Financial Crisis

Good observation Paul. Both Stratfor and the Economist read like mouthpieces for various "think tanks", all with an agenda.

Yet again, I find myself saying "I wish I'd said that, Oscar..."

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps Im not paranoid enough?

Been an Economist subscriber for years. I do have a soft spot for British tory papers though :)

I stopped my Economist subscription when I realized that I could write much better articles about Thailand myself and that Asia Times, FEER etc wrote much, muc, much better articles about Thailand. FT seems to be the only place where data isn't too tarnished with propaganda...

Ah, this is perhaps where we differ; I dont read it for its articles on Thailand.

That wasn't so much the disaease as the most obvious symptom to me of a general and deep-rooted malaise...

[...]

That wasn't so much the disaease as the most obvious symptom to me of a general and deep-rooted malaise...

Quite why a UK-based paper would have an insight into things in S.E Asia I dont know, but I occasionally find myself agreeing with articles in the finance and economics section - especially Buttonwood(Phil Coggan, ex-FT contributor) - which is surely the most one can expect from a paper.

Matt Simmons: A Small Nuclear Device Is Needed In The Gulf

Simplified but engaging:

http://www.sprott.com/Docs/MarketsataGlanc...d%20Formula.pdf

A Busted Formula

By: Eric Sprott & David Franklin

Commerzbank has the highest leverage of the German banks at 124:1. This means that if their assets drop in value by a mere 0.8%, their tangible shareholders equity is effectively wiped out. How many asset classes do you think have dropped by 0.8% since Commerzbank’s last filing in March? We would guess almost all of them have (except gold of course). Hence the recent ban on naked short selling of German bank shares. They’re too vulnerable to handle the market’s wrath.

The German banks are not alone. Most large banks around the globe are operating with too much leverage. The governments can keep the “Bailout and Stimulate” game going, but it won’t amount to much in the long-term unless the leverage issue is wrung out of the banking system. Until that happens, bailing out the banks is akin to pouring money down a bottomless pit.

The key point to remember with bailouts and stimulus is that it’s ultimately your money that the government is spending – and your children’s money. The numbers strongly suggest that your money isn’t being spent wisely. We need real jobs and real growth, not bigger, more leveraged banks. The market isn’t oblivious – it can see what’s happening.

I think Canadas ex-foreign secretary, Peter McKay, explains a common diplomatic view:

"Its not a difficult choice between siding with a democracy that's being attacked by terrorists and a group of cold-blooded killers."

As for the facts, Im convinced no one posting on this forum has all of the facts, it would be impossible to believe they did, and thus no one on this forum is really in a position to make any firm opinion?

If I had lived for a significant period in Gaza and Tel Aviv, then perhaps I would at least have a ground-level understanding, and would perhaps be able to form a personal opinion.

But as I have neither hard facts nor personal experience, Im really not in a position to pass any judgement, beyond the obvious; the whole area is, and has been, a ghastly wanton mess for far too long :D

Badge I could never believe you are naïve but for gods sake, how many times does the international community need to say

“ you naughty people ! don’t do it again “ :D

1. Charity: Palestinian children 'sexually abused' in Israeli jails

http://www.3news.co.nz/Charity-Palestinian...37/Default.aspx

2. Guardian investigation uncovers evidence of alleged Israeli war crimes in Gaza

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/2...crimes-guardian

3. Palestinians evicted from own homes

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2010/s2855357.htm

4. Forged passport inquiry urges expulsion of Israel

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontp...4271678155.html

5. Switzerland on home demolitions: Israel breaking international law

http://www.almoltaqa.ps/english/showthread.php?t=9138

6. Israel has blatantly disregarded international law regarding its nuclear arsenal

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=127614

And by the way, for those like Sokal who claims " stuff " gets delivered to Gaza no problems........GOSH did you hear the Israelis

wont allow the Palestinians to have " among other things, cilantro, sage, jam, chocolate, French fries, dried fruit, fabrics, notebooks, empty flowerpots and toys, none of which are particularly useful in building Kassam rockets " :)

http://www.businessinsider.com/israel-is-b...0#ixzz0ppgy8Z7T

5. Switzerland on home demolitions: Israel breaking international law

http://www.almoltaqa.ps/english/showthread.php?t=9138

Well one thing we can guarantee is that Switzerland will not be subject to an invasion of a 'flotilla of boats'.

Still Israel, Gaza etc. is an exceedingly boring topic and I am sure has nothing to do with the 'Financial Crisis' - well until such time as they decide to nuke someone.

Edited by Abrak

Still Israel, Gaza etc. is an exceedingly boring topic and I am sure has nothing to do with the 'Financial Crisis' - well until such time as they decide to nuke someone.

If oil were to hit $300 a barrel that would have a lot to do with the 'Financial Crisis' and the fat lady is still clearing her throat :)

Israel Worried Turkey May Send Navy Ships With Next Flotilla

http://www.huliq.com/1/93847/israel-worrie...s-next-flotilla

If oil were to hit $300 a barrel that would have a lot to do with the 'Financial Crisis' and the fat lady is still clearing her throat :)

Well fair point.

But given a massive oil spill near the Mississippi, that drillers have been told to stop drilling, that Israel is playing politics and the price of oil has gone absolutely nowhere - we should assume that Israel, Gaza etc is an exceedingly boring topic that has next to no impact on the oil price or the Financial Crisis - rather than it is fundamental to the underlying global economy.

I would perfectly accept that if the oil price had risen US$30/bbl we should be glued to the possible outcome but that doesnt really seem to be the case.

Well fair point.

But given a massive oil spill near the Mississippi, that drillers have been told to stop drilling, that Israel is playing politics and the price of oil has gone absolutely nowhere - we should assume that Israel, Gaza etc is an exceedingly boring topic that has next to no impact on the oil price or the Financial Crisis - rather than it is fundamental to the underlying global economy.

I would perfectly accept that if the oil price had risen US$30/bbl we should be glued to the possible outcome but that doesnt really seem to be the case.

I think the only reason oil got as high as it is now is so buyers and producers could reset their hedges. It could go up $20 I suppose, but it could go down $50 just as well.

Well fair point.

I thought you used to be an analyst Abrak and I thought analysts were forward looking ? :D

A number of factors could be keeping oil prices down right now . Maybe it just highlights a supply glut in the open market and a strengthening American dollar is maybe putting downward pressure on all commodity prices not just oil?

But surely you can’t seriously compare this to the “ psychology ” of what would happen in the oil market if the fireworks started in the Middle East and as some suspect Iran could get involved ?. It is a world apart from an oil spill in Mississippi to having the potential for the bulk of world oil supplies seriously interrupted? Forr that reason I don’t consider Israel, Gaza etc to be an exceedingly boring topic at all and on the contrary I think it highlights what could make the Crisis even worse. ( of course I do remember you said not so long ago " what financial crisis " :D ) ?

Edited by midas

Well fair point.

I thought you used to be an analyst Abrak and I thought analysts were forward looking ? :D

A number of factors could be keeping oil prices down right now . Maybe it just highlights a supply glut in the open market and a strengthening American dollar is maybe putting downward pressure on all commodity prices not just oil?

But surely you can’t seriously compare this to the “ psychology ” of what would happen in the oil market if the fireworks started in the Middle East and as some suspect Iran could get involved ?. It is a world apart from an oil spill in Mississippi to having the potential for the bulk of world oil supplies seriously interrupted? Forr that reason I don’t consider Israel, Gaza etc to be an exceedingly boring topic at all and on the contrary I think it highlights what could make the Crisis even worse. ( of course I do remember you said not so long ago " what financial crisis " :D ) ?

This most recent Israeli incident could be just about anything under the sun; possibly even the price of oil. We do know from experience that things with the Israelis are seldom to never as they seem. "By way of Deception, We wage War" is the motto of the Mossad. The IDF although not nearly as sophisticated as the Mossad also uses deception to include many false flag operations to accomplish their missions. We do not know what they are covering up but you can usually accept that something is being covered up. They would often go to such trouble to cover up a high profile hit. Many are familiar with the hit on the Hamas official in Dubai late last year that involved many agents and was quite elaborate. There were some public officials to include some Sheiks and a former ambassador on the flotilla.

They are arrogant but far from stupid. They plan to the finest detail; the sloppiness of this ordeal wreaks of deception.

I thought you used to be an analyst Abrak and I thought analysts were forward looking ? :)

Well I was an investment analyst but you have to understand my underlying investment philosophy is that 95% of what is going on is 'noise' than actually effects my underlying view of what the 'fundamental value' of something is worth.

So to a large extent, I feel this whole 'Red Shirt' fiasco is 'mostly' 'noise'. I would be more likely to actually buy BP now than sell it. 'Noise' does not in itself mean that say hotel fundamentals in Thailand have not been affected but simply, that the creation of underlying uncertainty is more likely to undervalue something than overvalue it.

So while you are inherently seeing this Israel thing as a potential to take the 'oil price to US$300/bbl' and beginning to discount valuations on that basis, I sort of go by an inherent philosophy that todays news will largely be forgotten in 6 months time - so that it is little more than 'noise'.

So to an extent we are both 'forward thinking' but I think that peoples 'forward thinking' is over influence by current events while your forward thinking is based on 'current events' being a prerequisite to future ones. So my forward thinking is far more along the lines that 'nobody will give a 'flying fuc_k'' as to some flotilla of boats heading towards Israel in six months time, while yours is that it will lead to financial Armageddon. As we both dont know the future, we can only go on our best instincts as to who his right.

And given my own 'forward thinking' it doesnt come to me as a huge surprise that either there are 1) a large flotilla of boats heading towards Israel to offer aid or 2) that Israel attacks one and shoots a few people. As I say it is simply boring rather than a rather exciting and relevant event.

Edited by Abrak

Well I was an investment analyst but you have to understand my underlying investment philosophy is that 95% of what is going on is 'noise' than actually effects my underlying view of what the 'fundamental value' of something is worth.

So while you are inherently seeing this Israel thing as a potential to take the 'oil price to US$300/bbl' and beginning to discount valuations on that basis, I sort of go by an inherent philosophy that todays news will largely be forgotten in 6 months time - so that it is little more than 'noise'.

So to an extent we are both 'forward thinking' but I think that peoples 'forward thinking' is over influence by current events while your forward thinking is based on 'current events' being a prerequisite to future ones. So my forward thinking is far more along the lines that 'nobody will give a 'flying fuc_k'' as to some flotilla of boats heading towards Israel in six months time, while yours is that it will lead to financial Armageddon. As we both dont know the future, we can only go on our best instincts as to who his right.

And given my own 'forward thinking' it doesnt come to me as a huge surprise that either there are 1) a large flotilla of boats heading towards Israel to offer aid or 2) that Israel attacks one and shoots a few people. As I say it is simply boring rather than a rather exciting and relevant event.

With respect dismissing the discussion surrounding ‘ some flotilla of boats ‘ as being “an exceedingly boring topic and nothing to do with the 'Financial Crisis' “ also constitutes “ noise “ because I think those reading this thread know perfectly well this has more to do with watching the behavior of these people and how aggressive they are in imposing their self determined “ values “ on the rest of the world in any way they can. :D

This is most relevant to the “ Financial Crisis “ and we certainly need to give a a 'flying fuc_k'' because after all these are the same people who have such a stranglehold on the entire US financial system and even successfully resisted any attempts to have the US Federal Reserve fully audited - or to express it in another way and as Naam so aptly put it in Post #6985 “ have the White House and the U.S. by the balls “ :)

With respect dismissing the discussion surrounding ‘ some flotilla of boats ‘ as being “an exceedingly boring topic and nothing to do with the 'Financial Crisis' “ also constitutes “ noise “ because I think those reading this thread know perfectly well this has more to do with watching the behavior of these people and how aggressive they are in imposing their self determined “ values “ on the rest of the world in any way they can. :D

This is most relevant to the “ Financial Crisis “ and we certainly need to give a a 'flying fuc_k'' because after all these are the same people who have such a stranglehold on the entire US financial system and even successfully resisted any attempts to have the US Federal Reserve fully audited - or to express it in another way and as Naam so aptly put it in Post #6985 “ have the White House and the U.S. by the balls “ :)

Well yes and no.

The 'flotilla of boats' is a plain and simple 'fact'. My opinion that, in the scheme of things, it simply represents 'noise' is as you rightly point out simply 'noise'. Unfortunately your opinion, as things stands, that it is of global significance is also simply 'noise' too.

The fact that you wish to turn it into some 'global conspiracy' just makes it extremely noisy 'noise' in my opinion.

Look, I would be having the same ridiculous conversation with someone who claimed that in Saudi Arabia when they cut off the hands of someone because they stole a toothpick, it was not a sign of imminent Muslim hegemony, but simply 'noise'. (And I would also point out it was an extremely boring topic.)

I would probably argue that if BP was a country and it had just been invaded by the US it was purely 'noise'.

At the end of the day banks get bailed out by Governments, bankers get paid millions of dollars and the sun sets and rises every single day. When the sun doesnt rise - I agree something quite fundamental is going on. And if Israel nukes Turkey then you can say you told me so. Until that time 'flotillas of boats' to Israel ranks, in my mind, along with Cherile Cole's love life or Victoria Beckham's interest in Balthus's art.

Well yes and no.

The 'flotilla of boats' is a plain and simple 'fact'. My opinion that, in the scheme of things, it simply represents 'noise' is as you rightly point out simply 'noise'. Unfortunately your opinion, as things stands, that it is of global significance is also simply 'noise' too.

The fact that you wish to turn it into some 'global conspiracy' just makes it extremely noisy 'noise' in my opinion.

Look, I would be having the same ridiculous conversation with someone who claimed that in Saudi Arabia when they cut off the hands of someone because they stole a toothpick, it was not a sign of imminent Muslim hegemony, but simply 'noise'. (And I would also point out it was an extremely boring topic.)

I would probably argue that if BP was a country and it had just been invaded by the US it was purely 'noise'.

At the end of the day banks get bailed out by Governments, bankers get paid millions of dollars and the sun sets and rises every single day. When the sun doesnt rise - I agree something quite fundamental is going on. And if Israel nukes Turkey then you can say you told me so. Until that time 'flotillas of boats' to Israel ranks, in my mind, along with Cherile Cole's love life or Victoria Beckham's interest in Balthus's art.

Way back in this thread you dismissed the possibility of violence by the public as a “ romantic notion “ and then you made a sudden reversal

so I merely suggest that you keep a more open mind to the possibilities that could emanate from a " boring flotilla of ships ".

We may actually be seeing justice prevail for a change and that is not Apocalyptic…….In fact seeing the rest of the world react as it has this week ( even though it was well overdue ) has given me more optimism than I have felt for a long time !

Talking of balls, the ECB might be about to drop one. :D

"Forint Falls on Report Fidesz Sees Possible ‘Greek Situation’"

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...ggR5E&pos=5

Watch out Austrian banks.

Euro under renewed pressure. 1.2195.

Regards.

Edit: Or is this just more noise? :D

bizzare isnt it tele ? Saw this on Italy

First we had government bailing out the banks and now its like the banks bailing out the countries :)

Banks covertly financing Italy’s deficit

Covert financing of the government’s deficit by Italian banks reinforces the solvency fears currently surrounding Italy, according to a new report from Lombard Street Research.

http://business.financialpost.com/2010/05/...italys-deficit/

Way back in this thread you dismissed the possibility of violence by the public as a “ romantic notion “ and then you made a sudden reversal

so I merely suggest that you keep a more open mind to the possibilities that could emanate from a " boring flotilla of ships ".

We may actually be seeing justice prevail for a change and that is not Apocalyptic…….In fact seeing the rest of the world react as it has this week ( even though it was well overdue ) has given me more optimism than I have felt for a long time !

As you rightly point out, keeping an open mind is important - changing your mind to reflect the ongoing realities is something that has to be done - even if you dont wish to. (And I might add, even if there is not really much evidence that your original hypothesis is wrong.)

(A theory that there will be civil economic conflict is in fact equivalent to 'England will win the World Cup' it will be a view which if held long enough, will almost certainly come true (unless England is either banned from the competition or the competition ceases to exist.))

But as you say, it is best to keep an open mind, if it all ends in tears (as by the way it eventually will at some point or other) it will inevitably start from a bit of 'noise' ending in a very large 'bang' (which is how I seem to remember it all started.)

Nobody wake Abrak, here's a bit more noise.

"North Korea Says Situtation So Grave War May Break Out At Any Moment"

Reuters.

Regards.

An Assyrian clay tablet, dating to 2800 BC, was unearthed bearing the words "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common."

So yeah wake me up when it is time to get interested.

An Assyrian clay tablet, dating to 2800 BC, was unearthed bearing the words "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common."

So yeah wake me up when it is time to get interested.

The day after that tablet was carved (?), their world came to an end. :)

If things go tits-up, it won't be in slow motion.

Regards.

The day after that tablet was carved (?), their world came to an end. :)

If things go tits-up, it won't be in slow motion.

Regards.

Yeah chances are even Midas will not have time to say 'And that wa_ker Abrak said it was all noise.....'

Actually I believe the Assyrians lasted until about 800BC so at least another 2000 years but...

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

I believe that some bit of 'noise' was the underling problem.

After that nice man from the IMF has finished in Budapest, he can look in on Romania too. 'Cause they don't need need money either. :) Well, not at those rates.

"Failed Bond Auction Bug Goes Viral: Romania Rejects All Bids In 600 Million Lei Auction"

"Public Finance Ministry has rejected all bids submitted considering them an unacceptable level of offer price."

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/failed-bo...ion-lei-auction

How very Greek of them. :D

Regards.

Well fair point.

But surely you can't seriously compare this to the " psychology " of what would happen in the oil market if the fireworks started in the Middle East and as some suspect Iran could get involved ?. It is a world apart from an oil spill in Mississippi to having the potential for the bulk of world oil supplies seriously interrupted? Forr that reason I don't consider Israel, Gaza etc to be an exceedingly boring topic at all and on the contrary I think it highlights what could make the Crisis even worse. ( of course I do remember you said not so long ago " what financial crisis " :D ) ?

The events in Gaza are anything but boring and may have a global financial impact (I still think that rightly or wrongly a lot of things will be brushed under that uge bulging carpet where they have been before in the interests of trying to maintain a Middle East peace at almost any price). To me there are 2 key aspects:

1) This is an issue where in the absence of facts, the effect of any comments tends to be polarisation based on existing beliefs and prejudices. I don't know enough facts. I can't think of anything insightful to say so best I don't say anything - but that makes me even more determined that I really would like to know everything that there is to know about this major event

2) With many major occurences in history, they don't always have an obvious root cause; people react about all sorts of things that in isolation rationally shouldn't cause the consequences that they do. Whatever may have pushed the Cumbrian taxi driver over the edge was almost certainly of itself no real cause for the awful chain of events that occurred there on Wednesday BUT people aren't rational and have breaking points - even if viewed from outside the breaking point may seem to be very trivial.

So the recent happenings in Gaza may or may not be a colossal global political, economic or societal event but we won't know that just yet and undoubtedly they're significant in their own right anyway.

So the recent happenings in Gaza may or may not be a colossal global political, economic or societal event but we won't know that just yet and undoubtedly they're significant in their own right anyway.

in a couple of months hardly anybody will remember or talk about it. on that claim i bet my [not so] sweet àss :)

in a couple of months hardly anybody will remember or talk about it. on that claim i bet my [not so] sweet àss :)

maybe not the boats from this week but they will be covering whichever ones are

trying to break through in 2 months time :D

This has generated such good publicity .....I dont think they are going

stop now until they lift all restrictions on Gaza. And they if they

dont lift all restrictions they will keep having more flotillas

Dear all,

I have been away for a while but still followed this Fred.

It seems that no one of you is learning history as I have mentioned so many times. And I do not talk about looking at a 10 or even 20 years time line.

It goes further back than that. To understand what is happening now, you need to know what where and when. Think of cause and effect. You need to understand what and who the shadow economy is, and the influence of the global organized crime and how much influence each one of them organizations have on a global scale, (including those corporations that say they do legitimate bizz). Globalization is the word, but do you know what it really means?

I challenge you all to describe what you think globalization is all about and how it is connected to the situation we are in now.

Alex.

:)