Car Import Update

tuktukmike

Moonfruit. Your correct it was unfortunate for Mike.

"but at least he had the balls to give it a go, while a bunch of armchair warriors (mostly brits!) had a go at him for whatever reason!"

Well Mike is a Brit as well. The main reason that mostly Brits said it could not be done is quite simple 'we can read' and to date i am pretty sure that NO ONE has managed to import a 2nd hand car successfully as a personal import. Correct me if i'm wrong. as a guess your a yank.

Well I saw a nice 80's model left drive Winnebago motor home driving around Phuket several months ago.. So I guess someone got at least that in..

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with customs is (besides being the most corrupt branch of govt because they don't get paid much salary) is that THEY get to put the value of the car. No matter it is worth 8,000 pounds in England or 10,000 in the US, they can put a value so high that you have to walk away. Even at fair market value it is alot of money. Here is an example, I wanted to bring my 2001 Camaro SS over for a daily driver. Fair market price in the US was $15,000. How much would it cost coming through customs, 15,000 times 300% (because it is over 3 liters) less a 70% discount (because it is older than 8 years) which leaves me paying customs $13,500 for a car I already own. A classic is worse because there is no Book value for the car. If I brought my 1961 Pontiac (picture below) they probably put a value of $70,000 because they saw one at Barrett Jackson auction bring that much. So I would end up paying 70,000 times 300% less 70% or $63,000 for a car that is worth about $40,000.

Then there is the illegal way of doing it. Buy a Blue Book and license plate for they vehicle you want to bring in. Doesn't have to be exact. Say I have a 996 Porsche I want to bring in. Buy a book and plate from a wrecked Porsche for about 100,000 baht. Then bring the car over in pieces, assemble it and your on your way.

BP61Pontiac.jpg

The problem with customs is (besides being the most corrupt branch of govt because they don't get paid much salary) is that THEY get to put the value of the car. No matter it is worth 8,000 pounds in England or 10,000 in the US, they can put a value so high that you have to walk away. Even at fair market value it is alot of money. Here is an example, I wanted to bring my 2001 Camaro SS over for a daily driver. Fair market price in the US was $15,000. How much would it cost coming through customs, 15,000 times 300% (because it is over 3 liters) less a 70% discount (because it is older than 8 years) which leaves me paying customs $13,500 for a car I already own. A classic is worse because there is no Book value for the car. If I brought my 1961 Pontiac (picture below) they probably put a value of $70,000 because they saw one at Barrett Jackson auction bring that much. So I would end up paying 70,000 times 300% less 70% or $63,000 for a car that is worth about $40,000.

Then there is the illegal way of doing it. Buy a Blue Book and license plate for they vehicle you want to bring in. Doesn't have to be exact. Say I have a 996 Porsche I want to bring in. Buy a book and plate from a wrecked Porsche for about 100,000 baht. Then bring the car over in pieces, assemble it and your on your way.

BP61Pontiac.jpg

This was a old fashion way, which some big us classic car dealers done 10 years ago (i don't want name the guy). Therefore you could see some 79 Trans Ams with nice T- Tops on the road with 73 Pontiac (Bonnevile) books. But finally the custom found out and the guy have to stop his business. There aren't stupid anymore, specialy if you try to sell the car after that and if you need to show the vehicle to the ministery of transportation and sometime you have to. They can confiscate the vehicles anytime, if they find out, wihout any reason. Another problem: Usualle there is no wrecked Porsche available, because even it was a total damage, they will build it up again and sell for full price, instead of selling the book for a 100'k.

15,000 times 300% (because it is over 3 liters) less a 70% discount (because it is older than 8 years) which leaves me paying customs $13,500 for a car I already own.

Customs Value

Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized dealer.

If the purchase price in 4.1.1 is not available, the price listed in the Parkers Car Price Guide, Japanese Car and What Car ?

Costs of any modification or improvement of parts or accessories done on the vehicle are also taken into account.

In case where the vehicle is damaged by any incidents other than normal use e.g car accidents, fire, etc. the price of the vehicle is discounted as appropriate.

The Customs value for used/secondhand vehicles is discounted according to the registration period as shown in the given table below:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...anentImport.jsp

15,000 times 300% (because it is over 3 liters) less a 70% discount (because it is older than 8 years) which leaves me paying customs $13,500 for a car I already own.

Customs Value

Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized dealer.

If the purchase price in 4.1.1 is not available, the price listed in the Parkers Car Price Guide, Japanese Car and What Car ?

Costs of any modification or improvement of parts or accessories done on the vehicle are also taken into account.

In case where the vehicle is damaged by any incidents other than normal use e.g car accidents, fire, etc. the price of the vehicle is discounted as appropriate.

The Customs value for used/secondhand vehicles is discounted according to the registration period as shown in the given table below:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...anentImport.jsp

I have read this calculation for years and still don't understand how they get to the total sum.

* CIF value of the import

= 100 Thai Baht

* Import duty

= 80 % so that should be 80 baht

* Excise tax

= 35 % in case they calculate it on value + import tax=180 x 35% = 63 baht

* Interior tax

= 10 % of excise tax so 10% on 63 Baht is 6.3 baht

* VAT

= 7 % on the total.Value(100)+ import duty(80) + excise tax(63) + interior tax(6.3)=17.45 baht

Total taxes and duties = 1 + 2 + 3 + 5 = 213.171 Thai Baht

In my calculation that would make 166.75 baht total taxes and duties.Anyone can explain where they get the 46.42 baht extra taxes.

Edit:I just notice that they even don't calculate the interior tax into the total taxes and duties 1+2+3+5

Edited by basjke

I sold the 850 :) !! Took a pittance for it (10k EUR) but someone went and collected it from storage with flat batterys etc and just wired the money so cut my losses, should have sold it really before I letf but I loved it so much I always kinda hoped not to part with it..

Oddly enough I just found some old pics of it today.. Hadnt given it a thought in years.

I spent about 18k NLG on the alpine in dash navi / CD / DVD etc way back when it was all brand new tech, so 5k plus EUR on internals !! fark I gave that away !!

Not a bad motor for a gypsy kid in his 20's !!

Jesus... 10EUR for a CSI.... a steal... I had to pull up this thread again (sorry LivinLOS I was calling you LaoPo for some reason... he hasn't been around for awhile) because I found a ridiculous (read awesome) CSI in NY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-8-Serie...08#ht_500wt_958

Good god... Alpine White... mmm... so hard to find, the CSIs... I've only seen one or two (real ones) in person and only ever driven one... plenty of 850i, Ci, blah blah around but the CSI is a real jewel. I'm thinking about moving back to the US just for the cheap cars...

I still can't believe you let it go for 10K EUR, I would have paid more :D

(girlx you suck for making me all car-crazy again, I was off it for all of what, 4 weeks...)

Talking to a guy yesterday while my car was having a service, he had a nice black Volvo S40 T, turns out he imported it, he said it was easy and went without a hitch..

Only problem he said was parts as many are not the same as the S40 in Thailand.

You did not add in the cost of shipping to the vehicle value before doing the other maths.

Its crazy, you have to pay the taxes on the shipping cost + value :)

CIF = Cost, Insurance & Freight. So already included the the value of 100.

Many countries use CIF value when calculating customs duty and other import taxes. Australia, for example, is in a minority by using FOB (ie customs value doesn't include F&I)

Edited by jackspratt

Talking to a guy yesterday while my car was having a service, he had a nice black Volvo S40 T, turns out he imported it, he said it was easy and went without a hitch..

I was driving along sukomvit the other day and there was an 85 volvo t5 R in yellow parked with for sale on it, i had one in the uk and sold it in 04 for 1500 pounds ( 75,000 baht ) my wife rang the owner as the number was on the screen, he wanted 800,000 baht !,we went straight into nissan and bought a new 09 navara for the same money, crazy,

I was driving along sukomvit the other day and there was an 85 volvo t5 R in yellow parked with for sale on it, i had one in the uk and sold it in 04 for 1500 pounds ( 75,000 baht ) my wife rang the owner as the number was on the screen, he wanted 800,000 baht !,we went straight into nissan and bought a new 09 navara for the same money, crazy,

That is silly money :) , there is a very nice one For Sale with FULL Volvo Service History.... 1998 Volvo 850 T5R Yellow Estate 380,000 baht not far from me, also there was another one a couple of months back for 430,000 baht..

800,000 baht is a V70 T5 2004 money......... Edit these cost 2.8 million here in 2004 !!

Edited by ignis

I have been looking at general car prices in Thailand. If you want a Mercedes, Porsche or another "high end" car they are going for 10 times the amount that you can get the same exact used car in the USA for. A 2001 Porsche Boxter was going for 146,000 US dollars that I can buy here in a price range of 10,000 to 15,000 dollars. Lol. It totally blew me away! HUGE markup on high end cars. hel_l you could bribe and pay the 200% extra and still come out smelling like a rose when you have that kind of price tag looming. It states that you can provide your own receipt as well on the Thai customs site. I am assuming it would have to be notarized and such. But if you bought a car for example at 10,000 paid the 20,000 import tax you would still be miles ahead of the 146,000 dollar mark.

or another "high end" car they are going for 10 times the amount that you can get the same exact used car in the USA for

We live in Thailand, 2nd hand cars are expensive, and NOT just 'high end'

1996 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.5 GXi AT @ 239,000 baht

1996 AUDI A6 2.3 AT @ 239,000 baht

1996 HONDA CIVIC EXi 1.6 at 295,000 baht

1996 BMW SERIES 3 316i E36 AT 295,000 baht

1996 BMW SERIES 3 325i E36 AT @ 298,000 baht

I was driving along sukomvit the other day and there was an 85 volvo t5 R in yellow parked with for sale on it, i had one in the uk and sold it in 04 for 1500 pounds ( 75,000 baht ) my wife rang the owner as the num

ber was on the screen, he wanted 800,000 baht !,we went straight into nissan and bought a new 09 navara for the same money, crazy,

I have been looking at general car prices in Thailand. If you want a Mercedes, Porsche or another "high end" car they are going for 10 times the amount that you can get the same exact used car in the USA for. A 2001 Porsche Boxter was going for 146,000 US dollars that I can buy here in a price range of 10,000 to 15,000 dollars. Lol. It totally blew me away! HUGE markup on high end cars. hel_l you could bribe and pay the 200% extra and still come out smelling like a rose when you have that kind of price tag looming. It states that you can provide your own receipt as well on the Thai customs site. I am assuming it would have to be notarized and such. But if you bought a car for example at 10,000 paid the 20,000 import tax you would still be miles ahead of the 146,000 dollar mark.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are cars not left hand drive in the states.

I think it would turn the rose in to a dandilion converting to a right hander

Hi all,

Ok, I am ready for a dress down...expected....but why ARE imported car tax ridiculously high?

Is it literally down to the fact that Toyota builds loads of cars/trucks here and assume Honda does as well? Therefore, they don't want any external influences to 'rock the boat' and affect the economy?

I wonder if Thailand will ever become a free market?

Makes me laugh, importing stuff to the UK from Thailand is not too bad, as it is a lot of stuff is classed as a 'third world country', but Thailand....third world? I have a lot of words to describe it but 'third world'.....I don't think so.....just look at house prices!

Why ? there plenty of left hand drive car on the roads here with Thai plates

Hi all,

Ok, I am ready for a dress down...expected....but why ARE imported car tax ridiculously high?

Is it literally down to the fact that Toyota builds loads of cars/trucks here and assume Honda does as well? Therefore, they don't want any external influences to 'rock the boat' and affect the economy?

Makes me laugh, importing stuff to the UK from Thailand is not too bad, as it is a lot of stuff is classed as a 'third world country', but Thailand....third world? I have a lot of words to describe it but 'third world'.....I don't think so.....just look at house prices!

[/quote

My opinion,

any time a countrires largest organized crime organization consists of the police.... that country is 3rd world

Hi all,

You have to consider the roadconditions in Pattaya, then you regonize, it's third world. Road conditons in Pattaya and Jomtien are similar like Hitlers Germany after the war.

You did not add in the cost of shipping to the vehicle value before doing the other maths.

Its crazy, you have to pay the taxes on the shipping cost + value :D

Many countries use CIF value when calculating customs duty and other import taxes. Australia, for example, is in a minority by using FOB (ie customs value doesn't include F&I)

My apologies, i didn't know what CIF was :)

I still thinks its ridiculous & illogical that shipping + insurance cost is added in, how the hel_l can that affect the value!?

Its crazy, you have to pay the taxes on the shipping cost + value :D

My apologies, i didn't know what CIF was :)

I still thinks its ridiculous & illogical that shipping + insurance cost is added in, how the hel_l can that affect the value!?

The same formula is used worldwide for calculating import duty.

Plenty? Where???

Plenty? Where???

Driving around on the roads, mostly all are on Thai plates, but have seen at least 2 still on GB plates, 3 still on German plates.

Most are USA cars, but there are lots of European cars LHD.....

From the Village were I live to the main road = 7 km, have seen 8 LHD cars many times, 2x USA, 1x I kow and belongs to a Thai Policeman, 2x Ford Capri, 1 is black Mk 2 the other is green Mk3 280 'Brooklands' 1x W126 cream lady driver Benz, 1x Opal Corsa, 1x Renault 25, 1x VW Bus belongs to a Thai garage owner, ALL these are on Thai plates.... Then on the main road there are 2 side of the road stall sellers with LHD cars from the USA and a LHD Astra Estate.. These are cars I see often while driving to the local Supermarket... Noticed a few different ones driving to Nonbaburi often + a good few while driving to other places

Looking for another car last September found there were a number of LHD in Tents for sale

Plenty? Where???

Driving around on the roads, mostly all are on Thai plates, but have seen at least 2 still on GB plates, 3 still on German plates.

Most are USA cars, but there are lots of European cars LHD.....

From the Village were I live to the main road = 7 km, have seen 8 LHD cars many times, 2x USA, 1x I kow and belongs to a Thai Policeman, 2x Ford Capri, 1 is black Mk 2 the other is green Mk3 280 'Brooklands' 1x W126 cream lady driver Benz, 1x Opal Corsa, 1x Renault 25, 1x VW Bus belongs to a Thai garage owner, ALL these are on Thai plates.... Then on the main road there are 2 side of the road stall sellers with LHD cars from the USA and a LHD Astra Estate.. These are cars I see often while driving to the local Supermarket... Noticed a few different ones driving to Nonbaburi often + a good few while driving to other places

Looking for another car last September found there were a number of LHD in Tents for sale

Do you know what kind of US Cars? Prices, Condition? Maybe i'm interested. (US Cars only)

Do you know what kind of US Cars? Prices, Condition? Maybe i'm interested. (US Cars only)

Re Then on the main road there are 2 side of the road stall sellers with LHD cars.. These 2 US cars are owned and driven everyday..

as was a very nice LHD early Ford Mustang just in front of me yesterday on Ratchada Rd, and a big old gold Cadillac near the old airport..

As for buying a US car there is another post a few months back with a list of US car spotted for sale.

Nice car, saw a few back in the UK. Very rare and collectable even in the country they were made.

They were the last 1000 or so Capri's ever built. All 'Brooklands' green metallic, 1 inch bigger alloys,LSD,special edition numbered plaque & unique interior.

I dreamed of owning one once :)

Dave

There are some very rare UK cars here, makes me wonder how they got here..

Nest door to my friends house in BKK a Thai guy has a 2 tone green 1959 Armstrong 4lt Star..

not far from me a rare Austin Cambridge A60 Countryman. on the main road there is a Black and Red Austin Cambridge A60 Van in daily use, another rare car when I pass it is almost always in a different place a Volvo Amazon Estate this car appears to be in showroom condition but for the past year or so the rear window has plastic over it, also at the same place there are 2x 144 Volvo's, a 264 and a rare PV445 Estate, for the past few months the 2 Thai guy at this house have been working on a Volvo 121, they appeared to strip it, now it is fully re painted in cream as of Wednesday there was no glass, lights, interior yet in, and covered over it not being worked on

There are some very rare UK cars here, makes me wonder how they got here..

Nest door to my friends house in BKK a Thai guy has a 2 tone green 1959 Armstrong 4lt Star..

not far from me a rare Austin Cambridge A60 Countryman. on the main road there is a Black and Red Austin Cambridge A60 Van in daily use, another rare car when I pass it is almost always in a different place a Volvo Amazon Estate this car appears to be in showroom condition but for the past year or so the rear window has plastic over it, also at the same place there are 2x 144 Volvo's, a 264 and a rare PV445 Estate, for the past few months the 2 Thai guy at this house have been working on a Volvo 121, they appeared to strip it, now it is fully re painted in cream as of Wednesday there was no glass, lights, interior yet in, and covered over it not being worked on

When I came to LOS first time in 1970 there where only UK cars here, as I remember. Edit: Just recalled some Fiat and Volvo Amazon too.

Just like today, the smaller ones had to yield for the larger ones

Edited by katabeachbum

Exotic new cars are expensive here because you have to pay 328% in import taxes plus a dealer make up. So it comes out that you are paying about 4 times what you would pay for them in the States. Read the Customs regulations and learn.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...PersonalPer#tax

Exotic new cars are expensive here because you have to pay 328% in import taxes plus a dealer make up. So it comes out that you are paying about 4 times what you would pay for them in the States. Read the Customs regulations and learn.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...PersonalPer#tax

In THEORY you're right, but in actuality this isn't happening.  If it was happening, you'd be seeing a lot more cars imported here and then sold at a huge profit. Take your boxster.  In theory you pay a total of 35K USD to get the car here, then sell at 5-6 million baht.  Don't you think this has been tried over and over and people end up getting the car stuck in customs, then later sold at auction.