Rennets In Thailand

kmj

Hi, I've some experience making cheese when in the UK, and want to make some here in Thai,

I'm having success getting a clean taste with using a lime/lemon mix as a starter for my soft herb cheeses but does anyone know where I can buy Rennets in Thailand or will it clear customs ok if I order from the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks GungaDin,

That's my aim and buffalo mozzarella on a small(ish) scale but the ripening in these temperatures will be a challenge 12 - 16 °C for up to 90+ days, the best option I've come up with up to now is a generator run 2nd hand cool-produce shipping container although this doesn’t offer much backup support if the generator fails :o

maybe I'll look into renting some chiller space at one of the food processing factories...

• 5 months later...

Wine fridges or beverage display fridges work pretty good but you still need to monitor the RH.

As for Rennet, there is no supply in Thailand. I have contacted every place that I could. All of the small cheese producers that I have talked to get their rennet shipped in. You can make your own animal rennet. There is a supplier of rennet in Korea, but I just order powder rennet and mix it myself.

You said that you thought of making buffalo Mozz. Where can you get a supply of buffalo milk? I did some searching but the species of buffalo here don't produce alot of milk.

Temp Temp ... temperature guys - thats the big enemy in Thailand. Mind you, all Minor Food Groups cheese for Domino's Pizza is made in Pak Chong ironically - but you'd hardly call that a proper cheese now would you.

A good Buffulo Moazzarello and/or a good rennet ...... if you can source it in Thailand, let me know - I'd also love some.

You can get some rather decent cheeses on the top floor of the Emporuim at the Food Court - near to where they sell the wines (do they still sell wines up there - I haven;t been up in a couple years now)?

PS - the Asian water buffulo is hopeless for cheese production - the milk in terms of both quantity and quality is not ideal.

Can't help with the search for rennet but can confirm that you can still get decent cheese, at a price, in Emporium. They still sell wine, though not a large shop. You can mistakenly miss it as it is only a small door on the left as you head to the food court and if you come from another direction, you would not see it at all.