Cheers Beer.

Moonrakers

Haven't tried Cheers, but I'll take the numerous posts to heart that say it's crap and pass on it.

There's something about Leo that doesn't agree with me. If I drink any more than 2 small ones, I suffer with a headache all of the next day. However, I can do a few small Changs will no ill effects. Don't think I'd take the chance of drinking any more than a few Thai beers any evening, though.

As for Heineken and Federbrau, almost flavourless.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ASEAN free trade agreement is ever implemented Beer Lao will bury the Thai beers.

Exactly! I think they have even more to fear from the ABC brand from Cambodia, their stout is surprisingly good! I predict Thailand will find some way to weasel out of the trade agreement when it comes to beer, they know they'll have to close all the Thai breweries immediately!

I gave up on beer here long ago, the Thai whiskeys are a better choice and are at least drinkable with a mixer.

Anyone tested CHEERS E-Xtra - 500 ml red Can yet?

I've been searching for Cheers Extra night and day for the last twelve months and have never seen it on sale.

Where can you get it?

Family Marts to sell it on Samui... on some reason not available at all branches - makes one wonder...

Tesco/Lotus had it... seems to be a supply problem..

Edited by Samuian

Couldn't said it better myself :) . Why is the Thai beer market is so limited?

One word springs to my mind, 'corruption' or am I being cynical?

Personally I drink Leo because I am a stingy git.

Heineken tastes sweet to me.

Chang makes me piss the bed and gives me a deathly hangover.

Cheers! The only good thing about cheers is the tight pvc dresses that the promotion girls wear in some of the local restaurants.

Cheers extra - had one can to supplement my normal leo one night and I had the hangover from hel_l the next day and threw up my breakfast.

Give me Tetley's or John Smiths anyday (even boddies will do) but it is simply not as available as it used to be, plus being a stingy git, it is too expensive.

Couldn't said it better myself :) . Why is the Thai beer market is so limited?

One word springs to my mind, 'corruption' or am I being cynical?

Personally I drink Leo because I am a stingy git.

Heineken tastes sweet to me.

Cheers! The only good thing about cheers is the tight pvc dresses that the promotion girls wear in some of the local restaurants.

Cheers extra - had one can to supplement my normal leo one night and I had the hangover from hel_l the next day and threw up my breakfast.

Give me Tetley's or John Smiths anyday (even boddies will do) but it is simply not as available as it used to be, plus being a stingy git, it is too expensive.

Who wrote Cheers Extra was brewed for candy-asses, wimps and mollycoddles...?

John Smith's the Yorkshire p... is currently brewed by Heineken....

and this Leeds brew by Carlsberg..

It seems Leo is very popular. So does anyone know why you can rarely get it/or is not popular in the tourist areas or even Bangkok, Sukhumvit area?

John.....

I would probably guess that they want to sell the more expensive 'premium beers' to tourists. Either that or they do actually think that foreigners wont like Thai beers, a lot of Thai's still think that we only eat bread.

Anyone tested CHEERS E-Xtra - 500 ml red Can yet?

I've been searching for Cheers Extra night and day for the last twelve months and have never seen it on sale.

Where can you get it?

Makro Nakon Sawan had it on sale today. :)

Have you noticed that if you return to the U.K. after many months of drinking Thai lager beer and then hit the draught bitter your bowels just totally collapse?

I think the shock of the yeasty bitter is too much.

for local brewed beer i like asahi as it tastes like it has far less chemicals than the rest ,archa is next as it is a little less in quality than asahi but the rest of the local brew singa,leo,cheers,chang and heineken have far too much of a chemical aftertaste.

but i am only just presuming asahi had a license to brew locally in thailand, otherwise it doesnt leave much of a choice for locally brewed beer

Edited by humbug

• 10 months later...

Leo is the king of loso beers. The expats favourite. Best domestic beer.

Chang is too strong, punishing the next day.

Singha is drinkable, but has a bitter after taste.

Cheers should be taken off the market. Terrible.

Thai Heineken is not Heineken. Expensive and has no taste.

Archa is too weak.

The worst beer I ever drank in Thailand was Federbrau.

OP asking for beer tasting on TV is worthless since anyone who's actualy moderately into beer or hasnt been brought up in a lower class community drinking cheap american girly beer will hate every thai beer on the market, and they will try to survive with heineiken being almost drinkable.

Thank god for supermakets that carry beerlao or stella artois, although these beer still kind of suck balls when you're used to have a bunch of microbrews in your own country.

The only way to not taste the ratpee in every thai beer is to be a smoker or to have killed your whole tastebud during your life.

Stella Artois is one of the worst Belgian beers.

In Belgium it is called "koppijnbier" (head ache beer).

QUOTE (syd barrett @ 2009-01-28 12:38:38) The ultimate 'Tramp Juice' is Siam Sato priced at 24 Baht a big bottle. When you start on that stuff, it's time to brush-up your will and select a cremation Wat.

What IS Siam Sato? It's not beer, that's for sure - more like a fortified wine, I think. Bloody strong. I remember a taxi driver recommending it to me whilst in a 7/11 in the early hours - he'd clearly had a few already, then asked me if I wanted a ride anywhere when I left the shop. I politely declined.

I actually, genuinely, like Archa's! It must be ice cold though, and the bottles are better than the cans. It's 5.6%, so it's NOT weak.

Singha's the only 'proper' bog standard beer IMO. Dark BeerLao's very good, but entirely unavailable in shops; whatever anyone says. You can buy crates of it directly from the brewery, but they don't have a distribution deal with supermarkets as far as I know.

Siam Sato is a rice wine, with 8 % less strong than a real wine (generally 11 ½ - 13 ½ %).

My Thai wife says it is like Japanese sake, but that is too much honour.

If you like the taste, it is OK as long you do not drink too much of it (to avoid dehydration).

You can drink it the way Germans drink a small schnapps with their beer.

It seems Leo is very popular. So does anyone know why you can rarely get it/or is not popular in the tourist areas or even Bangkok, Sukhumvit area?

John.....

In Pattaya you can get Leo beer everywhere.

QUOTE (h90 @ 2009-02-03 20:36:30) QUOTE (Geekfreaklover @ 2009-02-03 20:29:36) Domestic Thai beers. Beers brewed in Thailand - my personal rating. Top 10.

1. Leo

2. Tiger

3. San Migual (light or gold)

4. Singha (light or gold)

5. Heineken

6. Tuburg

7. Archa

8. Chang

9. Thai beer (the one with the horse label) ?

10. Cheers

tuburg (spelling correct???) is available here?

Not sure about the spelling, but I think it's brewed in Thailand? Or is it brewed in Malaysia?

Tuborg is also a Danish beer, but I prefer the taste of Carlsberg.

Not sure if it available here.

Cheers. Probably the worst beer in the world - ever. It has a strange chemical perfume taste. I guess the beer makers have other interests that prop up Cheers. Can't imagine it pays for itself as a business.

Agreed.. Cheers is downright horrible.

But so is another fairly new one with a German-sounding name - can't quite recall the exact name though.

OP asking for beer tasting on TV is worthless since anyone who's actualy moderately into beer or hasnt been brought up in a lower class community drinking cheap american girly beer will hate every thai beer on the market, and they will try to survive with heineiken being almost drinkable.

Thank god for supermakets that carry beerlao or stella artois, although these beer still kind of suck balls when you're used to have a bunch of microbrews in your own country.

The only way to not taste the ratpee in every thai beer is to be a smoker or to have killed your whole tastebud during your life.

Stella Artois is one of the worst Belgian beers.

In Belgium it is called "koppijnbier" (head ache beer).

thats funny coz in NZ, Stella Artois is a premium beer and people like it laugh.gif

990000-overall.gif

ratebeer_lc_print.gif

2.gif0.gif

Stella Artois

Brewed by: InBev Belgium

Origin: Leuven, Belgium

Beer style: Pale Lager

The colour of pale lager ranges from light bronze to nearly transparent and the alcohol anywhere from 4-6%. Adjunct usage may be quite high, though in some cases the beer is all-malt. Carbonation is typically forced, though not always. One thing that doesn't vary is that neither the malt nor the hops make much of an impression on the palate. These beers are brewed for minimum character, though faint traces of hop or malt may show through. More likely though is that adjuncts like corn will show through, or you'll find notes of higher alcohols (fuel notes) due to the use of high-gravity brewing. The body will be thin and watery, and the finish is typically non-existent.

Why beer sellers have to use young girls with litter clothing to sell their products in restauranst?

What is litter clothing, is it a new fashion statement?:)

Little.

The poster is challenged by not having English as first language.

Or drunk.

Why beer sellers have to use young girls with litter clothing to sell their products in restauranst?

Sex sells baby...sex sells!!

I've been through all the beers over the years.

To be honest, they're all cr-p.

Beer Laos is good. The Dark beer in Cambodia is good, I forget the name.

Red Horse you can buy in Tesco Lotus is OK but quite strong.

I'm bored of them all now. I drink wine or whiskey.

The 5 litre red wine Rosso is drinkable at 900 baht.

Any decent wine is a fortune..