Red Shirts Threaten To Blockade Government House On Saturday

george

Nirmal Gosh's Straights Times Blog entry on this demonstration:

http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2009/2/1/red...d-strong-signal

"...At no point was there the threat that things would go out of control, partly because none of the reds was armed in the manner that the PAD ''guards'' were last year. So there was little provocation. And the reds retained the moral high ground by not invading Government House as the PAD had done – a factor crucial to their public image."

Exactly, the "people" are fed up of PAD/Yellow street protests, that mess up the roads on WEEKDAYS, and SHUT DOWN AIRPORTS and other things that inconvenience them.

We all know the PAD did this to deliberatly upset the masses, force them to want change and accept the defact coup and appointing of a Democrat government.

Now, the UDD must be clever, and not upset the "people", and show people demonstrations on WEEKENDS, and show people they have a voice, and can demonstrate against the "elite" who are now behind the present government, and do so in a legal way, with non-violence and not breaking laws.

The international media will keep on reporting, as many of their reporters/mags have been threatened or charged or had publications suspended, by the "elite" controlling the Democrats coalition.

Therefore they will be more than happy to report on "Thai politcal turmoil" so the reds know they can always get "good press" coverage.

Keep up the good tactics red shirts........people will soon realise how bad the PAD were, and that they did things to make life hard for normal Thai people, in a deliberate fashion without any worrys or concerns......KNOWING that the Democrats who appear to sponsor them will not charge them or arrest them.

The only reason why the red shirts only protest in week end is very simply. They can not gatter enough supporters to continue a demonstrating for months like the PAD did. Yesterday I had some chat with a Thaksin supporter in Udon. She said that the red shirts are not correct this moment by attacking monks, attacking peoples privat property. She said red shirt don't behave like Thai people. Also she told me that in Udon you must be very careful to talk about politics because you risk to be molestated. She said the country should give the new government a change. I emphazise that this is comming from a Thaksin supporter who still believe that Thaksin is an honourable man.

This only shows that the red shirts don't have a great support at all from the common Thai.

And they know this very well, that's why they are only able to organize some mini demonstration with no effect ate all.

"The dogs bark, and the caravan continue his way"

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only reason why the red shirts only protest in week end is very simply. They can not gatter enough supporters to continue a demonstrating for months like the PAD did.

Of course not. People can't give up months of their time, however much they might approve of a cause. They have jobs to do, harvests to gather, punters to service.

The fact that a grass roots support base works for a living, (rather than being, for example, Grannies with oodles of spare time), in no way undermines them.

Why not get out into the country and see for yourself. Someone is footing the bill in Buri Ram, where Newin is either loved or hated depending on which district you're in. As I posted before, 500 baht for a banner waver in the front, 200 for a foot clapper waver in the back. Someone arranged for Khorat registered pickup trucks to take them to Bangkok, so as to avoid the checkpoints. As I also posted, some of those who went had recently come back from the PAD protests, changing sides for money. Next time I'd hide in the bushes with my video camera and film it for you, but I don't think I'd last too long if the red thugs caught me.

Anecdotal evidence is no proof. And thanks, i often get out "into the country".

I have enough similar anecdotal evidence that individual groups of people on both sides do get paid by local networks. I have not seen yet any proof that this is happening on a scale large enough that this would warrant any of the allegations you and your friends come up as an answer to discredit the people who chose a side you did not.

Neither does getting paid proof anything beyond that people get money. It does not prove that these people have no convictions of their own, for whatever side they are rooting.

Bring irrefutable evidence from independent sources (that does not mean ASTV) that such is happening on a large scale.

People on both sides, paid or not, are convinced of their cause. That is a fact, supported by evidence such as interviews, articles and studies more numerous than we can list here.

People on Yellow are an undemocratic bunch of terrorists, and foreigners who support them are a sad joke because they ignore the blatant racism of Yellow. That is my opinion.

See the difference?

20.000 protesters at 500 Baht each are 10.000.000 Baht.

Considering 76.000.000.000 frozen only in Thailand.

Alone that 76.000.000.000 would allow 20 years of this demonstrations (every day). Most probably there is also money frozen in UK and Switzerland and most probably there is some money available in Hongkong and Singapore. Recently one of his kids bought an expensive property in Hongkong. So I think there is money enough to pay them.

Proof is not what you imagine to be so, it has to be supported by more than your imagination.

Where is your proof?

Alone that 76.000.000.000 would allow 20 years of this demonstrations (every day). Most probably there is also money frozen in UK and Switzerland and most probably there is some money available in Hongkong and Singapore. Recently one of his kids bought an expensive property in Hongkong. So I think there is money enough to pay them.

Proof is not what you imagine to be so, it has to be supported by more than your imagination.

Where is your proof?

proof for what? For the mathematics?

The only reason why the red shirts only protest in week end is very simply. They can not gatter enough supporters to continue a demonstrating for months like the PAD did.

Of course not. People can't give up months of their time, however much they might approve of a cause. They have jobs to do, harvests to gather, punters to service.

The fact that a grass roots support base works for a living, (rather than being, for example, Grannies with oodles of spare time), in no way undermines them.

this Saturday there were 20.000 to max. 30.000 people. Not really an uprising. when you compare with the D-days (so stupid that word is) from the PAD.

Where is your proof?

proof for what? For the mathematics?

Do you try to tell us that because you can count your fingers, this is proof for your assumption that all these Red Shirts are "hired"?

:o

No, to make it simple: I want sound evidence that supports your assumption, and not just hearsay.

So what happens next?

Red Shirts have given the government 15 days to take action against PAD and Suthep has already stated that the PAD leader Kasit, will remain the foriegn minister. The investigation into the PAD is still "on going"... LOL.... Wait, wasn't Suthep also involved with the PAD.... Round and round we go....

Are the red shirts bluffing or do they really have the stomachs and courage to take the government house?

this Saturday there were 20.000 to max. 30.000 people. Not really an uprising. when you compare with the D-days (so stupid that word is) from the PAD.

Unless, you are with the UDD, where the numbers ballooned to 100,000... :o:D

BANGKOK, Jan 31 (TNA) - The pro-Thaksin United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) said on Saturday that up to 100,000 red-clad demonstrators are expected to join its mass rally and encircle Government House in the evening.

So what happens next?

Red Shirts have given the government 15 days to take action against PAD and Suthep has already stated that the PAD leader Kasit, will remain the foriegn minister. The investigation into the PAD is still "on going"... LOL.... Wait, wasn't Suthep also involved with the PAD.... Round and round we go....

Are the red shirts bluffing or do they really have the stomachs and courage to take the government house?

Are the red shirts bluffing or do they really have the stomachs and courage to take the airports?

^Why not? The Grannies did, and apparently, its legal.

If they fail, they can spin it that they were repelled by massed army/police lines who bullied them.

The grannies didn't "take" the airport. They went out there to give PM Somchai a rousing reception. Airport authorities took one look at the numbers, panicked and closed operations. The grannies found themselves occupying the landside of an airport, courtesy of airport authorities. New situation: What do we do now? The grannies stayed put and were joined by more. Police had no idea what to do. Other PAD decided Don Mueang was up for grabs, too. Much dithering, a few grenades, fisticuffs with cabdrivers and others, cabinet cowering in Chiangmai - the rest is history. Suvarnabhumi is off limits to UDD. That's all been done. No more surprise factor. I wonder if they're planning to go and "welcome back" Abhisit from Davos??

^ interesting excerpt...

The excitement seemed to mount then, and at the stroke of midnight Nattawut let out a roar and the truck he was on – and the crowd – surged forward and toppled the fence just a few feet in front of us. We turned and ran helter skelter to avoid being caught in the surge.

Ramming down fences with large trucks while policemen and others are standing nearby.... good to see Red Shirts still using their typical well-thought-out thinking...

So what happens next?

The real demand is the new elections.

The reds are backed by non-Newin PTP MPs in the Isaan want this soon as they see competative advantage in the Isaan being lost to Newin. For several years now there ahs been a power and territory play going on in the Isaan between Newin and other pwoer brokers and at every turn both under PPP and now out of PTP Newin has come out on top. The MP opponents of him up there are worried that their power will decrease dfastically vis-a-vis his if this government stay arould long and so even though they dont agree with the ultimate destination of the red ideologues they are onside in supporting fianacially and with their "people" to try and achieve an election. No doubt some fo the PTP Northern factions also send some support although they dont face the same immediate challenges as their Isaan compatriates.

As for the red ideologues, they want a PTP government as it will owe them and they will have a big voice and some control which no doubt they think will help them with their objectives.

Edited to add: The red ideologues also do not wan that they see as an establishment party like the Dems holding power for long and having the opportunity to show they are not the evil that they have been painted in many rural areas. They also dont want Newin to have a period of time to mess with them. They have already lost some areas, organisation and support because of this and going up against a master tactician in the Isaan is not going to be easy for them. Another question is why are the majotrity of the left in Thailand now not on the reds side - something which few are aware of.

By the way on the question of paid demonstrators, every large demo has them. Period.

Edited by hammered

Why not get out into the country and see for yourself. Someone is footing the bill in Buri Ram, where Newin is either loved or hated depending on which district you're in. As I posted before, 500 baht for a banner waver in the front, 200 for a foot clapper waver in the back. Someone arranged for Khorat registered pickup trucks to take them to Bangkok, so as to avoid the checkpoints. As I also posted, some of those who went had recently come back from the PAD protests, changing sides for money. Next time I'd hide in the bushes with my video camera and film it for you, but I don't think I'd last too long if the red thugs caught me.

Anecdotal evidence is no proof. And thanks, i often get out "into the country".

I have enough similar anecdotal evidence that individual groups of people on both sides do get paid by local networks. I have not seen yet any proof that this is happening on a scale large enough that this would warrant any of the allegations you and your friends come up as an answer to discredit the people who chose a side you did not.

Neither does getting paid proof anything beyond that people get money. It does not prove that these people have no convictions of their own, for whatever side they are rooting.

Bring irrefutable evidence from independent sources (that does not mean ASTV) that such is happening on a large scale.

People on both sides, paid or not, are convinced of their cause. That is a fact, supported by evidence such as interviews, articles and studies more numerous than we can list here.

People on Yellow are an undemocratic bunch of terrorists, and foreigners who support them are a sad joke because they ignore the blatant racism of Yellow. That is my opinion.

See the difference?

If you took your head out of the sand it might help you to breathe easier and then you wouldn't get so riled. Your response is typical of many of the Thaksin loving, red shirt sucking brigade. Someone points out a fact that he saw for himself, not heresay, not information from a friend of a friend, but as an eye witness, and you refuse to believe it happened and start making personal attacks on supporters of the current government, going on about terrorists, racists and sad jokes. Just because you don't think it could happen doesn't mean that it hasn't. I've no doubt that the leaders on both sides are convinced of their cause, and many of the protestors are also sincere, but many more are along for the ride, and the money.

There's a good Straits Times article/blog here:

Straits Times

A sensationalist blog from the mouthpiece of a democracy stifling dictatorship. Nirmal Ghosh has been the Straits Times's man in Bangkok for a number of years now, reporting with as much objectivity as Jonathon Head. When you think how much benefit Singapore got from Thaksin it's no surprise why its propaganda rag is so pro red.

Government rejects UDD demands

Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban on Sunday dismissed an ultimatum by protesters who demanded the government step down by Feb 15. Mr Suthep said that supporters of ousted premier Thaksin were free to demonstrate again, but insisted the new Democrat Party-led government would stay in office. "This is not the time for the dissolution of parliament," he told reporters. "People want the government to go ahead with administering the country." Protest leaders say they will return to the streets in 15 days unless Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya and other figures linked to the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) airport blockade last year are prosecuted. They also called for the dissolution of parliament, new elections and the reinstatement of the 1997 constitution. "The demand to bring back the 1997 constitution within 15 days, it is impossible," said Suthep.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1361...cts-udd-demands

=========================================================

more of the same typical Red Shirt well-thought-out thinking...

Thanks for the article from the Straits Times. It's good to see some fair-minded journalism instead of the yellow cattle feed one gets from the Thai press.

it's also beneficial to get the insider's look of just how dangerously reckless the Red Shirts get... was Nattawut looking to add vehicular homicide to his charges list?

Edited by sriracha john

It is rather moronic of the Reds to think the democratic constitution of 1997 is going to be supported by the Yellows who are presently gourging themselves at the trough and oblivious to any talk of elections, etc. They'd be better off letting the Abhisit government extinguish itself over the next few months.