Anyone Familiar With Us/thai Marrage?

Can anyone suggest somewhere to get information about a US/Thai marriage? We have read the countries requirements on the embassy website, but looking for people who have gone through the experience. Dont know which would be better: to get married in Thailand, then come to the US: or to apply for a 90 day marriage Visa. My finacee is apply for a tourist visa at present, is this good? Most of the threads here seem to be UK/Thai, maybe I am searching wrong. Any suggestions?? Anyone?? Time is getting very short now, we want to make the decision by the end of March. :o

Maybe a moderator can suggest a way to search here on Thaivisa Forum for US/Thai marriage advise?

Thanks in advance

Edited by in2it1

I went through the same thing. Wait until your fiancee can come to the United States to marry. Waiting while the visa is processed and you are away can be devastating to the relationship.

There is no 90 day marriage visa. Your options are a marriage visa or fiancee visa. Whether you marry in Thailand or wait until your bride can go to the United States on a fiancee visa, the process takes about 9 months to 18 months depending on the information requests from the US government while the application is pending. You cannot get married while your fiancee is in the United StatesS on a tourist visa. The marriage will not allow her to stay in the US, and will make it more difficult to complete the other proper applications. Nor is it likely that your fiancee will be allowed into the US on a tourist visa (very difficult for Thai women to obtain). Take a look at Visajourney.com.

Good Luck.

I went through the same thing. Wait until your fiancee can come to the United States to marry. Waiting while the visa is processed and you are away can be devastating to the relationship.

There is no 90 day marriage visa. Your options are a marriage visa or fiancee visa. Whether you marry in Thailand or wait until your bride can go to the United States on a fiancee visa, the process takes about 9 months to 18 months depending on the information requests from the US government while the application is pending. You cannot get married while your fiancee is in the United StatesS on a tourist visa. The marriage will not allow her to stay in the US, and will make it more difficult to complete the other proper applications. Nor is it likely that your fiancee will be allowed into the US on a tourist visa (very difficult for Thai women to obtain). Take a look at Visajourney.com.

Good Luck.

I have read about the difficulities of getting a tourist visa for a Thai woman. In this case, she is employed by the same company for 8 years, has her own condo, her own accounts (financial), has family in Bkk and Roi Et, I have visited her there and will be there again in the next few months. My question is with her backround and established lifestyle can this make a difference getting a tourist visa for her?

I have read about the difficulities of getting a tourist visa for a Thai woman. In this case, she is employed by the same company for 8 years, has her own condo, her own accounts (financial), has family in Bkk and Roi Et, I have visited her there and will be there again in the next few months. My question is with her backround and established lifestyle can this make a difference getting a tourist visa for her?

Your fiancee might have sufficient means to obtain a tourist visa, but it is not guaranteed. My wife had a similar background and was denied. In any event, the tourist visa cannot be used for marriage even if it is granted. Nor is your fiancee in a better position is she marries you in the United States while on a tourist visa. Some immigration judges might look at that as an improper attempt to gain permanent status, which would effect a proper application. The United States will deport a wife under that situation.

My wife had a good background also, but from advice from folks some years past, we choose to go K-1. It wasn't a difficult process, just a gathering of financial records and birth certificate on my end.

My wife to be, did notice many applicants being rejected. She felt it was the way they presented themselves through dress and mannerisms. She, ever the conservative, wore a business suit and spent less time getting approved at the interview than those being rejected. The interviewer questioned her in English for the most part rather than Thai.

I don't know how others have fared, but she felt it was rather easy. The hassle was the back and forth from Chiang Mai to BKK.

I do have an acquaintance who worked outta the embassy who married a civilian employee at the embassy in BKK. Needless to say there was no problem with getting their visa. :o

Can anyone suggest somewhere to get information about a US/Thai marriage? We have read the countries requirements on the embassy website, but looking for people who have gone through the experience. Dont know which would be better: to get married in Thailand, then come to the US: or to apply for a 90 day marriage Visa. My finacee is apply for a tourist visa at present, is this good? Most of the threads here seem to be UK/Thai, maybe I am searching wrong. Any suggestions?? Anyone?? Time is getting very short now, we want to make the decision by the end of March. :D

Maybe a moderator can suggest a way to search here on Thaivisa Forum for US/Thai marriage advise?

Thanks in advance

:o If you're talking about the process/paperwork required, the U.S. embessy consulate handles this on a daily basis. If you go to the consulate they will give you a checksheet that goes over the recommended process step by step. It explains the whole procedure on how a marriage is made legal in Thailand and the paperwork you will need to file. They will even have a list of approved/recommended translators (the Thai documents need to be translated and certified). It will require both you and your spouse to get certain documents. The U.S. consulate in BKK probably gets several requests a day of the nature, "How do I get married to a Thai woman?" The checksheet explains it, so start there. Be aware, she will have to get certain documents (birth certificate, police clearance, etc.). Most of the delay will come from her getting those documents from the Thai government. If your spouse (I'm assuming a she, but you didn't specify) needs to travel back upcountry to their village to get documents, expect a longer delay.

You can also talk to the consulate about a fiancee visa that allows your spouse to go to the U.S. for the purpose of marriage and what they will need you and her to provide to get such a visa. Whether that is better/faster than a marriage in Thailand depends on too many issues to say for sure.

Much of the "delay",especially if your Thai spouse needs to travel outside of BKK to get documents will be in getting the required documents from the local government. Is your spouse prepared to take that effort? Frankly, that is where the process usually breaks down....when the Thai partner realises that he/she has to travel back to their home village to get a document.

Rule of thumb...it will take longer and cost more (for travel and expenses involved) than you expected it to.

I'm not trying to discourage you, it is certainly possible to do it, but don't expect to just walk in and get married or get a fiancee visa. It requires time...frankly I wouldn't expect to get the marriage process done in less than a month...and probably two months is more realistic. Expect that.

The U.S. consulate handles these requests all the time. Listen to what they say and do what they suggest for minimum problems. Otherwise, it just makes a longer delay to complete the process.

:D

Back in 2004 it was faster to do the fiancee visa than the spouse visa. In both cases, plan on living in the US alone for some time while her paperwork gets sorted out. My wife made it to California in six months. During that time I visited her in Thailand once to have our wedding. This was a Buddhist ceremony, but not official as that would have screwed up the fiancee visa.

It is possible to marry on a tourist visa, but not recommended. Being your spouse does not automatically allow her to stay or travel to the US.

Go to the USCIS.gov website and read through the process. The most important paperwork you will present to them is the evidence of a bona fide, so it is highly recommended that you keep hotel receipts with both of your names showing you have met her face-to-face in the last two years along with boarding passes for any flights you've made together. Pictures, letters, emails, phone bills, all help a great deal.

Buy a book called, "Fiancé & Marriage Visas, A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration" by Nolo press. It explains your options and the process in detail, so the information and forms you get from USCIS make a lot more sense.

Finally, don't every lie on the application or in the interview.

Good luck!

Finally, don't every lie on the application or in the interview.

Good luck!

I gotta agree with that, and its worth repeatin." Don't ever lie on the application or at the interview"

Those who try to bring back Susie Massage girl or Sally Bar Maid maybe should take that into consideration. I'm not knocking these ladies, but it might be tougher IMHO. Maybe better left unsaid or left off resume. But there are questions of moral character.

Only you know your lady and if its love or an exit ticket outta Thailand. But considering the life of some of the ladies they might love you even more for taking them outta their backgrounds :o

My wife had a good background also, but from advice from folks some years past, we choose to go K-1. It wasn't a difficult process, just a gathering of financial records and birth certificate on my end.

My wife to be, did notice many applicants being rejected. She felt it was the way they presented themselves through dress and mannerisms. She, ever the conservative, wore a business suit and spent less time getting approved at the interview than those being rejected. The interviewer questioned her in English for the most part rather than Thai.

I don't know how others have fared, but she felt it was rather easy. The hassle was the back and forth from Chiang Mai to BKK.

I do have an acquaintance who worked outta the embassy who married a civilian employee at the embassy in BKK. Needless to say there was no problem with getting their visa. :o

Thanks, I really should have noted that we were not planning to use the tourist visa to get married here. The tourist visa for 'her' was to be used for a visit here to the USA only. We are planning on a marriage or fiancee visa to get married.

Thanks, I really should have noted that we were not planning to use the tourist visa to get married here. The tourist visa for 'her' was to be used for a visit here to the USA only. We are planning on a marriage or fiancee visa to get married.

I can not recommend strongly enough that you should try to bring her over on a tourist visa first - so she can see what living in the US is about. I have done both - brought a Thai lady over on a K-1 fiance visa, married, and it was a disaster. Now I am happily married to Thai wife no. 2. I brought her to the US on a tourist visa (difficult, but doable) and when we returned, we married and decided to stay in Thailand. We are very happy, and travel frequently to the US - she always on a tourist visa. Once you successfully travel to the US via a tourist visa, subsequent trips are a piece of cake. There are tricks (for lack of a better word) in successfully securing a tourist visa. It's getting the right US consulate officer, having your girlfriend present in a orderly fashion the evidence that is relevant, and for her to be confident.

Do not get married in the USA if your "visitor" is on a tourist visa. You will only screw things up, maybe forever, if you do this. Visas are issued based upon trust derived from evidence presented to the embassy/consulate. Violate that trust and things will be very hard in the foreseeable future. Marrying on a tourist visa, when a relationship exists before the issuance of the visa constitutes an intentional attempt to circumvent the immigration laws of the USA in the eyes of Immigration and they will take action on that.

Also, keep in mind that receiving a visa does not guarantee entry into the country. Immigration at the port of entry has every right to refuse entry and send someone back if they sense anything not quite right.

My wife and I went through the K-1 process in 2004 and she is now a US citizen. The process does work if you are patient, cooperative, pay close attention to the paperwork submissions and realize that they (Immigration) are in total control and you must do everything they ask....and with politeness.

My wife and I can now come and go in the USA as we please and not have to worry about maintaining permanent residency etc.

Good luck and don't take any shortcuts. FYI...as mentioned earlier you can have a full fledged Thai wedding and still qualify your girl as a Fiancee as long as you do not register the marriage with the Thai government (local Ampur). This is done all the time.

Good luck!

Martian

Edited by Martian

I would like to reinforce what previous posters (Martian, etc.) have stated about avoiding shortcuts and being honest. You should either get married, and then apply for a spouse visa, or apply for a fiance visa, and get married when she arrives in the US (forget about the tourist visa).

For the sake of laying it all out there, I would like to mention that is also possible to file your application for a spouse visa in Thailand. The process is much faster (it is processed nearly as fast as you can collect the necessary documents). In our case it took two months from filing the petition until our application was approved. The catch... you (the USC) must continuously reside in Thailand for at least 6 mos. - 1 year before you can file the petition on behalf of your wife. In this case, you must have a work permit, or an appropriate long term visa to stay in Thailand.

Your loved one may be able to enter the US quicker if you file in the US (because of the minimum 6 mos. -1 yr residency requirement). The obvious advantage of choosing the route above is that you and your loved one can be together during the whole process.

This might not be an option for you, but at least you have the information.

Get a fiancee visa. As soon as you get in the U.S. get married.

Thai marriages don't really mean much to the US officials.

I got married in Vegas. License and ceremony. Its legal, official, cheap, an no hassels. If I were to get married in L.A. we needed blood tests, etc. And the cost was like $300 for the license. In Vegas license was like $55 and the ceremony at the marriage bureau was another $50 or $55.

My bad... I shouldn't have dismissed the tourist visa for you out right. If you simply want her to visit the USA, then it sounds like a tourist visa is appropriate. As venturalaw noted, exposing your fiancee to the US before jumping into something permanent can be beneficial... just don't take any short cuts with regards to immigration.

The US embassy in Bangkok had no problems with the documentation for my properly certified marriage to my Thai wife here in Thailand. We used these documents along with the English translations to get her 10 year tourist visa with no problems. We reside in Thailand and can now travel to US as needed, one trip so far. US officials have no problem with marriages in Thailand.

Keg

Just don't get confused about Thai marriages. Yes, the US recognizes REGISTERED Thai marriages but this also disqualifies you from seeking a K-1 (Fiancee) visa. It does qualify you for a K-3 (Spouse visa).

If you get married in Thailand and DON'T REGISTER then it is vice versa........the US does not recognize the marriage and you do still qualify for a K-1 Visa but not a K-3.

I too see that a tourist visa might meet your requirements if you can get it, just don't harbor any thoughts of getting married. You might also have to convince the Immigration agent(s) at the port of entry that you two have absolutely no intention of marrying, they can be the toughest to convince.

Good luck!

Martian

This is false. Thai marriages are recognized the same as US marriages. Apparently its much cheaper than marrying in Vegas too!

A marriage in Thailand is legal but... The documents have to be authenticated by a counsular oficer and forwarded to office of the attorney general. Marriage is a state jurisdiction not a federal jurisdiction.

It can help if you need a visa to visit the U.S. or other countries abroad because it proves she's your wife. But it is mush easier and simpler to get a U.S. license and certificate when in the U.S. if you guys plan on living in the U.S. It makes it much easier to get identification, open bank accounts, life insurance, social security claims, etc. using the local state certificates and licenses instead of the Thai ones. You just need more proof and and an extra step of authentication and translation via the counsular if you plan to use the Thai certificate.

Also if I plan to take my wife to to another country by applying for a visa using the U.S. marriage certificate seems to be more credible overseas than using the Thai certificates.

When I was at the U.S. embassy for my wife's K-1 I saw couples just get grilled (and one couple declined) by the interviewer even though they were married in Thailand. So I was already predisposed of Thai marriages at the start.

Hey a marriage in Vegas is only $100 bucks and the two of you can have a good time while there.

This is false. Thai marriages are recognized the same as US marriages. Apparently its much cheaper than marrying in Vegas too!

A marriage in Thailand is legal but... The documents have to be authenticated by a counsular oficer and forwarded to office of the attorney general. Marriage is a state jurisdiction not a federal jurisdiction.

It can help if you need a visa to visit the U.S. or other countries abroad because it proves she's your wife. But it is mush easier and simpler to get a U.S. license and certificate when in the U.S. if you guys plan on living in the U.S. It makes it much easier to get identification, open bank accounts, life insurance, social security claims, etc. using the local state certificates and licenses instead of the Thai ones. You just need more proof and and an extra step of authentication and translation via the counsular if you plan to use the Thai certificate.

Also if I plan to take my wife to to another country by applying for a visa using the U.S. marriage certificate seems to be more credible overseas than using the Thai certificates.

When I was at the U.S. embassy for my wife's K-1 I saw couples just get grilled (and one couple declined) by the interviewer even though they were married in Thailand. So I was already predisposed of Thai marriages at the start.

Hey a marriage in Vegas is only $100 bucks and the two of you can have a good time while there.

A Thai marriage is good if your partner wants to immigrate to the US... and its not a huge burden. The bottom line is, if the OP and his partner want to be together during the process, they should not be frightened of the prospect of needing to jump through a few small hoops in the future...

Quite frankly, mdechgan's credibility was seriously eroded by his first post in this topic, and I am skeptical about his claim that a Thai marriage makes more difficult to get identification, open bank accounts, etc.

A marriage in Thailand is FREE!

• 2 weeks later...

A Thai marriage is good if your partner wants to immigrate to the US... and its not a huge burden. The bottom line is, if the OP and his partner want to be together during the process, they should not be frightened of the prospect of needing to jump through a few small hoops in the future...

Quite frankly, mdechgan's credibility was seriously eroded by his first post in this topic, and I am skeptical about his claim that a Thai marriage makes more difficult to get identification, open bank accounts, etc.

A marriage in Thailand is FREE!

I agree. A marriage in Thailand is valid in the US. Furthermore, I have never heard of the necessity of bringing one's marriage license (US or from another country) into a financial institution to open a joint account, or in applying for life insurance. Lastly, the comment by mdechigan that "Marriage is a state jurisdiction not a federal jurisdiction" makes no sense. In the US marriage licensing is based upon state law, however, a marriage in Thailand is legal even though Thailand does not have individual 'states' per se.