Visa-run Or Extension In The Immigration?

Hello,

my friend, who is working in the same office, will finish his internship (3 months) soon. He got a 1 year non-immigrant visa type ED with multiple re-entries. His internship, work-permit and first 90 days will end at the same day (somewhen next week), but he wants to stay in Thailand for 3-4 weeks more to travel with his parents.

• Does he need to do a visa-run or can he simply extend his visa for another 90 days in the Immigration Office?
  • If not, is there a possiblity to simply get a new tourist visa for some weeks in the Immigration Office?

He simply wants to avoid the visa-run if possible due to his tight schedule. When I had to extend my visa (same as above) after the first 90 days I simply went to the Immigration Office, but had to submit a letter of my University in Bangkok that I am a regular student here (I am studying here in Bangkok), so we are not sure, if he needs a similar letter.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It sounds like he has a multipe entry ED visa. It it takes less than a day (leave in the morning and back in the afternoon) to make a border run to get another 90 days and that can be done on weekends.

He might be able to get an extension at immigration with documentation from the school.

No type of visa is issued by immigration. Visas can only be gotten at embassies/consulates.

Hi ubonjoe,

not sure about the first point, I only know that is a Non-Immigrant Visa Type "ED" for 1 year with multiple re-entries. Anyways, he does not has any letter from a University, as he is actually studying in Germany but came here for the internship (while I am studying at a Thai University).

Is the tourist visa only possible with a visa-run or can it be issued here in Bangkok at the Immigration Office?

Hi ubonjoe,

not sure about the first point, I only know that is a Non-Immigrant Visa Type "ED" for 1 year with multiple re-entries. Anyways, he does not has any letter from a University, as he is actually studying in Germany but came here for the internship (while I am studying at a Thai University).

Is the tourist visa only possible with a visa-run or can it be issued here in Bangkok at the Immigration Office?

A tourist visa can only be issued at a Thai Consulate in another country.

If he has multi entry visa he can do a border run and get another 90 days stay.

It is not possible to get a visa here you have to leave and go to a consulate or embassy.

I think he is on a multiple entry visa which is what you are calling multiple re-entry.

All he has to do is make a quick trip to the Cambodia re-enter Thailand and he will get another 90 days.

Thank you guys!

The "quick trip" is the problem: As far as we know the visa-runs available leave Bangkok in the morning and will be back here in the evening. Therefore he would loose one day. So considering that he probably has to do the visa-run we were thinking about two options:

- A visa-run leaving Bangkok in the afternoon or later: Do you know if there are any availbe?

- Renting an own car to do the visa-run in the afternoon or later: Do you have any experiences with that?

Check till what date his visa is valid, not the stamp he recieved when entering Thailand. When it is valid for one year since he received the visa it is a multiple non-ED and he only needs to cross the border into another country and return to Thailand to recieve another 90 days.

Thank you guys!

The "quick trip" is the problem: As far as we know the visa-runs available leave Bangkok in the morning and will be back here in the evening. Therefore he would loose one day. So considering that he probably has to do the visa-run we were thinking about two options:

- A visa-run leaving Bangkok in the afternoon or later: Do you know if there are any availbe?

- Renting an own car to do the visa-run in the afternoon or later: Do you have any experiences with that?

The most important thing when living in another country is your Immigration Status. If it means losing a day to sort it out so be it. If you are not legal you cannot stay .

You can cross border 7 days a week until 8 PM. That means you probaly need to be there by 6 PM to cross get Cambodia visa and return before 8 PM.

The latest organized border run that I know of leaves at 9:30 AM.

You can make the trip on your own if you wish.