Thailands Growing Reputation

I received my monthly statement this week from my Australian Financial Institution I always keep tabs on my account balance on line but apparently the law in Aus stipulates they must send me one.

Anyway enclosed with my statement was a letter informing be of increased fraudelent activity in Thailand ,card skimming etc.

The advice was for me to close my Visa ccount immmediatly and just have money transferred to a Thai bank. Currently I draw down from an ATM always inside a bank.

So Thailand takes another hit on the tourism and credibilty front. My daughter 2 years ago had her card skimmed in Nong Khai. The bank refunded her when she returned after about 2 mths of negotiation.

The bank also informed that if I fail to close the account responsibilty for any losses MAY rest with me. A rather ominous warning.

Get another bank. Looks like this Aussie bank will be going down with the rest.

When you say the rest , you mean Australian Banks ?? To my knowledge none have capitulated as yet and while the economy has stalled the Gov has stated there is not a problem in them providing support sdhould it be needed I mean we have to trust someone sometime. I know there have been many reports of so many tourists experiencing problems with credit cards in Phuket ,Pataya etc mainly in shops where the carsd are swiped out the back. I think its more the banks covering their backsides