Sunday Supermarket Safari Leads To...

Michaelaway

:o

Pt I-

Ok, so it's Sunday in Pattaya, and my lovely girlfriend and I left Jomtien Beach on the motorbike this morning to venture into Pattaya, to Villa Market, for a quick shopping spree. Then, after that, the plan was to return to Jomtien and relax for the day, and I would be free to create something masterful and delicious in the kitchen (luckily, my sweetheart loves my farang cooking).

Being an American sort of farang, I picked up some basics: French baguette, bagels, Norwegian smoked salmon, New Zealand cheddar, Spanish olives & olive oil, spicy V-8 juice, etc. (Hey! I come from a melting pot!) Then, as I looked into the meat case, I noticed they were selling Ground Round, as well as the regular hamburger. Well, it set me back 250 baht for a kilo, but when I got home, and for the first time in the three years that I've lived in Pattaya, I was able to make seriously delicious cheeseburgers with melted cheddar on baguette that we both enjoyed.

I mean, all (and I really do mean all!) the hamburger that I've bought & brought home to cook in three years in Pattaya has tasted well, not-so-great, 'ya know? And I'm pretty good in the kitchen... and I'm pretty good with hamburger. And I'm really not sure what it is, either: the fat content, what they feed the cows... who knows?? But I can tell you what- Villa Market's ground round is A-1/top cabin/good for your at-home, hamburger-cooking needs, no kidding!! Great flavor, perfect texture. Maybe it is the fat content, I don't know- anyone please feel free to comment!!

PT II-

Anyway, after a revelationary (is that actually a word? anyone please feel free to comment!!) find like that, the only thing for a man's man; a manly man; an educated man; an enlightened man; and a free thinker like me to do on a Sunday was: get on home and create something delicious for your family. Here, on this particular Sunday in Jomtien, that's me, my girlfriend, 1 Englishman, 1 Irishman, another American, a French woman and another Thai lady. No problem for this recipe!

So, now it's time for... drum roll here, please... trumpet fanfare now, please...

THE RECIPE OF THE DAY

And it's called:
Villa Stuffed Meatloaf

Ingredients:

Meat mixture:

.75 Kilos (1 1/2 lbs.) Ground Round

3 cloves fresh garlic, minced

2-3 small Thai red or green chili's- seeded, de-ribbed & finely chopped

1 onion, small diced

1 egg

1 single serving box, Kellogg's Corn Flakes (only the contents, ok?)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro

3 tbsp finely chopped basil

6-8 shitake muchrooms, washed and small diced

1-2 tbsp sesame oil (optional) (actually, this whole recipe is optional...)

Stuffing:

4 potatoes

1 stick of butter

50-100 gms. New Zealand cheddar cheese, shredded or grated

3/4-all of 1 small 7-11 pasteurized milk (the smallest plastic bottle-size)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2-6 cloves roasted garlic (hope you've got some; it's really good)

Directions:

Peel, cube and boil the potatoes for the stuffing in salted water. When the potatoes are soft & mashable, drain 'em and mash with the other stuffing ingredients. Use as much of the plastic bottle of milk as you need for the consistency (of mashed potatoes) you prefer. After mashing & mixing all ingredients well, taste first and adjust before setting aside.

Now, in a large bowl, mix the meat mixture ingredients well (I suggest you do this by hand, gently, without crushing the mixture). After mixing, fold out of the bowl onto the counter atop a large aluminium sheet. Now, flatten the entire blob gently down into a large, flat, oval pancake-shape. Take the potato stuffing and place atop the open meat mixture pancake down the center, in the form of a torpedo.

Next, carefully pull up all the sides of the meat mixture around the potato stuffing. What you wanna do is cover the stuffing completely, resulting in a meat loaf sealed around the inner potato stuffing.

Flatten another, larger piece of aluminium foil on the kitchen counter. Being as careful as necessary, and holding the edges of the aluminium under the meatloaf, transfer the loaf onto the new, larger sheet by slowly rolling it so that it ends up with the seam side facing downwards on the new, large aluminium sheet. Once this is done, center the meatloaf on the foil and pull up and fold the foil around the meatloaf so that it is securely sealed. You don't want anything to escape from the foil during cooking! Try to create a tightly sealed tent around the meatloat wherein the steam can move around.

Carefully place the securely sealed foil tent containing the meatloaf on a pan and place in the middle of the oven. Cook for 1 hour at 200 degrees. Remove from oven. Slit the foil on top of the meatloaf down the middle, lengthwise, and fold back to open (be careful here, very hot inside!!) Return to oven and cook to brown/crisp-up the top for a while, maybe 15-30 minutes. Keep checking your creation! Then, remove the meatlaof from the oven. Let sit for about 15 minutes.

To serve, slice the meatloaf like a jelly roll, yule log, or whatever and enjoy!! We made a salad and garlic bread to go with our's..

And that's today's recipe of the day, hope you like it!!

:D

:o

Pt I-

Ok, so it's Sunday in Pattaya, and my lovely girlfriend and I left Jomtien Beach on the motorbike this morning to venture into Pattaya, to Villa Market, for a quick shopping spree. Then, after that, the plan was to return to Jomtien and relax for the day, and I would be free to create something masterful and delicious in the kitchen (luckily, my sweetheart loves my farang cooking).

Being an American sort of farang, I picked up some basics: French baguette, bagels, Norwegian smoked salmon, New Zealand cheddar, Spanish olives & olive oil, spicy V-8 juice, etc. (Hey! I come from a melting pot!) Then, as I looked into the meat case, I noticed they were selling Ground Round, as well as the regular hamburger. Well, it set me back 250 baht for a kilo, but when I got home, and for the first time in the three years that I've lived in Pattaya, I was able to make seriously delicious cheeseburgers with melted cheddar on baguette that we both enjoyed.

I mean, all (and I really do mean all!) the hamburger that I've bought & brought home to cook in three years in Pattaya has tasted well, not-so-great, 'ya know? And I'm pretty good in the kitchen... and I'm pretty good with hamburger. And I'm really not sure what it is, either: the fat content, what they feed the cows... who knows?? But I can tell you what- Villa Market's ground round is A-1/top cabin/good for your at-home, hamburger-cooking needs, no kidding!! Great flavor, perfect texture. Maybe it is the fat content, I don't know- anyone please feel free to comment!!

PT II-

Anyway, after a revelationary (is that actually a word? anyone please feel free to comment!!) find like that, the only thing for a man's man; a manly man; an educated man; an enlightened man; and a free thinker like me to do on a Sunday was: get on home and create something delicious for your family. Here, on this particular Sunday in Jomtien, that's me, my girlfriend, 1 Englishman, 1 Irishman, another American, a French woman and another Thai lady. No problem for this recipe!

So, now it's time for... drum roll here, please... trumpet fanfare now, please...

THE RECIPE OF THE DAY

And it's called:
Villa Stuffed Meatloaf

Ingredients:

Meat mixture:

.75 Kilos (1 1/2 lbs.) Ground Round

3 cloves fresh garlic, minced

2-3 small Thai red or green chili's- seeded, de-ribbed & finely chopped

1 onion, small diced

1 egg

1 single serving box, Kellogg's Corn Flakes (only the contents, ok?)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro

3 tbsp finely chopped basil

6-8 shitake muchrooms, washed and small diced

1-2 tbsp sesame oil (optional) (actually, this whole recipe is optional...)

Stuffing:

4 potatoes

1 stick of butter

50-100 gms. New Zealand cheddar cheese, shredded or grated

3/4-all of 1 small 7-11 pasteurized milk (the smallest plastic bottle-size)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2-6 cloves roasted garlic (hope you've got some; it's really good)

Directions:

Peel, cube and boil the potatoes for the stuffing in salted water. When the potatoes are soft & mashable, drain 'em and mash with the other stuffing ingredients. Use as much of the plastic bottle of milk as you need for the consistency (of mashed potatoes) you prefer. After mashing & mixing all ingredients well, taste first and adjust before setting aside.

Now, in a large bowl, mix the meat mixture ingredients well (I suggest you do this by hand, gently, without crushing the mixture). After mixing, fold out of the bowl onto the counter atop a large aluminium sheet. Now, flatten the entire blob gently down into a large, flat, oval pancake-shape. Take the potato stuffing and place atop the open meat mixture pancake down the center, in the form of a torpedo.

Next, carefully pull up all the sides of the meat mixture around the potato stuffing. What you wanna do is cover the stuffing completely, resulting in a meat loaf sealed around the inner potato stuffing.

Flatten another, larger piece of aluminium foil on the kitchen counter. Being as careful as necessary, and holding the edges of the aluminium under the meatloaf, transfer the loaf onto the new, larger sheet by slowly rolling it so that it ends up with the seam side facing downwards on the new, large aluminium sheet. Once this is done, center the meatloaf on the foil and pull up and fold the foil around the meatloaf so that it is securely sealed. You don't want anything to escape from the foil during cooking! Try to create a tightly sealed tent around the meatloat wherein the steam can move around.

Carefully place the securely sealed foil tent containing the meatloaf on a pan and place in the middle of the oven. Cook for 1 hour at 200 degrees. Remove from oven. Slit the foil on top of the meatloaf down the middle, lengthwise, and fold back to open (be careful here, very hot inside!!) Return to oven and cook to brown/crisp-up the top for a while, maybe 15-30 minutes. Keep checking your creation! Then, remove the meatlaof from the oven. Let sit for about 15 minutes.

To serve, slice the meatloaf like a jelly roll, yule log, or whatever and enjoy!! We made a salad and garlic bread to go with our's..

And that's today's recipe of the day, hope you like it!!

:D

Tks for the recipe - look forward to trying it....