around the front.

Well, happily, I finally found one pretty good answer to the question I posed in creating this thread... inexpensive (emphasis on that word) Japanese food in lower Sukhumvit.... How does 50, 60 or 80 baht per dish sound???

There is a food court in the basement of the Robinson department store (between Suk Sois 15 and 19) where the Tops supermarket is located. The shopping center is about halfway between the Nana and Asoke BTS stations. And in that food court is a small counter restaurant called Daikoku that serves pretty simple, decent, inexpensive cooked-to-order Japanese fare.

post-53787-1238486274_thumb.jpg

It's a coupon operation, meaning you can't pay cash but instead have to buy paper coupons from a nearby food court counter to pay for your meal. No sushi or sashimi here. Just a variety of simple, basic noodle and curry dishes, and no single dish above 80 baht, I do believe.

post-53787-1238486446_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1238486471_thumb.jpg

After a good exercise workout nearby yesterday, I tried their 50 baht zaru ramen as well as their 50 baht curry rice dish and found both to be freshly prepared and decent, especially for the price. Zaru ramen is a cold noodles dish accompanied by a dipping sauce. The curry rice plate at Daikoku includes a helping of white rice accompanied by some stewed pork, potato and carrot chunks in a routine brown Japanese curry sauce.

post-53787-1238487729_thumb.jpg

I wanted to try one of the tonkatsu items on the menu, but by 7 pm on a Monday evening, the cook said all of the tonkatsu was gone. Also on their menu are varieties of ramens, udons, gyoza and yakisoba.

Can't find anything about this small shop/restaurant on the web. But there have been/are fancier Japanese restaurants called Shin Daikoku located nearby on Suk Soi 19 and also at the Inter-Continental Hotel near the Ploenchit BTS station. So I'm guessing based on the name (but don't know for certain) that this counter is an offshoot of the regular restaurant.

The Daikoku counter in the Top's food court is small, with only maybe half a dozen seats. But you can also take your food, if you desire, and sit nearby in the much larger food court area and order drinks there as well.

For simple, common man's Japanese fare at a bargain price, Daikoku fits the bill...

If you are a fan of Gyoza (and I am), I found what could possibly be the best in the city at Siam Paragon of all places.

Basement level, KCa Ramen (opposite Burger King). Not cheap (80 baht for 5) but 10x better than anything served up at Oeeshi or Fuji.

Not lower sukhumvit technically but easy to get too. Ramen and other dishes were also very good.

Your "katsu" is nothing different to viena deep fried pork snitzel. Then, just cut into 7-8 pieces.

That is what your "katsu " is : cut. Katakana in Japanese says: ka-tsu. Cut.

Most likely, if you could read it, the restaurant was advertising "Ton Katsu". Pork cutlets.

Not to nitpick, but the pork for Japanese tonkatsu/katsudon should be coated in panko bread crumbs.  i don't have a clue as to in what specifically schnitzel is coated.

I used to make katsudon quite regularly in the US.  Then, the next day, I would get a fresh loaf of french bread, cut the pork into halves, then put them on the bread with tonkatsu sauce and miracle whip.  Heaven!!!  :o