Divorcing Thai Wife And Re-marrying

terrier123

Recently there was a posting that under Thai law after getting divorced from a Thai National, there is a waiting time of 1 year before re-marrying in Thailand. Can anyone confirm that I remember this correctly?

More precisely, it is 360 days. But yes, effectively 1 year.

Any man who gets married a second time doesn't deserve to get rid of the first one.

Mr.Jones,Mr.Jones don't talk rubbisch.

Good advise as is your usual bent ? Once bitten , twice shy , why would a wise man want to keep splitting his wealth in half and often splitting his wage pack also to pay alimony ?

Chain her to the sink , keep her bare-foot and pregnant is an old addage , in Thailand it appears to be the shoe is on the other foot !!!!!! :o

Recently there was a posting that under Thai law after getting divorced from a Thai National, there is a waiting time of 1 year before re-marrying in Thailand. Can anyone confirm that I remember this correctly?

There is a waiting time of 310 days for a woman, to make sure she isn't pregnant. With a statement from a doctor that the woman is not pregnant there is no waiting time.

http://www.isaanlawyers.com/images/CCCT%20...%20marriage.pdf

section 1453, Thai civil Code, (page 4).

Edited by Mario2008

why in gods name would you be in such a rush to get married AGAIN? Isn't once in a lifetime enough?

Easily answered - wanna stay here, visa & exchange rate

why bother with a divorce then, just pay the x a monthly marriage visa fee, never know what your gonna end up with next

Aaaahhhh , the turf(grass) is always greener by perception , do not foget to bring your chainsaw , eerrrr , lawn mower with you , one has to wade through the undergrowth to get to Shangrela , one never knows what is contained in Pandoras 'Box' until the flies have all vacated the area . 555

Aaaahhhh , the turf(grass) is always greener by perception , do not foget to bring your chainsaw , eerrrr , lawn mower with you , one has to wade through the undergrowth to get to Shangrela , one never knows what is contained in Pandoras 'Box' until the flies have all vacated the area . 555

:o:D

• 2 weeks later...

Dear sirs,

If you are interested in marrying a Thai woman after a divorce without waiting the 360 days as mentioned then get married in Hong Kong. It takes about one (1) month. As of recently you need to visit the Marriage office there to provide your fiance's details together with a certified copy from the Thai Home Ministry that she is presently single (though yours is not required, quite civilized) along with a qualified translation to English. The HK office places an ad in the local paper to verify if there are any objections to this union and then you are advised of a date and time for your marriage appointment. All very official and quite courteous and professional.

But be advised Hong Kong marriage is recognized EVERYWHERE. Once you are married you do not need to certify anything at an Embassy. She has full legal rights as your wife in Europe, USA, etc etc.. Getting divorce is not that easy in HK. Usually a minimum of a year is needed to divorce, even if you get a judgement somewhere else the HK gov't will take about a year to note it in their ledgers.

If I may make a comment to prospective grooms, I have been in Asia all my adult life for over a quarter century. I have found the the Thai women are among the most beautiful, accessible and obtainable and the highest maintenance women in Asia requiring an inordinate amount of your time amd mind. Might I suggest you venture further afield to find someone to be happy with on a long term basis. I would recommend both China and Indonesia over Thailand women for long term relationship. The concepts mentally of these two groups are quite different with regards to husband, family and marriage somewhat more akin to western concepts than the Thai.

In any case, good luck to whoever may be contemplating this endeavour.

Regards