What Are The Internet Options Other Than Tt&t And Tot?

heybruce

I realize the answer is probably scattered around this forum, but perhaps someone can summarize it here: What are the internet options in Chiang Mai?

I had reasonable service with Maxnet at City View (after I switched to a plan with a lower contention ratio), but had to change to TOT when I moved to Hillside 3. TOT is useless--sometimes I can't connect at all, or if I can connect I can't stay connected. When I can stay connected the speed is very slow. For some reason TT&T can't provide service here. Is True cable internet accepting customers? Is the fact that my cable quality is poor a problem? What is the cost/speed/reliability of internet using mobile phones? Is there a plan that does not limit the time or data downloads? Are there other options I haven't thought of? Any information is appreciated.

Hey Bruce

I just wrote in another thread that there are a lot of options. With both TOT and TT&T, there are a lot of internet service providers that you can choose from. For example, TT&T usually shows you their Maxnet program. However, there are many other companies that you can get you internet service through (with the TT&T line). I used to have the full list but I've misplaced it. I do remember Loxinfo, KSC and CS NET, CAT.

TOT has slightly less options but you still have choice. From my experience, KSC is a pretty good company. Their speeds are good and their service is excellent. If my connection goes down, I call them and within 15 minutes I'm back online. I'm sure a lot of the other smaller companies have the same kind of service.

Here's a link to get you started but I know that there are many others as well....

http://www.yellow.co.th/YellowPages/Chiang...iders_map.1.htm

Hey Bruce

I just wrote in another thread that there are a lot of options. With both TOT and TT&T, there are a lot of internet service providers that you can choose from. For example, TT&T usually shows you their Maxnet program. However, there are many other companies that you can get you internet service through (with the TT&T line). I used to have the full list but I've misplaced it. I do remember Loxinfo, KSC and CS NET, CAT.

TOT has slightly less options but you still have choice. From my experience, KSC is a pretty good company. Their speeds are good and their service is excellent. If my connection goes down, I call them and within 15 minutes I'm back online. I'm sure a lot of the other smaller companies have the same kind of service.

Here's a link to get you started but I know that there are many others as well....

I have been a Loxinfo user for more than ten years (simply to keep my address)

If it weren't for that I would dump them poste haste. Their services in general are <deleted> "and expensive"

I should note that I do not use their ADSL

Edited by john b good

Hey Bruce

Thanks for the info. I'm stuck with a TOT phone line, TT&T is "full" here. I'll start calling alternate providers right away, starting with KSC. Do they have English speaking customer service?

Try CAT.

Only once a problem, called and they said "It will be back up in 15 minutes" 12 minutes later, working perfectly.

Had problems when I moved to CM, all the same excuses from TOT ( no phone line, I told 'em that I was calling them on their phone line..) TT&T said no service in my area..Landlady's friend suggested CAT.

Called 'em. " 1 week" they said.

Installed their own line, less than a klick from the hub ( Meechoc plaza ) and was up and running.

Overall I am very pleased with the service. Almost as good as Qwest back home in Arizona.

Arizona?

Yep, GO CARDS!!! Beat the shit outta the Steelers

Try CAT.

Only once a problem, called and they said "It will be back up in 15 minutes" 12 minutes later, working perfectly.

Had problems when I moved to CM, all the same excuses from TOT ( no phone line, I told 'em that I was calling them on their phone line..) TT&T said no service in my area..Landlady's friend suggested CAT.

Called 'em. " 1 week" they said.

Installed their own line, less than a klick from the hub ( Meechoc plaza ) and was up and running.

Overall I am very pleased with the service. Almost as good as Qwest back home in Arizona.

Arizona?

Yep, GO CARDS!!! Beat the shit outta the Steelers

I'd like to look into it. Where can I get more information?

HeyBruce

KSC does have locally-based English speaking customer service. I don't have the local number on my at the moment but their language is not bad. At my previous home, I also had TOT. KSC told me that their service is MUCH better with a TT&T line. Apparently all internet with TOT lines go through Bangkok first. Not sure if this is true but KSC told me that TT&T lines are much faster overall.

As far as fibre optic, I have also heard that it is in Chiang Mai. I don't know who is offering it but apparently it's in a few areas already. If CAT does say that they have it, make sure to post.

IN the past I have used ji-net and written about it several times on other threads in this-here forum on exactly the same issue. For about 1,500 or less you get great internet speeds (adsl) and only share with like 10 ppl. Look 'em up and give them a call. They have Eng speaking ppl that can sort-of help you. Thai is best if you can do it. You sign up thru TOT though I believe. In 5 yrs here, I've used them for about 2.5 of those yrs, up until last May when I moved. Since then TOT has been doing me just fine.

First, thanks to all who replied.

My three step plan is:

1. See if TOT sends the promised technician tomorrow, and if he accomplishes anything.

2. If 1 is not satisfactory, and possibly if it is (I'm considering the belt and suspenders approach), I will call CAT, KSC, and visit the True office (which I located on a soi off Mani Noppharat, the road north of the moat, about half way between Icon and Chang Phuak) and see what they have to offer.

3. Possibly get a 4000 baht air card and a 200 baht a month plan for mobile internet. I don't remember the name of the shop, it's close to the entrance of Tops at Kad Suan Kaew. The air card promised something like 136K download speed. I'm sure it will be slower, but if it just maintains a connection it will be a big improvement over what I have now.

By the way, the 400 baht a month WiFi I'm currently using at Hillside 3 has worked fine for the two weeks I've used it. It even handles internet radio, most of the time. But I have concerns about security, and won't do my banking, taxes, or anything using a credit card on it.

Once again, thanks to all who replied. I'll post any useful info or results.

CAT

( Chiang Mai )

053-261 17426

The wife keeps telling me that it's fibre optic, don't know how she knows this, I don't.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the service.

Good luck.

I get a "number not assigned" message when I dial this. Could you double check the number please?

CAT

( Chiang Mai )

053-261 17426

The wife keeps telling me that it's fibre optic, don't know how she knows this, I don't.

Good luck.

I get a "number not assigned" message when I dial this. Could you double check the number please?

Hummm...normally my woman is correct on her information, she must have slipped.

The main contact number ( contact center ) is: 1322

I checked the website ( "cattelecom ", use the www and then the dot com, all in Thai and since it would take me a year to read it) and this seems to be the one.

Sorry for the confusion.

( See, shows on how much I have had to complain to them about their service ) :o

CAT

( Chiang Mai )

053-261 17426

Good luck.

I checked the website ( "cattelecom ", use the www and then the dot com, all in Thai and since it would take me a year to read it) and this seems to be the one.

Sorry for the confusion.

( See, shows on how much I have had to complain to them about their service ) :o

It's possible that the number changed. It's sort of OBE now. The TOT technician came today, ran some checks, then told me that my connection was good but TOT's system was down. A few hours later I read at this thread "http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Current-International-Internet-Spee-t202574.html&st=25" that TOT was blazing at other parts of Chiang Mai, while it was still crawling for me. I was sufficiently disgusted to immediately sign up for True Cable internet. However I will keep the call center number in case True proves to be a disappointment, I won't know until after it is installed on Friday. Thanks for your efforts.

Speaking of TOT...

Possibly going to move to the country down towards Nakon Nayok but it depends on the type of internet service I can get..( and I'm getting a baby elephant and a chicken...)

Contacted TOT in that area who told us they would have to check the distance from the hub to the house..well, they called this date and said that we are do-able for ADSL, we informed them that I needed the fastest they could give to which she replied during the conversation that the speed all depends on how many you share the line with. (On CAT I share with 5. NFI )

The Unit asked how many were on the line there.." 20 ? " she asked...

"Oh no" stated the TOT person..

" much more than that "

I realize the answer is probably scattered around this forum, but perhaps someone can summarize it here: What are the internet options in Chiang Mai?

I had reasonable service with Maxnet at City View (after I switched to a plan with a lower contention ratio), but had to change to TOT when I moved to Hillside 3. TOT is useless--sometimes I can't connect at all, or if I can connect I can't stay connected. When I can stay connected the speed is very slow. For some reason TT&T can't provide service here. Is True cable internet accepting customers? Is the fact that my cable quality is poor a problem? What is the cost/speed/reliability of internet using mobile phones? Is there a plan that does not limit the time or data downloads? Are there other options I haven't thought of? Any information is appreciated.

Via true internet wich is now available in Chiangmai you have no telephoneline or whatever needed.

It is cableinternet. So go to truenet in Airportplaza 3rd floor :o

I am eager to hear more about CAT, KSC, and True. I frankly don't see how TOT and TT&T have their acts together (at least yet). In particular, Iam interested in True, because the iPhone and True are matching up. iPhone will be in Chiang Mai "soon." And I don't mean "hacked" iPhones. I think that is a big, big mistake to make.

Does anyone have a truly helpful lists of phone numbers and office locations?

I am eager to hear more about CAT, KSC, and True. I frankly don't see how TOT and TT&T have their acts together (at least yet). In particular, Iam interested in True, because the iPhone and True are matching up. iPhone will be in Chiang Mai "soon." And I don't mean "hacked" iPhones. I think that is a big, big mistake to make.

Does anyone have a truly helpful lists of phone numbers and office locations?

iPhone is already here and sold by True. Their coverage sucks though, so I would wait until AIS starts selling it, which should happen pretty soon I reckon. Or if your wallet permits, get the officially unlocked one from HK. I think its around 35,000 in Pantip.

In terms of Internet, CAT is the way to go. They do not rely on the phone lines, but pull their own copper cable into your house (not fibre optic). I had CAT for a little over a month now and it has not been down even once. I use 3/1 mbps and pay 2,500 baht per month. They do have budget packages as well starting at 890 baht for 2 mbps. Works great, download speed is 200-300 kbps on average. There was a minor speed problem in the beginning, but after we called them it was fixed and I had no problems after that. Previously I used CAT in Phuket for a few years and they were far better than any of the others, and trust me, I tried them all.

Edit: I should add that you have to check their promotions in Thai as the English one is not updated. The prices are here.

Edited by mrsouza

I signed up for True internet on Monday and was told I would get the cable installed today, Friday. Nobody had shown by mid-afternoon so I called and was told the the cable junction here was full. The fact that I had to make three phone calls to learn this doesn't make them look like a well run operation.

Time to try the CAT number.

CAT

( Chiang Mai )

053-261 17426

Good luck.

Sorry for the confusion.

True internet fell through, instead of sending someone to install cable today, I was told the cable box is full. So I'm back to trying to contact CAT.

The call center number works and there is an English option, but the customer service option put me on hold for over ten minutes, when I hung up. Does anyone know if CAT has an office in Chiang Mai?

Hopefully they will be able to install for you.

I have only had problem in a year w/CAT.

They are excellent.

iPhone in Thailand..

The coverage sucks cuz Thailand dosent have the technology to support it.....yet.

I bet it works in Cambodia though.

Hopefully they will be able to install for you.

I have only had problem in a year w/CAT.

They are excellent.

iPhone in Thailand..

The coverage sucks cuz Thailand dosent have the technology to support it.....yet.

I bet it works in Cambodia though.

Do they have an office or phone #?

Heybruce,

Yeah, the office is on the Superhiway right before you pass the flyover to the airport. ( don't know which way you're coming from but for me it's heading out towards Lampang ) Big building with large sat dish and right next door to the CM Provincial Police.

Phone number is; 053 261 174 ( or 175 or 176 ) I just made the wife call it to insure it is correct. ( It is )

Press "0" after the introduction in Thai for english.

Again, choc dii.

Heybruce,

Yeah, the office is on the Superhiway right before you pass the flyover to the airport. ( don't know which way you're coming from but for me it's heading out towards Lampang ) Big building with large sat dish and right next door to the CM Provincial Police.

Phone number is; 053 261 174 ( or 175 or 176 ) I just made the wife call it to insure it is correct. ( It is )

Again, choc dii.

Thanks much. I called, but was asked to call again tomorrow. Hopefully I can get something started soon. I really want to do better than TOT.

Heybruce,

Again, choc dii.

Thanks much. I called, but was asked to call again tomorrow. Hopefully I can get something started soon. I really want to do better than TOT.

Ok, CAT is 1800 baht a month, which is pricey but possibly worth it if it is reliable and fast. My 4Mb/s TOT connection delivers maybe 30kb/s on a good day, and has a lot of bad days. How is CAT?

I've just moved to a hilly area between Hang Dong and Samoeng which has no telephone lines. Someone recommended that I try the CAT wireless internet service which according to the CAT brochure provides a speed of up to 3Mbps for about 900baht/mth. However where our house is located mobile phone signals are weak since we are located in a "shadow" for reception. A guy at CAT said no problem, I could put up a tall antenna to capture the signal from their tower at Rajaphreuk and gave me the tel. no. of someone who could put up the antenna.

Has anyone had experience with the CAT CMDA service and/or using a tall antenna to capture a wireless signal?

I'm hoping that it will be the right solution for us and that we'll also be able to use the same antenna to set up house telephone since our mobile phones are worthless there. It would be a wireless land line if you will.

If this doesn't work for us I suppose our only remaining option is installing a large satellite dish for internet.

After constant problems lately with my MaxNet service they finally sent someone to the house today who said I should get a new router. From what I was told if I signup for another 1 year service agreement I would pay 100 baht to get another router with the other option to buy it outright for 1600 baht.

Since getting another router doesn't guarantee I won't continue to have problems I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has been using CAT, which I am now considering. I live in KoolPunt Ville 7 off Hang Dong so it would be great to know if anyone else is in this area that has CAT for their service. I'd hate to cancel this service only to end up with something even worse.